TP-LINK TL-WR740N 741ND 841N and client bridge problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
freonchill
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
i had to go back to 14896 to get a working AP/client bridge configured between whr-g300n & whr-hp-g300n, similar to your NetDesired.jpg image

i had tried a 15xxx and a 16xxx builds before i went back to 14896 that worked. i only get about 1-3 days uptime because of too many neighbors...

i have the client bridge watchdog the AP (WDS/Connection Watchdog) set for 30 minutes...

1x WRT54G2 v1
2x BUFFALO WHR-G54S
2x BUFFALO WHR-G300N v2
1x BUFFLOW WHR-HP-G300N
1x La Fonera
FON Client Bridge tutorial
Sponsor
EricTheHalfBee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okeydoke then. Off I go to the "previous version" store... I will go backwards from Current until at least what you found worked, and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip!
I'll report back, but this may take awhile.
-e
tpw740v21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got my tl-wr740N V2.1 to work as client bridge with repeater capable using gargoyles.

first, flash your wr740 with ddwrt latest version. Then revert your router back to WR741 stock firmware. Get the image from this thread http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85237. Download gargoyles image for wr741 and you got client bridge
franz47
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 20:15    Post subject: TP-Link TL-WR740N V2 frustration solution partially Reply with quote
After spending many hours trying to configure my TP-Link TL-WR740N V2 as a repeater, searching a lot on the dd-wrt forum and elsewhere, reading that other users have the same problem and feeling very frustrated I have arrived at a solution with which I can live, although the result is not a real repeater solution. Maybe other  frustrated users are interested in the story.
At first how I did not succeed:
The first instructions I tried to follow were at
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
I installed the Build 15778 from
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
for the TP-Link WR740N V2 and then tried to follow the instructions at
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
There is a chapter there on routers using the Atheros chipset. Trying to follow these instructions I could get a configuration which made a connection between laptop WLAN and the ath0.1 interface but I never could get a connection to the internet.
I then read the posting of penko_bg at
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85130&highlight=
who briefly explained
>„first i connect like client with dhcp setings,then i make my router with different ip,and start dhcp >server,and final i add second network with different name(you can try to add second network with >same name, like client name network)“

and got the impression that all the time I had tried something which ist not possible

Then I found instructions at
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wlan_Repeater
From this:
>DO NOT USE THE RECOMMENDED BUILDS ON THE DD-WRT HOMEPAGE, those >are outdated and buggy.
and
>There is no "Repeater" mode on Atheros units, but you still can use it as repeater, just set the >original interface as "client" and get it to connect to your AP, then create a virtual interface to >broadcast the new SSID.

This explained why trying to configure a client-bridge was not successful.

So I installed the build 16994 from
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/05-08-11-r16994/tplink_tl-wr740nv2/
and then followed the instructions cited above, which worked well.

Important from the instructions
>Also note that the device should be in GATEWAY MODE instead of ROUTER mode, otherwise >Masquerade/NAT does not happen.

So I ended up as follows:

On device A: Thomson ADSL-Gateway
WLAN-Access Point -1 ( DHCP server on) in subnet 10.0.0.X., SSID A

On device B: TP-Link TL-WR740N V2

Ath0 WLAN interface configured as CLIENT with same SSID Aconnected to WLAN-Access Point -1 receiving network configuration by DHCP server there, is also in subnet 10.0.0.X.

Ath0.1 WLAN-interface configured as AP with new SSID B. Subnet 192.168.1.X and DHCP-server on.

Means the WR740N works as a router connections wirelessly on the WAN-side:
WAN connection: WLAN-ath0
LAN-connection: WLAN ath.01 and the 4 or 5 LAN connectors.

I first tried out without any security, worked out. The same way it worked with WPA2 etc on both subnets.

The only drawback ist that the subnets are different and so at the moment I cannot access my network printer in subnet 10.0.0.X from PCs in subnet 192.168.1.X. But the main aim, to get a wireless internet connection to the end of my garden, is fulfilled. If one tries to get access on the two subnets it might be useful to define them as 10.0.0.X and 10.0.1.X and subnet masks permitting access between the subnets.

BTW I contacted TP-Link about differences between WR740N and WR740ND. They answered that there really is no difference except the detachable antenna. Why are there different firmwares for the two models?

I am still curious, whether anybody has succeeded to get a configuration with the secondary net having the same subnet and SSID? I have stored my configs to be able to get back to a working solution and will try to get a solution with the same subnet again, maybe it is still possible?

Regards
Franz47
franz47
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
The TG585 V7 Firmware 8.2.6.5 does not support WDS on its webinterface but I read that it supports WDS via CLI. At the moment I am not ready to dive into the CLI manual and try it out. Do I remember correctly that WDS supports only WEP and not WPA?
Regards
Franz47
EricTheHalfBee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 18:35    Post subject: TPLINK WR740 - Client Bridge - SUCCESS Reply with quote
tpw740v21 wrote:
I got my tl-wr740N V2.1 to work as client bridge with repeater capable using gargoyles.

first, flash your wr740 with ddwrt latest version. Then revert your router back to WR741 stock firmware. Get the image from this thread http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85237. Download gargoyles image for wr741 and you got client bridge

Took some effort, but this works when NOTHING else would. (THANK YOU for that post!)
Remember to turn on COOKIES for your router address for Gargoyle. Weird, but necessary.
-e
gcnd0001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got it working!

My AP is a Netgear WGR614v9 (no DD-WRT available Sad ) set up with WPA-PSK2 TKIP+AES with DHCP and UPnP.

Did the steps mentioned above, but I could not for the life of me figure out what I was doing wrong!

Turns out the radio was off, which I knew bu couldn't figure out how to turn it on. To turn it on, go to the basic setting page, and the first selection drop-down menu, either change it to DHCP and APPLY Settings, or manually configure the IP settings.

I now have a massive range boost!
mtl628
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
tpw740v21 wrote:

Could you breif me how to install Gargoyles firmware into the WR740N? I really couldn't make it! Sad

Thanks!
JasonC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 23:18    Post subject: POSSIBLE SOLUTION Reply with quote
Hey all,

I just spent an entire day struggling with client bridge problems on an WZR-HP-G300NH. I was eventually able to get everything running stably and with good performance by going all the way back to build 14289.

I have not tried 14896 yet. I will try it soon and let you know if it works for me too.

Check out the discussion here.

If you're attempting to use your router as a bridge, I recommend trying 14289. Don't forget to do a factory reset before and after changing the firmware.

You can find that build for your router at ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/04-16-10-r14289/.

At some point in the 14xxx series (at least by 14929), client bridge mode seems to have been broken for Atheros chips, and has never been fixed since.
JonathanHV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 15:28    Post subject: Re: TP-Link TL-WR740N V2 frustration solution partially Reply with quote
Hello friend, I have the same problem. I installed that will build you stated, but which procedure should I set it. I have tried several ways without being able to get it. I appreciate your help me please.
PeteQ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 22:00    Post subject: Yes, it works! Reply with quote
It takes few hour to discover working client bridge configuration, but at the end wr-741 works fine.
Main points are:

1. Every interface (ath/ath0.1/br0=eth0+eth1) must be on subnet of it's own (obviously default WLAN interface ath0 which links to uplink AP locates existing subnet).

2. Default route to uplink AP must be defined manually, no default route should be defined on "Basic setup" page. Also on uplink AP route to ath0.1 subnet must be defined manually.

3. DHCP-server (if needed) should started "manually" as a startup-command (I used DNSMasq as a DHCP-server http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html)

Of course basic rules as same security model & keys for every WLAN-interface applies.

Performance issues are possible though - the "CPU Load Average" stays at 100% even when there is no trafic at all...
Wirelessmonkey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 15:11    Post subject: got it working using gargoyle Reply with quote
@moll47u Thank you for your tip with gargoyle!

For me it is now working using gargoyle instead of DD-WRT on the client.
Device: TP-Link WR 741 ND

Howto:
1. Switch to factory firmware
2. Install gargoyle (version with factory)
3. Configure client bridge, took me less than 5min and worked out of the box (done via Webinterface!).

Hope this helps someone.
PS: On my AP runs still WRT.
favad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 20:12    Post subject: WDS/Client Bridge failed with Gargoyle Reply with quote
@Wirelessmonkey

I'm trying to configure my 741ND using gargoyle (version with factory), but I failed to get it work either in Client Bridge or WDS Mode Sad

It can search the AP SSID, and doesn't display any errors but it doesn't work and I'm not able to ping gargoyle router's ip from my network.

The only difference is my AP Router is running factory default firmware.

Any help will be appreciated please.
konnichiwa2222
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
My TP-link WR740n V2.5 can not work client with WEP( sercurity mode). I can scan out the main router but can not connect it. Howerver still work well with WAP as client.
Please help me
darking90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you all! I need only repeater mode (so the repeater will give ip addresses in place of the repeated ap). Thanks again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: