IPv6 over Client Bridge seems blocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Krellan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:44    Post subject: IPv6 over Client Bridge seems blocked Reply with quote
I'm running DD-WRT 14929 BrainSlayer build.

Having a problem: IPv6 doesn't seem to be passed correctly over Client Bridge.

I'd use WDS but have had nothing but problems with it, even after multiple reconfigurations, and trying all the usual things. Client Bridge is rock solid stable and it's fast, so I'll probably keep using that.

Has anybody had success passing IPv6 packets over Client Bridge successfully?

I'm guessing that because Client Bridge mode overwrites the MAC address, it has to use the IPv4 IP address to replace the MAC address on the other side so that the packets can be passed correctly back and forth over the bridge. The software just hasn't been written to do the same thing for IPv6 IP addresses. Is this a correct guess?

Are there other versions of DD-WRT that support IPv6 over Client Bridge?

I can be pretty sure it's not a problem with my network supporting IPv6, because if I connect a device to the other side of the bridge, IPv6 from there to the Internet works great. It's only a single side of the bridge that has trouble seeing anything else beyond it when it's using IPv6. IPv4 works great in both directions, everything can ping everything else successfully, so it's not a problem with the bridge itself.
Sponsor
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
you are right, ipv6 over mac adress translation cannot work.
Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
Krellan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
oxygenx wrote:
you are right, ipv6 over mac adress translation cannot work.

Rats, that's a disappointment. Is it a feature that is on the roadmap to be added in the future? Any alternate firmwares/versions that would already have this feature?
kidsafe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Krellan wrote:

Rats, that's a disappointment. Is it a feature that is on the roadmap to be added in the future? Any alternate firmwares/versions that would already have this feature?

I'd love to know if this is on any sort of timetable as well. My ISP is trialing ipv6 in my area, and I'd much rather stick to using a client-bridge mode rather than WDS.
Krellan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
kidsafe wrote:

I'd love to know if this is on any sort of timetable as well. My ISP is trialing ipv6 in my area, and I'd much rather stick to using a client-bridge mode rather than WDS.

It's been nearly a year and I haven't heard a peep. Big disappointment for me, as this is the reason I stopped using DD-WRT originally.

I'm now using a repeater with off-the-shelf firmware, and can't recommend it because it has big problems maintaining the connection. Netgear WN2000RPT. Piece of garbage, don't buy it. However, its one saving grace is that it preserves IPv6 through the bridge! If this weak little box can do it, then surely DD-WRT can!

Is DD-WRT still under development? No new builds since mid-2010, it seems....
ApatheticSympathy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I feel like I'm doing something bad dragging this thread from the grave, but I'm using an R7000 with DD-WRT as my wireless bridge, to connect to my R8000 (factory firmware), and want to know how to set ipv6 up correctly on the bridge side. My other devices are having no issues with IPv6 other than those behind the bridge.
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
For what its worth, you might have a better chance getting ipv6 over client bridge to work on stock firmwares that have supported ipv6 longer than dd-wrt has.

DD-wrt just got functional ipv6 only a few months ago over the summer so there is a lot that needs attention for different kinds of networks and features of DD-wrt with ipv6.

As people said above, the client bridge function needs a way to communicate via ipv6. You'd have to figure out the radvd/dhcpv6 custom configuration to create a script which isnt very tedious in its current state.
ApatheticSympathy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback.

I'll probably stick with DD-WRT for my R7000. The stock firmware doesn't allow it to work as an extender(only as a wireless bridge), or use the wan port as a part of the vlan. Both things I need from this AP. I'll just have to hope it gets addressed by people that know what they're doing eventually.

I wonder if the ex7000 would work for me with stock though.
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
With all the work being done on IPv6 with DD-WRT over the past year I figured it might be worth resurfacing this thread. Anyone have any thoughts?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try build 29621. There where som ipv6 changes around 29495-29519.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279467&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Try build 29621. There where som ipv6 changes around 29495-29519.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279467&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm already running r29607 on one of my Client Bridges and KONG's R29620 on the other. Neither gets a "proper" IPv6 address assigned to br0 (or anywhere else).
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
One thing that seems like an issue is that dhcp6c doesn't appear to be running. I tried running it manually and regardless of what interface I try it on I get: "client6_init: failed to get a DUID"
jeremfg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm currently running r52869 (06/02/23) and IPv6 still doesn't make it through in - now called - Station Bridge mode.

Do you guys know of a way to block IPv6 from the upstream firewall from reaching any nodes behind the wireless bridge? I'd rather disable IPv6 only for those clients instead of my entire network. How can I identify/tag the traffic that will go through the dd-wrt bridge?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: