E3000 - Wireless Network Cannot See Wired Network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
crux19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:33    Post subject: E3000 - Wireless Network Cannot See Wired Network Reply with quote
Hello,
I have been running dd-wrt on my WRT54G for years and couldn't be happier. I'm passing that device on to the parents and just picked up and installed dd-wrt on a Cisco E3000. Followed the instructions and all works great except for one thing - I can't ping my computer that is wired to the router.

I have two wireless computers (Win XP) both connecting to the Internet perefectly. The wired computer (Win 7) can get out to the Internet and can ping the wireless computers. So, wired can see wireless but wireless cannot see wired.

I know everything on the computers is set up fine since the wired computer has run an FTP, VNC, etc. server for some time now with the WRT54G calling the shots. I must be missing something simple and silly in my E3000 config that is not allowing my wireless computers access to my wired computer.

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/26/10) big

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
You made sure to setup file sharing on the systems in question?

The protocols you listed, FTP, VNC, to my knowing, don't have to have actual shares setup in order to work. They have to be mapped out within the app itself for functionality, whereas if your trying to do it with windows networking you have to have shares setup in order for each computer to see the other's contents.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
crux19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee,
Many thanks for the quick reply. Yes, file sharing is set up appropriately. I had my network up and fully functioning as I wanted it with the WRT54G in place for months. I took out that device and replaced it with the E3000. No other changes to the network or Windows configs. I used FTP and VNC daily both internally and externally without issue.

One thing I did not think to test was to connect my laptop to the wired connection and see if I could access my wired Win 7 box. I just attempted and can not ping it from a wired connection either.

In the DD WRT I went in to Status > LAN and thought it was interesting that under Active Connections all hostnames were listed correctly except for the wired device. Instead of hostname there is simply a *. The IP address (static) for the wired computer is correct.

Not sure if something needs to change on my Win 7 wired machine with the switch from 10/100 to 1 gb router but couldn't think why. The only other thing that might be causing issues is that on my network card on the wired machine I have IPv4 setup with a static address which I use and IPv6 set up as dynamic. This doesn't make much sense to me but it all worked fine with my WRT54G but just wanted to point it out in case I was doing something bone-headed.

This one is really stumping me and I can't seem to think of any other troubleshooting steps to help me narrow down the issue.

Gracias.
Ishmael
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
What subnet are each computer and device set to or on?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
In win7, when the gateway changes (your main router / dhcp server), windows 7 sets up a new network and it defaults to public. This is a secure network thinking you just connected to a hotspot in a coffee shop. Sometimes this happens without you even knowing about it.

The fix is to either delete the origional network which is set to private and change the new public network to private. Or.. my preferred methode is to just merge the networks. Merging them should also take care of the firewall assuming you are using the windows firewall.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many thanks for all of the help. I'm at work so can't test but think barryware's reply is where I'm caught up. I started digging into Win 7 network config last night but was too tired so went to bed. I do recall seeing a Network 2 or something in the network diagram that shows Computer > Router > Internet.

Thanks again to everyone! I haven't played with Win 7 networking too much but I'm sure that's it.
crux19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to send a final verification that Win 7 did setup a new network and defaulted to public. All I had to do was change it from a public network to a home network and all is right in the world. Thanks again for all of your help.

Just did some very informal tests and there is significant speed improvement. Sound about right?

Server is wired and laptop is wireless. WRT54G setup had the laptop using the internal wireless card and with the E3000 setup I'm using a USB N connection (Linksys AE1000).

With the WRT54G

windows sharing transfer (laptop to server and server to laptop)
2.05 MB/sec - 2.29 MB/sec

ftp transfer
902 KB/s (server to laptop)
1.3 MB/s (laptop to server)

E3000 Setup - about 6-8 ft. from the router. Router is behind a thin (.5 inch) door in my entertainment center.
Windows sharing transfer
17-18 MB/sec from laptop to server
~9 MB/sec from sever to laptop

ftp
9.3 MB/sec from server to laptop
12 MB/sec from laptop to server

Thanks again and all seems to be humming along nicely!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: