WNDR3700 build issue? OpenVPN disconnecting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
whozurdaddyo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 16:11    Post subject: OpenVPN client Reply with quote
europa48138 wrote:
Good luck running OpenVPN on the WNDR3700. It connects briefly, but then locks up, and does this consistently.

I'm trying to run openvpncl and I'm seeing this behavior on a WNDR3700 v2. I'm able to connect successfully then after a few minutes the connection dies, however OpenVPN is still running. The only way to get it working again is to killall openvpn then re-run it.

Here's the startup script I'm using:
Code:

sleep 30
echo "myusername
mypassword" > /tmp/openvpncl/user.conf
sleep 10
echo "client
dev tun
proto udp
remote myopenvpnprovider.com 1194
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
persist-remote-ip
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
CERT GOES HERE
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>
tls-remote myopenvpnprovider.com
auth-user-pass /tmp/openvpncl/user.conf
comp-lzo
verb 3" > /tmp/openvpncl/openvpn.conf

echo "iptables -D POSTROUTING -t nat -o tun0 -j MASQUERADE
/usr/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -t filter -i tun0 -j ACCEPT" > /tmp/openvpncl/route-down.sh

echo "iptables -I POSTROUTING -t nat -o tun0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -I INPUT -t filter -i tun0 -j ACCEPT" > /tmp/openvpncl/route-up.sh

( killall openvpn ; openvpn --config /tmp/openvpncl/openvpn.conf --auth-user-pass /tmp/openvpncl/user.conf --route-up /tmp/openvpncl/route-up.sh --down /tmp/openvpncl/route-down.sh --daemon ) &

Any ideas?
Sponsor
whozurdaddyo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone?
amakryss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im just about ready to give up on this little critter of a router. How come E3000, WRT610N, WRT160N, WRT320N and E2000, (27 of them to be exact) don't give ANY issues at all whatsoever with the openvpn settings I have (they all connect to the same openvpn server on a colocated server),

And this wndr3700, both v1 and v2, with any build I throw at it, promptly disconnects the moment I send any real upload packets through it (upload meaning traffic going out from ddwrt to the internet).

I tried any and all MSSFIX, TUN-MTU and FRAGMENT settings known to man, even going as far as lowering fragment to 1000 when tun-mtu is 1500, on both server and client, enabling complzo, disabling it, mtu-disc, fast-io,

my conclusion is it's either impossible or sheet simple (pun intended) and I'm just missing it. I doubt that I am.

But it is so very frustrating, to say the least.
CW
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Having a similar issue here. I've a WNDR3700 as the OpenVPN server and the connection is totally unstable.

Setup:
------
OpenVPN server = WNDR3700 running build 16214

OpenVPN client = Have tried both my laptop with OpenVPN Win32 V2.1.4 and DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/09/11) vpn-small - build 16758M NEWD Eko on a WGR614L.

I'm using bridge mode.

Syndrome:
---------
I've a Windows Home Server as my test target attached to the LAN side of the WNDR3700 and I never managed to download more than the first 200KB or so off a 1MB test file.

Traceroute (or tracert on windows) from the client side shows traffic is intermittently routed through the internet interface rather than the VPN. Ping intermittently times out or "destination unreachable".

I've played around with the fragmentation and mssfix settings but neither of them gave me any improvement.
amakryss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm pretty much done troubleshooting this POS. it's a darn shame, too. 680MHZ is difficult to pass up. It's by far the fastest router for OpenVPN I have (I have 25 more, all Linksys).

E3000 has a 7MBPS throughput,

while WNDR3700 has a 12 MBPS throughput.

WRT320n has a 5.5/6 MBPS throughput.

Sucks the big one, to be honest.

I'll just have to build my own Mini-ITX custom boxes for high-end customers and run dd-wrt x86 until this router is fixed, and/or others come out that are better.

Anyone know of another router that has a 680Mhz or more powerful processor?
miyagi2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same issue here, a WNDR3700 V2 running the latest version of DD-WRT.

But I believe the problem is not only located in the OpenVPN part. When I create an SSH connection from the outside to the router the behaviour is completely similar. From the moment larger block of data has to be transferred through an SSH tunnel, the connection locks up.

I have tried a lot of different settings but nothing seems to work
amakryss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would be great if someone with access to builds could have a look at this. this is a HUGE issue with wndr3700.
wired57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wonder if you were to use openwrt, if it would have any effect on how openvpn runs. I know it's more complex but it might be perfect for your needs.
amakryss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Indeed. Ive dabbled in it, installed several builds and it seems to work well, only thing is the iptables and routing seems to be infinitely more complex than dd-wrt, so, still a project in the making.

The issue however is that I have 32 (now) routers using dd-wrt, all of them linksys, and I wouldnt want to throw my support staff a curveball.

Its gotten to the point where Id be willing to pay NewMedia-NET to fix it.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
you got mail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so>

Many thanks to Brainslayers kind assistance, here is the status report:

1. OpenVPN seems is NOT the cuplrit, nor it seems, is mssfix, tun-mtu or fragment.

Quite by chance, I needed to separate my DSL modem and the router, so I decided to use ath1 as a Client to the DSL modem, and ath0 as the home gateway at 2.4 ghz. I chose 5ghz since there would be minimal if any interference. (Don't see any other APs at 5ghz at the moment in my immediate area).

I connected as usual, minus the LAN cable connecting to the Internet yellow LAN port on the back of wndr3700.

Eureka. It does not disconnect at all. I uploaded many megabytes just to be sure, and for a good half an hour. No problem. I was not able to recreate the issue when connected to WAN via Wireless.

I proceeded to use the same config I have on my linksys routers (no tun-mtu, fragment or mssfix settings, nor comp-lzo, using BF-CBC encryption). No problem at all!

I can safely say it's 90% a certainty that the culprit is the switch chip, (again, thanks Brainslayer). I will continue to analyze and report back.

If any other users are following this, could you please check on your setup and see if this is the same for you?
amakryss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, something that would really help is, if you're running linux on a client computer (the build I am using for DD-WRT does not have tcpdump installed), would be for you to, once connected via LAN, so you can recreate the disconnection issue, to run:

sudo tcpdump -i $dev -vvv > dump.txt

Replace $dev with whatever your interface is called that is getting the traffic directly from wndr3700v2.

In my case for example, its

sudo tcpdump -i eth1 -vvv > dump.txt

(sudo is only necessary if you are not using root rights. on some systems replace sudo with su)

In my experience, lockups ONLY occur when trying to upload, so, go to speedtest dot net or try to upload a file to a webserver or sftp you might have like Dropbox for example. Caveat: It NEEDS to be in the outside network (internet), otherwise it won't disconnect.

Once it locks up, Ctrl+C the dump, and attach dump.txt to this thread.

Remember, you need to be connected to the internet gateway (DSL Modem, etc) via LAN to the yellow LAN port to recreate the problem. If you connect wirelessly, you will have no issues.
miyagi2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the update, I'll try to get a dump from the traffic as soon as I can.

Does anybody know why the switch chip causes these problems and if there will be a software fix to get around this?
amakryss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know the devs are actively working on this issue, so it should be soon to get a fix (I have no idea however as to the timeframe).

For now, I am getting Perfectly acceptable results via Wireless.

Ath1 is connected to the DSL Router at 5ghz, 130Mbps
(As a Client)

Ath0 is the AP at 2.4GHZ (N), and serves my home.

So, as far as I'm concerned, this is no longer a paperweight. Will be great when the chipset it fixed.

Cheers!
floposter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well i have the same problem. And unfortunately i can't use the router the way you do. I Hope the OpenVPN Bug will be fixed. I want to hook up two Netgear 3700 Routers via openvpn.

Im am runinng: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/13/11) std
(SVN revision 16785)

Is there already a new Version which fixes this problem?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: