Performance Question: WRT54G v1 vs WRT54GS v5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jorwex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20    Post subject: Performance Question: WRT54G v1 vs WRT54GS v5 Reply with quote
Hello all,

I have an E3000 running 14929 that I am absolutely in love with, but am finding that I need one more port than I have available.

Luckily, the extra one I need is for two 10/100 devices and not GigE, so I thought I'd dust off one of my old routers and link the 2nd router as a switch (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers).

My options are a WRT54G v1 with a 125MHz clock (with the mini-PCI inside) and a WRT54GS v5 with 200 MHz. Both have 16MB RAM; the WRT54G has 4MB of flash vs 2MB. I like the 20 LEDs on the front of the old model, and I've actually added a SPDT power switch and widened the reset button hole (for a finger vs a pen) to aid in 30-30-30 resets.

The only advantage spec-wise to the WRT54GS v5 is the faster clock, and honestly, I won't be doing anything crazy, so the 2MB flash will be plenty. I haven't used either in a LONG time, so both need to be updated to 14929. If I'm concerned with performance ONLY, is the 200MHz clock going to make a difference?
For that matter, I also have two old BEFSR41 v2s, (although those can't run DD-WRT to my knowledge...where's the fun in that??)--will those offer the same performance (neverminding the stability issues with the Linksys firmware).

Thanks for reading!!
Sponsor
Ernest
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:24    Post subject: Re: Performance Question: WRT54G v1 vs WRT54GS v5 Reply with quote
jorwex wrote:
If I'm concerned with performance ONLY, is the 200MHz clock going to make a difference?

Yes.
jorwex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could you elaborate a bit on how the slower performance will manifest?

The users on this switch will be a Boxee Box media streamer (with 10/100) and someone who does light web browsing.

Thanks for the quick reply
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: