Asus RT-N56U released and available!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
DynamiteN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, i am pretty new to this custom firmwire scene.
so hopefully u guys can clarify this for me.
I am using OpenVPN GUI client on my computer with Windows7 to connect to my openvpn service,so all my traffic gets routed through that vpn tunnel,

but i would like to use it with my router, either by allowing the router too pass through the connection from my computer or making the router the client so that it can allow my computer to connect to the vpn tunnel though it.

is this possible with this firmwire?:
http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/
Sponsor
eugene2878
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone confirm if it is possible to use this router as 5ghz N bridge? I need to get my 3 wired devices hooked up via 5ghz band in my other room.
sevenalive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr_Meaty wrote:

The the mac filter in the wan tab lets you block access to certain mac address during certain time periods, and shows that mac in the block list, but it doesn't actually work. If you manually block and unblock it works, but that feature in the gui does not seem to do anything. Same thing with the guest wireless.

MAC Filtering is pointless. It's not a security feature at all. If you are using WPA2, then you have the best security you can get. MACs are easily hacked and spoofed! Again, it's NOT A SECURITY FEATURE. It doesn't have any PROS, it shouldn't even be a feature on any router, it gives a false sense of security to ignorant people.
mbelsky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
sevenalive wrote:
Mr_Meaty wrote:

The the mac filter in the wan tab lets you block access to certain mac address during certain time periods, and shows that mac in the block list, but it doesn't actually work. If you manually block and unblock it works, but that feature in the gui does not seem to do anything. Same thing with the guest wireless.

MAC Filtering is pointless. It's not a security feature at all. If you are using WPA2, then you have the best security you can get. MACs are easily hacked and spoofed! Again, it's NOT A SECURITY FEATURE. It doesn't have any PROS, it shouldn't even be a feature on any router, it gives a false sense of security to ignorant people.

I agree that anyone could learn how to spoof a MAC address, which makes it so a hacker could get around it, but a layman would not be able to get around MAC address filtering. Plus, if I want to give out my password to a friend or neighbor, but I only want them to be able to connect one device, this is how I would accomplish that. Yes, they could spoof their MAC, but its the minority of people who know how to do that.

Last edited by mbelsky on Wed Oct 03, 2012 17:14; edited 1 time in total
mister704
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:32    Post subject: Asus RT-N56U...Increase TX Power Reply with quote
So I went ahead and finally flashed the latest RT-N56U_3.0.2.4-012 to see what all of the benefits are. I have now been having a issue with the AP not showing up. I have planned to use my router as an AP only.

The main reason I flashed is because I thought it would allow me to increase my Tx power greater than 100. Has anyone been able to do this. I am a little new to the flashing of DD-WRT to routers but not to computers at all. Can anyone in laymen terms give me the benefit of this latest flash over stock. Does it increase speeds, range...or anything. That is all I am needing. I need more range because I have a 3 story townhouse and it is on the 3rd floor.
Mr_Meaty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
mbelsky wrote:
sevenalive wrote:
Mr_Meaty wrote:

I agree that anyone could learn how to spoof a MAC address, which makes it so a hacker could get around it, but a layman would not be able to get around MAC address filtering. Plus, if I want to give out my password to a friend or neighbor, but I only want them to be able to connect one device, this is how I would accomplish that. Yes, they could spoof their MAC, but its the minority of people who know how to do that.

I was referring to the mac filtering table so that I can cut off the internet to my son's PC late in the evening, similar to the "Access Restrictions" in the dd-wrt firmware. And whether it is pointless or not, it does not change the fact that the option is there but it doesn't work.

But to comment, I am also using MAC filtering to only allow those on the list. Yes, MACS can be spoofed, but every little bit helps, and it certainly doesn't hurt...well, except of course in this case where it just plain doesn't work.
mbelsky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr_Meaty wrote:
I was referring to the mac filtering table so that I can cut off the internet to my son's PC late in the evening, similar to the "Access Restrictions" in the dd-wrt firmware.

Sorry, I missed the context of your comment. I was mainly responding to the other poster who said that MAC filtering is pointless.
jhoff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:53    Post subject: ASUS release? Reply with quote
ASUS has released a dd-wrt based firmware which they call version 3.0.0.4.260 - anyone know which dd-wrt version this is based on? Any opinions on using the ASUS version or the latest one from here?
padgan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dear mbelsky

First of all, thank you for spending your time on the custom firmware, I'm currently using it and I think it is great!

I am however, fairly inexperienced with router firmware, and I need to ask for your help with a bit of vlan-magic.

My ISP provides "Internet" without a VLAN, so no VID-tagged frames. However, it sends VOIP on a seperate VLAN, with VID 80. If I wanted to let VID 80 traffic flow to _one_ of the LAN ports (keeping the tag in the process, basically "bridge" VLAN 80 traffic from WAN to LAN4), how would I go about it?

I have tried using vconfig to add an interface for VID 80 traffic on eth2.1 (ie eth2.1.80), and done the same with eth2.2.80, then put those two in a new bridge (br1), but this doesn't work. (Probably did something very stupid?)

Furthermore, would it be possible to have non-tagged traffic on LAN4 to keep flowing to br0, ie getting an IP from the router at the same time as VID 80 traffic is bridged directly from WAN?
mbelsky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
padgan wrote:
Dear mbelsky

First of all, thank you for spending your time on the custom firmware, I'm currently using it and I think it is great!

I am however, fairly inexperienced with router firmware, and I need to ask for your help with a bit of vlan-magic.

I am actually not the creator of the firmware. I don't even use it myself, I have just installed it for a few friends. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do what you are looking for. Hopefully someone else can give u a hand. GL!
elsdon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone know if the dd-wrt has a jenkins or anything where they are developing the port for the n56u?

It seems like all of the other asus routers released within the past 1-2 years are supported. Peculiar that this one isn't, given that the hardware allegedly has already been donated etc.

I'm looking for like a 'status' page to see where we're at and I can get involved. I just need to know where to find more information.
DynamiteN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
DynamiteN wrote:
Hi, i am pretty new to this custom firmwire scene.
so hopefully u guys can clarify this for me.
I am using OpenVPN GUI client on my computer with Windows7 to connect to my openvpn service,so all my traffic gets routed through that vpn tunnel,

but i would like to use it with my router, either by allowing the router too pass through the connection from my computer or making the router the client so that it can allow my computer to connect to the vpn tunnel though it.

is this possible with this firmwire?:
http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

gonna bump this, anyone know if there is a way to work with openVPN with this router??
dagget
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I have a RT-N56U with 3.0.3.5-055 custom firmware. Unfortunately this router doesn't support vpn as a CLIENT. I need that only some ips pass by VPN PPTP while others don't, like dd-wrt does. Anyone know how to make this route able to do this ?

sorry for the english Sad

Thanks
DynamiteN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have now updated to the latest firmwire from asus (3.0.0.4.360), and i'm now able to connect to my OpenVPN service and use it through the router Smile
mbelsky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
DynamiteN wrote:
I have now updated to the latest firmwire from asus (3.0.0.4.360), and i'm now able to connect to my OpenVPN service and use it through the router Smile

So you were able to set it up as the client of the VPN?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 14
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: