Linksys E4200 Router released (test build available)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
x-cimo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
So now that we know what's inside, anyone know if some of it is already supported by DDWRT (drivers available etc)

Does it look like a major rework or small changes to get DDWRT running on the beast?
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
x-cimo wrote:
smallnetbuilder review is up and the e4200 kick ass:

Meh, it seems pretty disappointing to me. They used an Intel 5300 client which is 3x3 MIMO capable but the throughput was generally similar to the 2x2 MIMO routers. I think that even the stock firmware is maxing the CPU before getting close to what the radio can handle.

The one astounding thing is that the E4200 stock firmware somehow gets triple the routing throughput using the same BCM4718 CPU @480MHz and BCM53115 switch as many other models have. It will be interesting to see what they did to be able to achieve this.

x-cimo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
x-cimo wrote:

Meh, it seems pretty disappointing to me. They used an Intel 5300 client which is 3x3 MIMO capable but the throughput was generally similar to the 2x2 MIMO routers. I think that even the stock firmware is maxing the CPU before getting close to what the radio can handle.

The one astounding thing is that the E4200 stock firmware somehow gets triple the routing throughput using the same BCM4718 CPU @480MHz and BCM53115 switch as many other models have. It will be interesting to see what they did to be able to achieve this.

I understand your point, but it does a lot better then the E3000 in many case, so maybe we could be disapointed about 3x3, but in 2x2 (which is what is supported by my Intel 6200), it is still a very nice improvement.

So between E3000 and E4200, this is a no brainer, unless you get the 3000 really cheap.
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did anyone else notice on page one of the smallnetbuilder.com article they contradicted themselves on the specifications saying it has 16mb flash and then at the bottom saying it has only 8mb. Not a huge deal but I was wondering which is true. Shocked

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mordak wrote:
Did anyone else notice on page one of the smallnetbuilder.com article they contradicted themselves on the specifications saying it has 16mb flash and then at the bottom saying it has only 8mb. Not a huge deal but I was wondering which is true. Shocked

The bottom of the first page is the E3000 board pic and specs for comparison.

Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Mordak wrote:

The bottom of the first page is the E3000 board pic and specs for comparison.
Ahhhh I see that now thank you. I guess I'm getting old. Wink

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
FrancoisC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
To anybody who got one, can you tell me if there are holes on the bottom for wall mounting? And if so, what the distance is between the 2? I'm wondering if I can just use is as a drop-in replacement for my current one whitout changing anything. Of couse I can drill new holes in the wall, but it'd be great not to have to.
CNUFijiBluSi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
FrancoisC wrote:
To anybody who got one, can you tell me if there are holes on the bottom for wall mounting? And if so, what the distance is between the 2? I'm wondering if I can just use is as a drop-in replacement for my current one whitout changing anything. Of couse I can drill new holes in the wall, but it'd be great not to have to.

I just bought the E4200 yesterday and it does not have mount holes on the back. Sad Now I will have to come up with some other way to wall mount it. If I think about it when I get home, I'll take a picture of the back and post it because there are NO pictures of the back on the net. I just don't understand why they would omit screw holes on a router that looks like it's begging to be hung on a wall. Shocked
x-cimo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I might be wrong, but, I think it mounting it on a wall would reduce the horizontal range, possibly reflecting everything toward the "top side" direction.

I will have to test that when I get it.
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
x-cimo wrote:

If the CPU is the same as the 610v2 the only advantage would be the 3x3 MIMO but if the performance is limited to 2x2 MIMO, the E4200 is no different then a 610v2/e3000 imo. Hopefully in the future new radio drivers will take advantage of the 3x3 MIMO.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r52330 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
Bird333
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
mac913 wrote:

If the CPU is the same as the 610v2 the only advantage would be the 3x3 MIMO but if the performance is limited to 2x2 MIMO, the E4200 is no different then a 610v2/e3000 imo. Hopefully in the future new radio drivers will take advantage of the 3x3 MIMO.

If I understood the article correctly, it won't be possible through software.
Picchioni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got one sitting at my front door. After I do a writeup for it, I'm game for using it as a test subject for dd-wrt support.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bird333 wrote:
mac913 wrote:

If you're basing this on that tidbit about there only being two amplifiers for the 2.4GHz radio, that only prevents the 2.4GHz radio from being able to transmit more than 2 streams which Cisco never claimed it to be able to, they say it's 2x3. It's the 5GHz radio that is 3x3 MIMO but the 5GHz throughput is still similar to 2x2 MIMO models.

x-cimo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Picchioni wrote:
I've got one sitting at my front door. After I do a writeup for it, I'm game for using it as a test subject for dd-wrt support.

I haven't hear that anyone had started the developpment so far Sad
yousaf465
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Bird333 wrote:
mac913 wrote:

If you're basing this on that tidbit about there only being two amplifiers for the 2.4GHz radio, that only prevents the 2.4GHz radio from being able to transmit more than 2 streams which Cisco never claimed it to be able to, they say it's 2x3. It's the 5GHz radio that is 3x3 MIMO but the 5GHz throughput is still similar to 2x2 MIMO models.

So what is the advantage of spending $179 instead of $150 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 47
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: