Another DIR-615 problem thread - rev E1 with Build 15778

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
maxrsp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 0:26    Post subject: Another DIR-615 problem thread - rev E1 with Build 15778 Reply with quote
Guys,

After more than 4 days of working with my newly aquired D-Link DIR-615 and scouring these forums and associated wiki pages, I am extremely frustrated and in dire need of assitance before my 615 suffers an unfortunate "accident"...

I (as many MANY people before me) am trying to accomplish the seemingly simple task of bridging my network between two routers.

My primary AP is a Linksys E3000 which is working perfectly with the factory firmware. As this device is currently configured to serve both Windows and Mac desktops, as well as acting as an uPnP media server, I do not wish to flash it to DD-WRT.

So, I break out the new 615 and flash it with the appropriate DD-WRT firmware. All is fine so far.

I take my first trip to the wiki (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers) and find just what I'm after: Repeater Bridge. Oops, it seems that capability has been abandoned in my version of v24.

No problem I say to myself, I'll just use a Client Bridge. Unfortunately after following those instructions (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged) three times with hard resets in-between I start to become suspicious...

Not to fear, the forums are filled with network experts and gurus, surely the answer lies here. Four days later I am cursing all the unfinished, unanswered, and outright contradictory threads; there's 96 hours of my life I'm never getting back.

All joking aside, there's obviously a ton of good info here, but with the almost countless combinations of routers, firmware revisions, etc, the answer to my problem continues to elude me.

So my plea to the DD-WRT community is a simple one: if anyone has successfully bridged a DIR-615(E1) please let me know how. Alternatively, if this cannot be done, please just admit it and tell me so I can move on.

I can't imagine why such a simple function has been so convoluted within DD-WRT, and I don't know enough to develop any salient conspiracy theories involving the apparent push towards WDS, so I will just assume my troubles are a result of my noob ignorance.

I lay the fate of my router in your hands...
Sponsor
mrhide
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Max,

I'm right there with you.

Bought a TV with an ethernet port and instead of buying the 80$ usb key samsung wanted to enable wireless, I googled the thing and boum, found the DD-wrt link and presto, the cheap 39$ DIR-615 is supported so I bought 2 and upgraded my network from G to N.

Flashed both to dd-wrt and the AP works great. The Client Bridge connects to the AP (I can see it) but 1- dhcp never makes it to anything I connect to the CB and if I put a static IP, I can connect to the router (the CB) but never can I make it to the other router or internet...

cursed all day trying a bunch of stuff and now I'm seriously considering flashing them back to factory and see if that will work better.

Happy new year!
Phil
marin_count
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 20:43    Post subject: Try using the WAN port - Reply with quote
Posted earlier on http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=520635

Reposting here - it may help you.

I have found strange behavior using Atheros based router as a Client (Frys FR-300RTR - it is like DLINK DIR-615 e1 )with multiple releases.

In Client and Client Bridge mode, all the four ethernet ports (switches) stop working (even though the blinking of lights and ipconfig indicate that a DHCP IP was assigned to my PC, and the relevant port light is lit).

However, if I move my ethernet cable to the WAN port on the router, I am able to communicate with internet as well as the router (using default 192.168.1.1 for the bridge router in the Client mode, and using 192.168.0.2 in Client Bridge mode - I am keeping AP at 192.168.0.1).

I have been unable to use my 300rtr (Fry's DIR-615 e1) in Client mode - as a wireless bridge, unless I only use the WAN port as the switch. I have used the following builds - 14815, 14896, 14929, 15962

I am using a Broadcom based router (ASUS RT-N12) as AP.

I have no problems with the reverse setup (using DIR-615 e1 as AP and ASUS RTN-12 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mini - build 14896 as client).
marin_count
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also - ASUS RT-N12 - my other router, seems to work great as Client or Repeater Bridge.

I got that cheap from Fry's last week ($39.99 Minus $20 Mail in rebate)
jl449
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a DIR-615 as well but a C1. I'm also having issues setting up client bridge with the latest build (15962) and decided to give up on it. The build 15962 seem to work at first. The AP router auto asigned an IP to the pc connected to the CB. also on the AP router it shows the pc connected to the cb in the DHCP client list. I was able to view and connect from the pc connected to the CB to all the pcs that were connected (WAN and LAN)on the AP router. Also connect to the internet!! It worked like a champ! well for about 2 minutes. After that the speed dropped way down and internet connection timed out. I was able to access the AP router through the pc that was connected to the CB but it took for ever to load the page.
Disable all secerity - went thru the steps as outlined, 30/30/30 resets to no avail. tried all different channels.. no luck. the PC connected to the CB will connect a basic webpage but crawling speeds. If I try to connect to yahoo news -- it times out. I can reset the CB and connect for about 2 minutes at a blazing speed. I wish it could maintain it!!

I finally had to revert back to build 14896. This build works without dropping to a slow speed. it's not as fast as the intial speed (first 2 minutes) of build 15962 but it's stable. The issue with this build is it doesn't auto assign an IP address for the pc connected to the CB. Static IP address with gateway and DNS gets me connected to the internet with no issues but I can't view or access any of the other PCs that are connected to the AP router. This is a problem since I want to access a share drive on the AP router from a PS3 that will be connected to the CB (HD streaming).

Like Max said...
Quote:
So my plea to the DD-WRT community is a simple one: if anyone has successfully bridged a DIR-615(E1) please let me know how. Alternatively, if this cannot be done, please just admit it and tell me so I can move on.
Has anybody got the 615 to work as a client bridge without work arounds?

By the way my AP router is a Belkin N1 F5D8231-4 v2 with stock firmware.
ve7aq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, thank goodness! I thought I was just incompetent.

I'm also wrestling with a DIR-615 E1 and DD-WRT V24 sp2 Build 15778. I have not tried using the WAN port, but this does suggest an idea.

I wonder if anyone has tried enabling "Assign WAN Port to Switch" in Setup/Basic Setup? Perhaps this will tie the LAN ports in and make them available. (Thinking in reverse here)

Meanwhile, if anyone gets this working with build 15778 on the DIR-615 E1, can you please let us know.
Sharing your configuration backup minus the password could save us all some headaches.

If all else fails, who has a working procedure to fall back to factory firmware on the DIR-615 E1?
marin_count
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know if anybody has succeeded.

I am still trying to make it work (since last week)

DD-WRT with a DIR-615 in client/Client Bridge mode is very iffy. I have got it working couple of times - but it does not stick (meaning, one reboot, and the behavior changes, and it stops working).

However, I have been able to use DIR-615 as AP, with ASUS RT-N12 as client works very well.

I am going thru various build to see if any of them work.
marin_count
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:11    Post subject: DIR-615 E1 in Client or Client Bridge mode just doesn't work Reply with quote
I am giving up on getting this configuration to work.

I am using the DIR-615 as access point, and a Broadcom based ASUS RT-N12 as wireless bridge Client - and that combination works flawlessly.
maxrsp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks marin, I will try using the WAN port to see if it is stable enough in the interim until we figure out the solution to this.
maxthelen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:51    Post subject: Me too.. Reply with quote
DIR-615 E1 running build 15778
Do everything in the wiki (worked fine with a wrt54g, but wanted N speed bridge) doesn't work.

Connects just fine to my AP router (wrt350n, running dd-wrt, build 14896) BUT, I get terrible tx speeds, (1mbps) "internet light" on the DIR-615 shows green (connected) - I can see in the status/wireless that I am connected to the AP (MAC matches), but no tx speed at all . . .

What gives?
maxthelen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:07    Post subject: Found a Fix Reply with quote
Hello my desperate compatriots.

I have found a fix that worked for me. By reverting to an old build (14896) the client bridge has started working excellently.

It is not one of the options for the DIR-615 E1 in the router database, but it is an option for the E3 in the router database (interestingly enough, the filename says E1).

You can get it here: http://dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/D-Link/DIR-615/E3/dir615e1-firmware.bin/3782

Hope that helps!
The Mentalist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did this successfully with 2 E1 routers.

I didn't read your whole post but is this what you're trying to accomplish?

Excuse my poor paint skills.
The Mentalist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using the most current build FWIW.
maxrsp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Maxthelen,

I just checked back into the forum after a couple weeks away and saw your reply - this is great news!

Since its been a few days since your post I wanted to check if everything has remained stable with your E1 on build 14986.

If so I will try this myself ASAP and report back. Please advise. Thanks.
maxrsp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mentalist,

This is at least the second thread you have replied to (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=81664&highlight=dir615 is another) indicating you have done this successfully with 615 rev E1.

Unfortunately I have not seen the detailed instructions you followed to make this happen. It seems you referred to the wiki but I doubt you followed those instructions exactly because dozens of us have tried this without success.

Could you please post the specific steps / instructions you have used to make this work? Thanks!
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: