Unable to get new ZoneEdit working

joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 21:26    Post subject: Unable to get new ZoneEdit working Reply with quote
Router info:
Router Model Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) vpn - build 12548M NEWD Eko

My DDNS account on ZoneEdit was migrated to their "new" system (grrr...). Has worked great for years but now need to make it work again. They want me to use the following URL:

https://newapi.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?host=myhostname.com

When I put this into the URL field of the "Custom" setup with my username and password, I get the message "Connecting to server" in the DDNS Status area, but that's it and it definitely doesn't work. Changing from https to http also doesn't work.

Any help appreciated. I can telnet to my router but am not real familiar with file locations under Linux, so am wiling to manually edit things if I can figure out details of what.

Thanks.

-Jon C.
Sponsor
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 21:57    Post subject: Re: Unable to get new ZoneEdit working Reply with quote
joncarlson wrote:
My DDNS account on ZoneEdit was migrated to their "new" system ...

ZoneEdit folks seem to have fixed this, more or less. Configure as follows:

Clipboard01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.04 KB
 Viewed:  18032 Time(s)

Clipboard01.jpg

gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I received an email from zoneedit.com:

Quote:
Hello,

Your account (loginName) has been migrated and is now live on our new platform at http://www.zoneedit.com. Before you can login on the new platform you will need to use the "forgot password" tool (found in the upper right corner of the UI) to reset your password.

PLEASE NOTE:

1. Login names are not case-sensitive but please note that your login name (above) may have changed to deal with potential login name collisions in the new platform.

2. The correct URL for dynamic DNS updates is:
http://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html
Please ensure you are using the correct URL.

3. Please ensure your dynamic DNS update client updates your IP address in ZoneEdit only when the IP changes or, at most, once per hour. The new platform strictly enforces dynamic DNS update rate throttling to prevent abuse of the system and may refuse your updates if they occur too frequently.

As this is an all new front-end platform please let us know if you find anything broken or buggy, would like to see improvements anywhere or simply have any comments on our new site.

Thanks for using ZoneEdit!

Regards,
The ZoneEdit.com Team

My initial reaction was, that this could be a form of phishing, but because they knew my login \ email address coupled with the numerous DDNS error message in the router, I believe the message to be authentic. However, if I am wrong, please let me know!!

I reset my password (it did not mind using the same previous password).

DDNS router settings were changed to 'custom' as prescribed in the snapshot above. DSL was reset to force a new IP address for testing. The configuration above was not able to update.

The next step was to try change 'auth/dynamic.html?host=' in the URL field to:
Code:
http://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html

again, no update.

Changed the server to dynamic.zoneedit.com and no update. At least dd-wrt recognizes that and update needs to be performed:

Quote:
Sun Jul 3 14:24:28 2011: INADYN: Started 'INADYN Advanced version 1.96-ADV' - dynamic DNS updater.
Sun Jul 3 14:24:29 2011: I:INADYN: IP address for alias 'FQDN' needs update to 'X.X.X.X'
Sun Jul 3 14:41:06 2011: W:INADYN: Error validating DYNDNS svr answer. Check usr,pass,hostname! (HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 18:41:06 GMT
Server: Apache Server
Content-Length: 306
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

I doubled checked that I can login to the website with my username and pw and that they were correctly configured in the router.

Has anyone had recent success with the 'new' zoneedit.com system using the original settings in the previous posting?

UPDATE:
=======

Resolved. Used the following settings:

Dynamic DNS Server = dynamic.zoneedit.com
URL = http://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?zones=yourdomainname.com
hostname = yourdaminname.com

Quote:
Sun Jul 3 15:17:18 2011: INADYN: Started 'INADYN Advanced version 1.96-ADV' - dynamic DNS updater.
Sun Jul 3 15:17:18 2011: I:INADYN: IP address for alias 'mydomain.com' needs update to 'X.X.X.X'
Sun Jul 3 15:17:19 2011: I:INADYN: Alias 'mydomain.com' to IP 'X.X.X.X' updated successfully

Not sure why the previously assigned IP address is returned with ping, dig or nslookup (different machines). Tried flushing dnscache on XP machine, however, made no difference.

Tried to resolve mydomain.com external to the domain by SSH via Blackberry. No joy. Checked zoneedit.com to determine if the correct IP address was updated. Bingo. It has the old IP address. Why would the old IP address be in there when DDNS confirms successful update?

Goerges orwell
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you sure of yours settings ?
Those settings don't work for me on my wrt610n Sad

thx
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
A couple of days ago I changed the DDNS service from
'custom' to 'Zoneedit.com'. Seems to work now.

Goerges orwell
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you sure that works ?
For me in both cases, that doesn't work Crying or Very sad
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 0:09    Post subject: Consider the alternatives Reply with quote
@Goerges : there are other alternative such as dyndns.org. Suggest considering other alternatives \ backups because zoneedit.com has been flaky lately. I use dd-client with dyndns.org as a backup.
triangleman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:10    Post subject: No zoneedit updates Reply with quote
Hello all,
I am using a Netgear WNDR3700 w/ build 17201. I have tried just about everything in these posts and the best I can get is the following:

Tue Sep 13 21:56:06 2011: INADYN: Started 'INADYN Advanced version 1.96-ADV' - dynamic DNS updater.

Tue Sep 13 21:56:06 2011: I:INADYN: IP address for alias '*.XXXXXX.com' needs update to 'XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX'

Any suggestions? Very frustrating...

Many thanks!
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
@triangleman: these are options:

1) try a different DDNS service provider
2) if you have optware, try ddclient
3) try a different build # of DD-WRT

These are in the order that I would experiement with.

triangleman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it seems I have the problem cleared up, for now at least. It was option #3 - I needed a different build of DDWRT. Turns out, build 16785 was the last build to have DDNS working with the WNDR3700. Flashed the router to 16785, and all is well (famous last words).

Thanks for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: