Replacing flash on my redundant Belkin F5D8236-4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
err888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:10    Post subject: Replacing flash on my redundant Belkin F5D8236-4 Reply with quote
Hi

I am looking into the feasibility of putting DD-WRT to my F5D8236-4 router which has been redundant after I found it's not compatible with my ISP.

I've read from the forum and learn that Ralink devices requires at least 4M flash to be able to run DD-WRT, so I'm thinking of removing the on-board 2M flash and solder a 8M flash in place to make it DD-WRT compatible.

I'm yet to confirm if the wiring supports the bigger flash but before looking into that, I want to confirm if it is possible to write a completely empty flash from the hardware itself like using jtag/serial, if there is one on board?

Thanks
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:17    Post subject: Re: Replacing flash on my redundant Belkin F5D8236-4 Reply with quote
err888 wrote:
I want to confirm if it is possible to write a completely empty flash from the hardware itself like using jtag/serial, if there is one on board?

It isn't possible to do that, you'll have to program the flash externally before soldering it into the router.
Be also aware that the v1 and v2 version of the router has 16MB ram while the v3 only has 8MB so the v3 can't run dd-wrt even if you up the flash size.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 16:19    Post subject: Re: Replacing flash on my redundant Belkin F5D8236-4 Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

It isn't possible to do that, you'll have to program the flash externally before soldering it into the router.
Be also aware that the v1 and v2 version of the router has 16MB ram while the v3 only has 8MB so the v3 can't run dd-wrt even if you up the flash size.

Regrettably I don't have any flash programmers on hand so I'm thinking a cheaper alternative.

Do you think if it is possible to do some wiring work by "cascading" another 2M flash on top of the existing flash, with adding some discrete logics on the OE#, WE# and A20 lines between the board and the flash chips?

My router is a v2 and should have enough ram for DD-WRT to run.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: