DLNA Media Server on E3000 - is it possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
danzg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
From my research, it sounds like I need either the Kong DD-WRT or the Tomato ... can anyone recommend one over the other, from experience, for the E3000?

Do they both give the same performance as far as LAN speeds over wifi?
Sponsor
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
wabe wrote:
Kong has made a customized and optimized version of dd-wrt that works quite well. It comes in different flavors, one including minidlna which is a full featured media server application. I think it supports the E3000 router.
I've used this build for some time now on an Asus RT-N16 and is very happy with performance and functionality

Thanks for the heads-up. I had pretty much given up on this subject already. Can you just confirm if this is the correct version you are talking about?

http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/19806/DD-WRT-Kong-Mod-USB-FTP-miniDLNA-Samba3/

I'll try this as soon as I get home tonight Very Happy

Thanks!!
FlyHigh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, you have this link too:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/
danzg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
In this article – http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware,_the_Right_Way – it says it will install Twonky. Isn't that a DLNA server?

So then do I need a "special" DLNA-enabled ROM build?
Or can I just install DD-WRT and then do the Optware thing?
zoomlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
(Sigh...)

If you read all the way down the OTRW wiki page, you will see where it states that on K26 routers NONE of the the DLNA servers work. This is tied to an issue on the interface.h file on all K26 builds. (try and enter 'netstat -i' and watch it blow up). This has to do with the netutils that are on the build.

So, KONG went ahead and made miniDLNA work and we know that works for sure. I have not tried to run Twonky on a Kong build, but I suspect that the work-around he created was specific to miniDLNA and that the Twonky dependencies on netutils are still broken.

Just for all to know... try and activate Twonky and see if it works on the Kong Builds.

On a terminal window, type the following two commands:

service twonky on
service twonky start

Let us know what happens.
danzg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
zoomlink wrote:
(Sigh...)
If you read all the way down the OTRW wiki page, you will see where it states that on K26 routers NONE of the the DLNA servers work. This is tied to an issue on the interface.h file on all K26 builds. (try and enter 'netstat -i' and watch it blow up). This has to do with the netutils that are on the build.

Sorry, not sure what that means ... what's a K26 build?

Over on the Tomato USB forum, someone said they installed Tomato + optware and it runs fine...
zoomlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
@danzg

I did not mean to be condescending on my prior post. Please take the time to read the announcements on the forum and PARTICULARLY MAKE SURE YOU READ THE PEACOCK THREAD. These are not there for decoration, they DO really have excellent information for ALL, but specially for the newcomers.

Everyone here was, at some point, a Noob (newcomer) of some sort. The mods have done a great job at providing information, that when read and understood, can get you up to some level of speed on the lingo, etc. that is used at on the forum.

If you are unable to tell what a K26 build is, you should not be messing with your router and loading firmware on it. Not knowing of your router takes a K24 or K26 (references to Linux v2.4 or v2.6 kernels) can brick your router.

Please take a little time and read, read, read so you are well informed before loading a firmware on your router.
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quick question - since I didn't believe I would have a solution for this issue with my router, I bought a
Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Home (STAM2000100). This would allow me to have higher transfer speeds than USB while being more reliable...

Well, it also doesn't work the way it should. Its media server does not show all of the files I select for sharing. Besides that it works great as a NAS.

The question is: can I use the miniDLNA to share these files instead? They are not connected to the router by the USB port, but are available on the NAS drive on a fixed IP.
zoomlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
@BrazilRoute,

If you enable CIF and mount the NAS drive with the fixed IP (I don't know where CIF mounts are mounted these days... way back when, they would be mounted to /tmp/share.

You could conceivably then configure your miniDLNA to read a mounted directory even if it is a CIF mount.

Give it shot, what have you got to loose.
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried mounting cifs as you suggested, but I couldn't make it work.... this is what I get when I try to mount it:

Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# mount.cifs //10.10.1.142/ /tmp/smbshare/ -o username=$(nvram get samba_user),password=$(nvram get samba_password)
mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

From what I can figure out, the default file system used by seagate is NTFS. Would this be the problem? Any ideas how to get past that?

TIA!
zoomlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
@BrazilRoute

Please confirm that you first enabled CIF on the Administration page of the router.

Now, the user and password you need is NOT the one on your router. You need to enter the user and password that your Seagate has been configured with to allow user to access its shares.

Try filling in the information on the Router's web gui for CIF and see how that goes.

I don't think CIF cares if the other machine is using NTFS. In fact it looks like it was built to login to windows machines if you read the fields on the WebGui.
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
@zoomlink

I did a factory reset to undo anything I might have done wrong. After that I enabled CIF on the GUI but it didn't mount either. Any way to troubleshoot this? Should it automount or do I have to send a mount command?

Here are a few facts I think are worth mentioning:

- I can access the drive on my computer using its IP address and username/password. No problem here.

- Seagete uses directories with spaces on the name. Is that a problem? Can I mount the root drive directly?

- Do I have to enable anything else on the router? Samba?

- There is a field for a script on the CIF configuration. Is this mandatory? I didn't put anything there...

As you can see I'm not a pro on any of this, so I apologize for my noobness Smile

Thanks!
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone? anyone? Buller? anyone?
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrazilRoute wrote:
@zoomlink

I did a factory reset to undo anything I might have done wrong. After that I enabled CIF on the GUI but it didn't mount either. Any way to troubleshoot this? Should it automount or do I have to send a mount command?

Here are a few facts I think are worth mentioning:

- I can access the drive on my computer using its IP address and username/password. No problem here.

- Seagete uses directories with spaces on the name. Is that a problem? Can I mount the root drive directly?

- Do I have to enable anything else on the router? Samba?

- There is a field for a script on the CIF configuration. Is this mandatory? I didn't put anything there...

As you can see I'm not a pro on any of this, so I apologize for my noobness Smile

Thanks!

While I have not set up CIF on my router (I have set up an external /opt and /jffs), I do know this much. If you had to manually mounting something to get CIF working, then you will have to do that manual "something" to keep it working at boot time. If there was some automation by DD-WRT going on, then that "automation" should continue to work at boot time.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
This build in myopenrouter download section is not for 60K NVRAM Units, E3000/E4200 Build can be found here.

http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/23842/DD-WRT-Kong-Mod-Info/

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: