wndr3700v2 - Wont accept DD-WRT file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
carillon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree with Uncensored... My signal quality for both radios (G-Only & N-Only) fluctuates too. In looking at a graph of the signal using inSSIDer 2.0, it shows consistent 5dB to 10dB spikes in either direction from the baseline of the signal. This is happening with all electronics that could possibly be generating interference turned off. I never saw this with the stock firmware. I'm currently running BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/03-17-11-r16454.

I would love for someone to post the settings they use if they get solid signal and good performance with this dd-wrt so I could compare it to mine.
Sponsor
Uncensored
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Switching the 2.4Ghz to Turbo reduced most fluctuations to 5dB - 10dB on the same. Most being 4 out of 5 three (3) second intervals. At least once a minute the signal will drop up to 40dbm and recover at least 80% of the same in less than three 3 seconds. I'm using Wifi analyzer on my Evo to chart spikes and signal strength. I have my 2.4Ghz radio set to N+G while my 5Ghz is set to N-only.

I have two (2) desktops in the same room one has a dual band nic while the other has only a 2.4Ghz nic. Both desktops sit on the floor within 2' of each other. The desktop with the Dual Band nic gets a stronger (5 bar) signal from 2.4Ghz band than it does from the 5Ghz band which fluctuates between 2-3 bars. Both desktops get 5 bars on the 2.4Ghz band generally remain above -60dbm, are one (1) room removed from the router and approximately 20-25' away thru the separating wall.

carillon wrote:
I agree with Uncensored... My signal quality for both radios (G-Only & N-Only) fluctuates too. In looking at a graph of the signal using inSSIDer 2.0, it shows consistent 5dB to 10dB spikes in either direction from the baseline of the signal. This is happening with all electronics that could possibly be generating interference turned off. I never saw this with the stock firmware. I'm currently running BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/03-17-11-r16454.

I would love for someone to post the settings they use if they get solid signal and good performance with this dd-wrt so I could compare it to mine.

Last edited by Uncensored on Fri Apr 01, 2011 17:06; edited 1 time in total
carillon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Uncensored wrote:
Switching the 2.4Ghz to Turbo reduced the flucuations to 5dB to 10dB. I'm using Wifi analyzer on my Evo to chart spikes and signal strength.

How about your 5Ghz signal, have you found any fixes for it?
Uncensored
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. Which revsion of the firmware are you running? I have 16230 on mine.
carillon wrote:
Uncensored wrote:
Switching the 2.4Ghz to Turbo reduced the flucuations to 5dB to 10dB. I'm using Wifi analyzer on my Evo to chart spikes and signal strength.

How about your 5Ghz signal, have you found any fixes for it?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
some hints how to measure signal strength. signal strength should only be measured with bandwidth load. depending in the current wireless tx rate of the router, the output power is different. as higher the rate, as lower the output power is. this is a property of the modulation concept of ofdm. so for standard 802.11g, the maximum power is only available up to 27 mbit. at 802.11n its a little bit different, since also the antenna usage counts here. the total power of 2 combined antennas is also 2 db lower as if you use just a single antenna. many things to consider. so best is always. do transfer traffic while you measure the real signal strength. otherwise its no wonder if the signal isnt stable

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
some hints how to measure signal strength. signal strength should only be measured with bandwidth load. depending in the current wireless tx rate of the router, the output power is different. as higher the rate, as lower the output power is. this is a property of the modulation concept of ofdm. so for standard 802.11g, the maximum power is only available up to 27 mbit. at 802.11n its a little bit different, since also the antenna usage counts here. the total power of 2 combined antennas is also 2 db lower as if you use just a single antenna. many things to consider. so best is always. do transfer traffic while you measure the real signal strength. otherwise its no wonder if the signal isnt stable

Very good information to know... thanks for the reply.

Regarding Tx rate, I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/19/11) std - build 16230 and was curious about a good Tx setting for both radios, do you have an opinion on that? I'm also trying to dial in what would be the best Channel Width and Wireless Modes considering I have a mixture of G and N capable wireless devices. Should I dedicate a radio to each or run NG mix on 2.4 and N on 5.0?
Uncensored
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay I sucessfully upgraded to V24-preSP2_03-17-11-r16454. The webflash did not work for me. However flashing stock v1.0.0.8 worked fine using Win7 64bit. In fact I did this four (4) times without incident. Twice with original DD-WRT build and twice with the stock firmware.

Unfortunately after flashing the signal strength went to hell. Touching the router with my wifi anyalzer became the only way to get a -43dbm signal. Three (3) feet away I could get no more than -65dbm. Reverting to stock did not help either. Whereas previously I was able to consistently get -40dbm to -45dbm in the same spot. Off to exchange this puppy.
Uncensored
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I setup my replacement router. I never tested the previous two for latency. However I'm seeing crazy latency on my WAN:

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=420ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=970ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 970ms, Average = 347ms

Anyone seeing this from wireless clients? With or without DD-WRT installed? I havent put dd-wrt on this one yet. Stock 1.0.0.8 is giving me between -40dbm and -50dbm approx 3' away and approximately 25' away thru a separating wall
-55 to -65dbm on 2.4Ghz
-70dbm on 5Ghz

However when I enabled IPv6 on the router the aforementioned 5Ghz signal improved to a steady -55dbm. I would love to know why? After disabling IPv6 the 5Ghz signal remains improved. Unfortunately this may be the cause of the latency? Perhaps disabling the IPv6 had no effect? I also noticed the router can be administered wirelessly without enabling remote management.

I'm going to see if Netgear support can help me resolve the latency issue before I put dd-wrt on this one.
miyagi2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:27    Post subject: OpenVPN and SSH issue Reply with quote
Hi,

I don't know if this is the right topic but I have some issues with this build, my router is a WNDR3700 V2.
When I make an openVPN connection, I can connect without any problems and can ping all machines in my network and see the samba shares. But as soon as I try to do anything like loading a website that is hosted on an internal machine or copy a file, the entire connection freezes and I can no longer ping any machine.
I see the same behavior when I connect over SSH (from the outside) to my router. Everything works perfectly until I try to pass a lot of data (like a cat of /tmp/var/log/messages, or open something through an SSH tunnel). As soon as a bigger heap of data is transferred, the entire connection hangs and the only solution is disconnecting and reconnecting.

I also have a port forwarded to an SSH server on the inside of my network and when I connect to that machine, none of the above problems occurs

In summary:
When I connect directly to the router from the outside and try to pass a bigger part of data, the connection freezes.

I have already tried changing the MTU size from "auto" to 1500, 1492 and even 1200 but the problem always remains.
Since the problem occurs both in SSH and in openVPN I don't think playing with the openVPN packet size option will provide a good solution.

Does anybody knows what might be happening here and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
QuickSilver
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got the DD-WRT working on my WNDR3700V2
But now i don't get a WAN connection

I got cable (from UPC, netherlands) it always given me a IP adress but now i got DD-WRT running i get nothing.
Now i got the cable in my PC and all works fine but with the router i don't have a WAN connection.

Please Help
RoosterD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
QuickSilver wrote:
I got the DD-WRT working on my WNDR3700V2
But now i don't get a WAN connection

I got cable (from UPC, netherlands) it always given me a IP adress but now i got DD-WRT running i get nothing.
Now i got the cable in my PC and all works fine but with the router i don't have a WAN connection.

Please Help

Could be your ISP only allows a specific MAC address from your house. Call them, or use MAC address clone. I changed my DNS to google's DNS 8 8 8 8 and found that it took 10 times longer to get a WAN IP address from my ISP, so I switched it back.
RoosterD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 20:57    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect to remote desktop on port 3389 Reply with quote
bbspills wrote:
Port Forward for 3389 for remote desktop is not working. I am however able to setup port forwarding for Wake on lan.

I've loaded both the World and NA firmware and tried from 1.0.0.6 and from 1.0.0.8 with no luck.

I was able to do remote desktop just fine from stock but cannot do wake on lan from stock so now I'm screwed either way.

Any help would be great.

I've been running 16230 on my v2 for a month or so now and RDP works fine for me. I'm also port forwarding 5900 to a Ubuntu VM, and VPN too. I'm guessing it's another firewall or A/V program causing you problems. I don't have any radio issues either thank god.

Thanks again DDWRT, I've been using your firmware since I got my WRT54G like 5 years ago Smile
Uncensored
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:45    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect to remote desktop on port 3389 Reply with quote
My ISP reset my modem which reduced/resolved (<2ms) the wireless latency on the 2.4 Ghz band. However the 5Ghz band is still showing crazy 1300ms latency to the router. I'm pretty certain it has something to do with my enabling IPv6. Unfortunately disabling it did not resolve the issue. What are the last four (4) characters of your routers TA#?

RoosterD wrote:

I've been running 16230 on my v2 for a month or so now and RDP works fine for me. I'm also port forwarding 5900 to a Ubuntu VM, and VPN too. I'm guessing it's another firewall or A/V program causing you problems. I don't have any radio issues either thank god.

Thanks again DDWRT, I've been using your firmware since I got my WRT54G like 5 years ago Smile
sreknob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:15    Post subject: Re: OpenVPN and SSH issue Reply with quote
miyagi2 wrote:
Hi,

I don't know if this is the right topic but I have some issues with this build, my router is a WNDR3700 V2.
When I make an openVPN connection, I can connect without any problems and can ping all machines in my network and see the samba shares. But as soon as I try to do anything like loading a website that is hosted on an internal machine or copy a file, the entire connection freezes and I can no longer ping any machine.
I see the same behavior when I connect over SSH (from the outside) to my router. Everything works perfectly until I try to pass a lot of data (like a cat of /tmp/var/log/messages, or open something through an SSH tunnel). As soon as a bigger heap of data is transferred, the entire connection hangs and the only solution is disconnecting and reconnecting.

I also have a port forwarded to an SSH server on the inside of my network and when I connect to that machine, none of the above problems occurs

In summary:
When I connect directly to the router from the outside and try to pass a bigger part of data, the connection freezes.

I have already tried changing the MTU size from "auto" to 1500, 1492 and even 1200 but the problem always remains.
Since the problem occurs both in SSH and in openVPN I don't think playing with the openVPN packet size option will provide a good solution.

Does anybody knows what might be happening here and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Same problem here running OpenVPN server on 16454. Works to initially create an RemoteDesktop or RemoteApp session but then freezes after that... Any solution?
xdowner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi
I have a big problem with dd-wrt firmware.

i have the following setup:

dd-wrt v24-sp2 (05/08/11) connected to a cable modem.
on it's lan there are several computers which i can access via lan/wlan, but not via lan using the dyndns hostname/external IP of the router, e. g.:

host/port 192.168.0.98:8000 (tcp) is accessible via lan/wlan (quite normal)
but even if port 8000 (tcp) is forwarded to the corresponding host. i can't access it from the internal network by using the external ip address
Filter WAN NAT Redirection is disabled! see screenshot

OTOH i can access it from the wan device, e. g. using my gsm phone.
THX for help!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 9 of 10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: