ASUS WL-500W, Eko Big Build & Optware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ranjtech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:36    Post subject: ASUS WL-500W, Eko Big Build & Optware Reply with quote
Hello people,

I have installed the Eko BIg Build (as is sthe requirement for Optware when one needs to use USB). However, as per my understanding, the router has 8MB Flash, but after installing the Eko Big build, which is 5.7MB I believe, a df -h on the router shows 100% used capacity? Please see below:

root@myRouterUSA:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 5.6M 5.6M 0 100% /
/dev/discs/disc1/part1 118.2M 5.5M 111.5M 5% /opt
/dev/discs/disc1/part3 118.2M 5.5M 111.5M 5% /opt

The ironic thing is that after connecting the printer and rebooting the box, I lost all my other partitions and somehow /opt is mounted twice but when I go to it, there's nothing there

root@myRouterUSA:/opt# ls -ltr
drwx------ 2 root root 12288 Nov 26 18:29 lost+found

All my optware stuff that's on my USB stick has disappeared even though the USB stick is still connected.

Any ideas or comments? Mostly seeking explanation of why after installing the Eko big build all my space is taken when I should still have about 2.5MB remaining.

Thanks so much
\RR
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why do you believe that the Eko big build is 5.7MB?
Look at the size of the file you have flashed!

A firmware contains more than a root file system, there is a Linux kernel as well..
A flash contains more than a rootfs+kernel, there is a boot loader and there is an nvram partition..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Why do you believe that the Eko big build is 5.7MB?
Look at the size of the file you have flashed!

A firmware contains more than a root file system, there is a Linux kernel as well..
A flash contains more than a rootfs+kernel, there is a boot loader and there is an nvram partition..

Wow, really? please see the output of the df command above. The filesystem tells me that the entire usage is 5.6MB and it's 100% used. Where is the 2.4MB? I'm assuming some of it is swap, where is everything else? Not to mention every single post I've read, it's talked about the different between BrainSlayer's mega build and the Eko Big build which are 7+ MB and 5+ MB respectively due to the mega build containing Asterisk and something else.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry but I can't explain it clearer to you than I did in my post above.
I guess there is no use in explaining for those who don't have the ability to understand. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:44    Post subject: Re: ASUS WL-500W, Eko Big Build & Optware Reply with quote
ranjtech wrote:

The ironic thing is that after connecting the printer and rebooting the box, I lost all my other partitions and somehow /opt is mounted twice but when I go to it, there's nothing there

If you do a 'umount /dev/discs/disc1/part3' you will probably see your /dev/discs/disc1/part1.
Change your mountpoint to /mnt and examine what's in /mnt/etc/init.d. Something is probably doing that 2nd mount there....

ranjtech wrote:
Wow, really?
Don't get cheeky towards someone who is willing to help you in his spare time. You obviously don't know as much about it as you think you do.
Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
It shows 100% usage because the /dev/root partition is also a locked partition.

You can NOT write to it...so it shows its 100% used by the system.

[EDIT] this is from a WHR-G54S with a 4M Flash running nokaid.

Code:

df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 2.8M      2.8M         0 100% /

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 19:52    Post subject: Re: ASUS WL-500W, Eko Big Build & Optware Reply with quote
frater wrote:
ranjtech wrote:

If you do a 'umount /dev/discs/disc1/part3' you will probably see your /dev/discs/disc1/part1.
Change your mountpoint to /mnt and examine what's in /mnt/etc/init.d. Something is probably doing that 2nd mount there....

Hi, Thanks for the response. Ok, so I'm unable to umount it. After trying umount and umount -f, nothing changes and the 2nd /opt is still mounted. This only happens when I connect the printer to the router. If I disconnect it and then reboot the router, I get everything back including Optware installed on the USB stick. Sorry I didn't understand what you meant by if I change my mount point to /mnt. You mean under "Services -> USB" in my router where I tell it where I want to mount the USB stick? Change that to /mnt instead of /opt? Is that what you mean? If yes, then should I do that while the printer is connected or disconnected? Like I said, everything looks normal while the printer is NOT connected. Do you think it may have something to do with the fact that printer itself has a USB drive that seems to get mounted when the printer is connected?

frater wrote:
ranjtech wrote:
Wow, really?

Don't get cheeky towards someone who is willing to help you in his spare time. You obviously don't know as much about it as you think you do.

Haha sorry about that. I'm usually very polite in forums. I didn't mean for it to come out sarcastic. Sorry LOM Smile
ranjtech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
It shows 100% usage because the /dev/root partition is also a locked partition.

You can NOT write to it...so it shows its 100% used by the system.

[EDIT] this is from a WHR-G54S with a 4M Flash running nokaid.

Code:

df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 2.8M      2.8M         0 100% /

redhawk

Ok thanks. So now that I understand that, any ideas as to why I lose my partitions on the USB stick as soon as the printer is connected? Furthermore, Once that happens (i.e. the printer is connected and my partitions are lost) I am unable to run even the most core commands that have nothing to do with the USB stick, e.g. I can't use the command 'service' anymore. Weird!
ranjtech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 0:02    Post subject: Latest Firmware for WL-500W Reply with quote
Also, in addition to the points above, I also saw this document: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_WL-500W which says that

NOTE: The newest K26 kernel incorporated into the firmware starting with the 15315 build no longer supports devices with 4704 processors. This includes the Asus WL-500W with a modified CFE.

Is this true? Reading this, I only installed
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/26/10) mega
(SVN revision 15280M NEWD-2 Eko)

Does that mean I have to be stuck at this build forever as the newest builds don't support the 4704 chip?

Thanks
RR
ranjtech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Sorry but I can't explain it clearer to you than I did in my post above.
I guess there is no use in explaining for those who don't have the ability to understand. Sad

Haha I guess you can't. Sorry, I get it now when I think about it.
ranjtech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, no one wants to say anything more huh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: