Repeater can ping internet, but wired clients can't

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mfoetsch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 15:31    Post subject: Repeater can ping internet, but wired clients can't Reply with quote
Hi, I'm running "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini - build 14929" on a WRT54GL that I want to configure in "Repeater" mode. (The AP that I want to connect to does not run DD-WRT.)

As a first try, I set up wireless "Client bridged" mode successfully: Wired clients can connect to the repeater, to the AP, and to the Internet.

Now my goal is to switch to wireless "Repeater" mode following these instructions: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater

The repeater connects to the AP successfully. When I connect a wired (not wireless) client to the repeater, the client gets an IP in the repeater's subnet. From the repeater's web GUI, I can successfully ping the AP or google.com.

The problem is, I cannot ping either the AP or goolge.com from the wired client.

So, the way I understand it, the repeater can talk to both subnets but won't connect them.

Details:

- My AP has IP 192.168.0.6 in subnet 255.255.255.248 (which my ISP provides).

- On the repeater: local IP is 192.168.1.1 in subnet 255.255.255.0. For gateway and DNS, I tried many combinations of 0.0.0.0, the AP's settings, and the ISP's settings.

- The repeater itself gets IP 192.168.0.5 from the AP's DHCP, which is shown in the upper right corner of the web GUI.

- When I connect a wired client to the repeater, it gets IP 192.168.1.100, as expected. From there, I can ping 192.168.1.1 (the repeater's local IP) and 192.168.0.5 (the repeater's dynamic IP), but not the AP at 192.168.0.6 or the Internet.

- From the repeater's web GUI, I can ping anyone.

Looks like I'm very close to a solution. Any help is greatly appreciated. If I missed some info, please let me know.

Thanks,
Regards,
M.F.
Sponsor
mfoetsch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Problem solved.

I had to go to "Setup"->"Advanced Routing"->"Operating Mode" and change it from "Router" to "Gateway" (NAT).

Not sure why I had changed it to Router in the first place. Probably at some point I confused the "Repeater Bridge" instructions with the "Repeater" instructions. Too many open tabs in the browser... Embarassed

Regards,
M.F.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: