No WAN connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
snowman4837
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:40    Post subject: No WAN connection Reply with quote
I've been using ddwrt for like a year and a half now and everything has been working well but this morning everything stopped :-(

I have a WRT54G v6 with v24sp1 and a surfboard 5100 modem. I've tried every combination of resetting, changing, and power cycling that you can think of. I've changed my connections back and forth like upwards of 20 times between my computer and my router because it works when my router is directly plugged into my computer but it doesn't work when it's plugged into the router. I used to be able to just restore default settings on the router and power cycle both and it worked fine but not today...

My modem gives out IPs when it isn't connected to the internet (which I know it is) starting at 192.168.100.11. When I plugged in my modem a few times, I watched the IP right on the GUI page after I plugged in my modem. It leases it the first address that it would if the modem wasn't online. It briefly flashes that the WAN address is 192.168.100.11 for about 10-15 seconds and then it goes back to 0.0.0.0 and stays there. I know that's wrong because that's a local IP and when it's plugged into my computer, the WAN IP is 75.66.x.x. I've been working at this off and on for around 5-6 hours and I'm getting pretty pissed. I'm not sure if the problem is my modem isn't behaving correctly when connected to a router or it's router requesting an incorrect IP from the modem... IDK? You guys have any ideas?

I've tried
- MAC cloning. (cloning my WAN MAC to my modem's MAC)
- Switching between bridged and unbridged
- Turning off DHCP on my router (I can't turn it off on my modem. I don't have the option).
and I few other misc. things.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Sponsor
Pied Piper
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54889
mk378
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
MAC cloning is setting the router (WAN port) MAC the same as your PC. Then the modem thinks that it is connected to the PC instead of a router. That is to bypass the cable company trying to force you to use the modem only with one designated PC.
68Firebird
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try unplugging the modem and the router for about 30 minutes. Then with the modem hooked up to the router, power both the modem and the router on at the same time. That usually works with cable modems.

Once some cable modems get associated with a certain mac, they don't like it when it changes. Powering down for 30 minutes usually will get it to associate to a different mac if something changed on your setup.

Side note: update your firmware to the latest recommended build in the sticky. Your build is old and out of date.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: