Atheros Recommended Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Pharaoh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I doubt the behaviors in the builds since i used both the latest and the recommended builds.

Connections been up with both for over nine days without dropping.

You may have another factor causing issues here.
Sponsor
hellboyz77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pharaoh wrote:
I doubt the behaviors in the builds since i used both the latest and the recommended builds.

Maybe i should send it on assistance, i've not found any solution to this problem.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
hellboyz77 wrote:

Maybe i should send it on assistance, i've not found any solution to this problem.

Perhaps so, because i currently run 16785 and have great wireless with it, no drops, here is a pic of 3 days no drop client link.

Also i recommend 16785, its been one of the most rock solid builds for me thus far, and thats on my Atheros units and broadcom units.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Borage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ten days uptime with SVN revision 16994.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I only had one issue with 16994, DDNS is not functioning properly, ticket has been filled already, aside from that 16994 worked fine for me. But 16785 has everything working for me, even DDNS (which yes i do happen to use).

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Pharaoh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
hellboyz77 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

Could have a bad one it happens.
rody
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am still on 02-17-11-r16214 every build after this one drops my ath0, very frustrating. It will connect just fine and even start to download stuff but it is almost imposable to surf the web or anything else, I cant download files or watch netflix. I see that other people are using the linksys 400n with newer firmware, so it is possible I am setting up something wrong, but if it works on one build and not another then I doubt it.

rody
Pharaoh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
What are your settings and hardware?
rody
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am using the linksys 400n and have just loaded up the 16994 FW again, I have loaded up on 2 different routers and have the same issues with both they ether will not pick up the wan DHCP or will loose it very quickly, even if I set it up as static ip I cant brows the web, it is like the routing part of the program is broken... All that being said It is working right now and I am not sure why or for how long.

I have set this up from default only changing the password nothing else, so this piece of my network is wide open atm, but I never have these issues with the firmware from February.

also I have an old linksys wrt54g that I am having exactly the same issue with the 5/8 fw but if i flash to the February fw it is no problem again.

edit

ok it kind of looks like after I punched in static ip info then set it back to dhcp and went to the wan interface and released and renewed all of a sudden it started to work... this is very bizarre to me. Later I may reflash and see if i can duplicate.

rody
jradomski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
kingwaffle wrote:
Hmm...alright. I'll give that 16994 build a spin when I get home.

16994's DDNS function is not working, i had to roll back to 16785 because i do use DDNS, otherwise the build seemed to function fine for me elsewise.

when I try and ftp to a machine thats through this router (using 16785) It causes the network to lose the internet for a few minutes at a time.. how much data causes this is inconsistent.. whn I'm ftping its being port forwarded.. I'm reverting to 15704 which has worked fine in the past.
Takv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi to all!

By my experience, using r15778 was the most reliable... until some days ago.

Then I switched to r16785, it tripled wifi speed on WDS between two atheros units: Tp-link tl-wr741nd 2.0. From max 30 mbps, to 80-96 mbps (limited because routers 100 mbps switch).

But I'm still testing it to get better stability when more than 8 clients are connected. In the case of a P2MP configuration, I prefer r15778, but now I'll test 15704 and others, to test wireless speed plus stability. After my research I'll post results here.

Greeting to all!!!
SilverPuppy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 15:33    Post subject: Any news yet? Reply with quote
I am starting to have to migrate to Atheros-based hardware for high-powered applications thanks to Buffalo discontinuing the Broadcom-based WHR-HP-G54. I look forward to your results EAGERLY!
SilverPuppy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:33    Post subject: Update? Reply with quote
What ever became of the scientific-ish testing that was going to happen?
Takv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 15:04    Post subject: Results! Reply with quote
Hi again:

I'll post results of my tests.

1.- r15778: the results changes from using 15 dbi omni antenna against 10 dbi omni antenna. In both cases max troughput limited to 30 mbps udp on any mode, including ng-mixed with wpa2+aes, with or without amplifier.

Case 1: When I use a 15dbi omni antenna, I get a maximum of 19 mbps UDP at 300 / 500 meters. At about 3 / 5 / 8 hours the wireless resets. Some times it freezes. If there is more that 15 clients connected, the router reboots each 1 or 2 hours. In the best case the wireless ap remains connected between 8 to 16 hrs.

Case 2: When I use a 10 dbi omni antenna, I get the same bandwidth, including also at 800 meters, about 20 mbps UDP. Stability increases, reaching 4 days. Then, on some point the bandwidth starts to decrease. Suddenly it freezes connection, and also the access to the router. I have to disconnect the power supply. 2 times per week. By the way, the headaches decreased a bit, XD.

Apparent reason for freezing: the vertical pattern of the 10dbi omni antenna (20 degrees), for being so wide it grows interference. That makes the router go mad, and it returns a reseting code: 01.

Config: TP-Link TL-WR941ND 3.2 / TL-wr741ND 2.0, r15778, AP, Mix-NG, 20 mhz, CH 6, txpower 17 dbi, antenna gain 15 dbi, short preamble, tx_ant: 1, rx_ant: 1, ack timing: 2000m, WPA2+AES. I use 2w amplifier.

2 .- r16785: This version has improved things a lot, using it along with some commands.

The main reason I prefer this version is the bandwidth UDP. Easily reach 85-95 Mbps in Mixed-NG with wpa2 + aes, bounded by the switch router 10-100. Again things change according to the antenna. Here I detail this:

Case 1: When I use a 15dbi omni antenna, I get max 95 mbps UDP near the base. But for practical cases, I need to use 20 mhz only. This gives me a total of 65 mbps UDP near base. The bandwidth remains intact inclusive at 800 meters from the base. If there is more than 15 connected clients, It random reboots. May be 2 hours, may be 8 hrs, may be 16 hrs. But it still working after a short while, because I have added the "Reset Wireless Radio" script, found at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Useful_Scripts#Reset_Wireless_Radio

Case 2: When I use a 10dbi omni antenna, I get the same bandwidth, including far sites (+800m), but it varies. When more than 15 clients the wireless radio still up. 3 to 4 days without problems. The bandwidth remains high. Then, random reboot occurs. The script works like a charm.

Config: Same as point 1.

Conclusion:
The stability using a 10dbi omni antenna with amplifier and without script is great at r15778, but troughput is so bad... Although it worked nice for me for long time. I had a good experience and learning, including many tricks that I learned with it.

But the time had come to make a change, after reading a lot of posts on the forum, on every SoC. I switched to r16785, using a 10 dbi omni antenna, with amplifier and with script working at command line, I found the better way to deploy my atheros wireless network, and always only using one antenna. Figure it yourself, only one antenna. The results can be better using more than one. The troughput is really the great change between r15778 and r16785. DynDNS doesnt work @ r16785. I have a Mikrotik router as SOHO Router.

Any question is welcome.

Greetings to all!!

I'm still waiting for the athk9 dd-wrt!!!

All the push and encouragement to developers: BrainSlayer and Sash!

Come on! Release soon the new athk9 beta! We are waiting for it!

God bless all of you.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 22:35    Post subject: Re: Results! Reply with quote
Takv wrote:

DynDNS doesnt work @ r16785.

You need to check your config, 16785 was the last build which DDNS does work and its still the last build i recommend to people.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: