DD-WRT + Netflix on iPod Touch = Broken! Help!

rebelx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:57    Post subject: DD-WRT + Netflix on iPod Touch = Broken! Help! Reply with quote
I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std-nokaid on a Netgear wndr3300.

I am trying to run the Netflix app on my iPod Touch (4th Gen) but for some reason it does not work.

I know this is a network issue because the Netflix app works on every other network I have tried it on.

Oddly enough, the Netflix application/site also works for instant streaming on every other device in the house (PS3, laptops, deskptops).

Essentially, when I turn on the Netflix app in the iPod, it goes to the red screen where it is about to play and then exits out to the movie selection screen. I have not been able to watch a movie on my home connection.

I have the router in dual band mode (broadcasting one channel in G and the other in N) and I cannot get the Netflix app to play a movie in either band (I am able to successfully connect to both networks, however).

Please help!
Sponsor
Nullvariable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
After a bunch of Googling I found the answer. For some reason Apple devices (iPod touch, iPad, apple tv etc) don't work with dnsmasq enabled. You can disable that or manually set an ip address and dns server (for example I used google's dns on my iPod, 8.8.8.Cool. Once I did that it started working like a charm.
rebelx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nullvariable wrote:
After a bunch of Googling I found the answer. For some reason Apple devices (iPod touch, iPad, apple tv etc) don't work with dnsmasq enabled. You can disable that or manually set an ip address and dns server (for example I used google's dns on my iPod, 8.8.8.Cool. Once I did that it started working like a charm.

I love you!!! It works!! I tried the 8.8.8.8 fix and that was sufficient (I didn't mess around with anything else). Is it just me or would browsing speed suffer as well if I used that instead of the default 192.168.1.1 (since that's what it feels like)? Also do you have a preference on whether I should keep what I did or disable dnsmasq?

Looks like it does slow down speeds if I use Google DNShttp://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/12/20/apple_tv_itunes_downloads_slowed_by_google_dns.html. What does dnsmasq do and do I really need it?
fallout330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
rebelx wrote:
Nullvariable wrote:

I love you!!! It works!! I tried the 8.8.8.8 fix and that was sufficient (I didn't mess around with anything else). Is it just me or would browsing speed suffer as well if I used that instead of the default 192.168.1.1 (since that's what it feels like)? Also do you have a preference on whether I should keep what I did or disable dnsmasq?

Looks like it does slow down speeds if I use Google DNShttp://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/12/20/apple_tv_itunes_downloads_slowed_by_google_dns.html. What does dnsmasq do and do I really need it?

Thanks for that info Nullvarialbe! I was stumped as well. Directing the Ipod Touch 4g to use Google's DNS Server 8.8.8.8 did allow Netflix to stream finally.

@rebelx-I haven't noticed any slowdown or noticeable difference on the Ipod Touch 4g since using Google's DNS server, how bout you?

It seems as if DNSMasq would be beneficial if you are administering a small Local Area Network, where DNSmasq would provide a DNS, DHCP And TFTP server for all your local clients within the LAN. If your just using and Ipod Touch, disabling it would probably not effect over wireless network performance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: