DLNA Media Server on E3000 - is it possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 19:04    Post subject: Re: which version Tomato? Reply with quote
gschlact wrote:
BrazilRoute -
which version of the Tomato firmware are you using? 2.4 or 2.6 and which date?

Thanks.
Guy

I'm using the "E3000 Ext" Build 54 - 11/30/2010 (Kernel 2.6 (experimental) for MIPSR2 Routers)
Sponsor
gschlact
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 21:06    Post subject: tomato ? Reply with quote
Brazil Route -

you have saved me a bunch of time...
To load the Tomato bin you referenced above for E3000, do you need to do anything special like the DD-WRT 30/30/30 or load a differnt first version firmware before jumping to the latest version??

Thanks.
Guy
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 0:34    Post subject: Re: Please help me understand Reply with quote
BrazilRoute wrote:
Oh, I know - sorry if it sounded rude or anything like that. It's just that when speaking of technical issues, someone's interpretation could change depending ot the situation. So it was a good opportunity even for myself to check and see if I was using the correct terms.

Answering your question, just having samba enabled doesn't work. If I had to guess, a true "media server" broadcasts all the files to compatible players while samba just let you have access to it - don't quote me on that since I honestly don't know HOW it works. On windows it would be the same difference as enabling file sharing and enabling media sharing. Or you could do it with a 3rd party if you don't want to use the windows media center - a common solution is the TVersity software.

Thanks for your help =)

It was not rude to me, I am just trying to decide if I have what one would call a "media" server. I have a separate linux server with all of my media accessible by any computer on the network.

With the additional information you have provided, there appears to be more than just 'access' to make it a "media" server. I will investigate further, but I could very well turn my file server into a media server. I just have to figure out a way to do it.

Now since I have gotten off topic (just a bit) ... back to your regularly scheduled postings .... Wink

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:04    Post subject: Re: tomato ? Reply with quote
gschlact wrote:
Brazil Route -

you have saved me a bunch of time...
To load the Tomato bin you referenced above for E3000, do you need to do anything special like the DD-WRT 30/30/30 or load a differnt first version firmware before jumping to the latest version??

Thanks.
Guy

I always do the 30/30/30 reset when changing firmwares. Besides that, I just jumped from the stock Linksys firmware to the latest Tomato build.
rhdcheme
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I may be wrong, but just enabling samba on your router won't let you play your media (on a HDD attached to router) on game consoles such as PS3. You need a media server to be able to play them. If there is a way to do this without using Windows Media Player, Tversity or DLNA media server of the router, I would be interested to know.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 15:55    Post subject: streaming from Media Server Reply with quote
Yes, to play on PS3 etc withouth using a PC server, you need a media server on the network. We have been discussing that the Tomato Firmware works for this (unlike the current DD-WRT and native E3000 firmware that should but doesn't).

Media Streaming in a basic description, scans the storage, and 'broadcasts' the music, video and photo files to DLNA / UPNP based media players since they don't have the sophistication needed to natively browse the shared NAS itself.

-Guy
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
gschlact - can you report back after installing Tomato? Just want to keep the thread useful to others. The more information the better!

Cheers and good luck!
gschlact
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:12    Post subject: Media Server Reply with quote
Reporting back.... after finally installing the version as you have.

I was having a lot of trouble getting the Media Server to appear on my network.

It looks like the issue is that you need to ensure that the Media data base gets created and stored onto the hard drive that is write-able like your user part of the drive (mine is: \mnt\SAMSUNG ).
Originally I had told it to create is under \media_db but I think it had trouble and gave up on scannning/storing. Once I moved the location, it created the diretory and started creating the actual db.

I dislike the Tomato User Interface, but I guess it works. I wish it was more like the Linksys in the way it allows you to more easily setup QOS based on MAC addresses without having to manually enter them.
One key thing missing from the USB support is the ability to create multiple login accts with different priviledges.??

-GUy
gschlact
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
PS - for Tomato, the admin user name is ROOT.
is there anyway to change this name?
(It would have been nice if they used the same "admin" user name as DD-WRT and Linksys.
edrikk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 15:46    Post subject: Re: Media Server Reply with quote
gschlact wrote:

I dislike the Tomato User Interface, but I guess it works. I wish it was more like the Linksys in the way it allows you to more easily setup QOS based on MAC addresses without having to manually enter them.
-GUy

I have no idea what that means.

Tomato's QoS is known to be one of the best out there in any firmware.

If you don't want to enter any addresses (global), just go to the "QoS --> Basic Settings" and setup the general rules.

If you do want more fine grain control, go to "QoS --> Classifications" and you can enter settings per PC, OR refine the global settings further.

On the Classifications page, you can "work" based on:
"Any Address"
"Src IP"
"Dest IP"
"Src MAC"

Finally, you should download the latest test build from here:

ftp://toastman.dyndns.org/

Most recent build is build 7444 (it includes NVRAM size auto-detection)

TomatoQoS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.79 KB
 Viewed:  21659 Time(s)

TomatoQoS.jpg

gschlact
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
to answer your question about QOS / MAC.

Yes, we CAN do it, but the GUI on the Linksys s/w makes it much easier as you can click MAC addresses from a list to have them entered and set Category / Priority, rather than having to manually enter them via your UI.

Thanks for the link to latest version. Will updating firmware inherit all the settings i have made, or will I need to then follow the upgrade with a cfg upload?

-Guy
gschlact
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
edrikk,

you provided the link to the latest version:

ftp://toastman.dyndns.org/

I am confused by the version numbering... The ones Brazil Route & I have been using from Tomato is v1.28.9054 yet you appear to be suggesting a version 7444 which is <9054. Also, there are many choices, which one are you suggesting?

WHat am I misunderstanding?

thanks.

-Guy
gschlact
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 18:02    Post subject: clarify latest version of Tomato firmware for E3000 MipsR2 Reply with quote
can anyone clarify the firware version question stated in post above?

Slow USB
I mention my version and seem to have some transfer speed issues to the USB drive that seem to be slower than the network can handle - for example i have wired 100Mb link to router, yet router only writing files to USB drive at 1MB/s (8-10mbps). When directly connected the Drive gave me between 10-30 MB/sec.

Unstable 5Ghz wireless N
I only use our iPad on teh 5Ghz wireless N (only) radio of the E3000 router. It seems unstable and if I watch my iPad, it seems to constantly lose connection and reconnect.

Signal Strength & Power
Any recommendations for Power setting? I am at far end and even teh 2.4Ghz B/G network only giving
me -100dbm. I have tried 200-300-400 Tx power setting but not much difference.

-gschlact
danzg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello! (Sorry, DD-WRT noob here.)

I have a (stock) Linksys E3000, which I'm pretty happy with, EXCEPT:
1. I need a DLNA server, not just uPnP – so I can stream from USB-attached drive to my Logitech Revue (Google TV) and to Plex on laptop
2. Transfer speeds over LAN to a USB-attached drive are abysmal.

Will the Tomato firmware help with these issues?
If so, which of the "E3000 Ext" or "E3000 VPN" builds should i use?
(Not sure what 'busybox' and 'openVPN' will do for me…)

And are there different versions of E3000 that I need to look out for before flashing?

I could not find a howto/tutorial on how to actually flash this ROM … do I just unrar and flash the .bin file as a firmware upgrade from the router GUI? Or do I need to flash the original Tomato first?

Also … would it be safe to download torrents directly to the USB-attached drive over LAN?

Oh — and I don't suppose it's possible to run a torrent client right on the router, is it?

Thanks!
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong has made a customized and optimized version of dd-wrt that works quite well. It comes in different flavors, one including minidlna which is a full featured media server application. I think it supports the E3000 router.
I've used this build for some time now on an Asus RT-N16 and is very happy with performance and functionality
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: