Linksys E4200 Router released (test build available)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
neo2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe I missed it, but did smallnetbuilder Intel 5300 client actually used 3 antennas? Because that would be required for using 3 streams, and many notebooks come with 2 antennas only.

By the way, officially, the notation 3x3 only means that 3 antennas are used for transmitting and 3 for receiving. It does not mean that 3 streams are supported. So you want to look for explicit "3 streams" statement. Or sometimes this extended notation is used to specify support for 3 streams: 3x3:3.
Sponsor
Picchioni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
yousaf465 wrote:
phuzi0n wrote:
Bird333 wrote:
mac913 wrote:

If the CPU is the same as the 610v2 the only advantage would be the 3x3 MIMO but if the performance is limited to 2x2 MIMO, the E4200 is no different then a 610v2/e3000 imo. Hopefully in the future new radio drivers will take advantage of the 3x3 MIMO.

If I understood the article correctly, it won't be possible through software.

If you're basing this on that tidbit about there only being two amplifiers for the 2.4GHz radio, that only prevents the 2.4GHz radio from being able to transmit more than 2 streams which Cisco never claimed it to be able to, they say it's 2x3. It's the 5GHz radio that is 3x3 MIMO but the 5GHz throughput is still similar to 2x2 MIMO models.

So what is the advantage of spending $179 instead of $150 ?

Near as I can tell, so far the only difference (hardware wise) besides the extremely sexed up enclosure is the 3x3 antenna configuration. By sexy, I definitely mean sexy. All LEDs have been moved to the back of the router with the only one visible from the front being the pulsing cisco logo in white.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also if you compare the E3000 and the E4200 on smallnetbuilder, the E4200 is much faster in most of the 2.4Ghz test.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
neo2 wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but did smallnetbuilder Intel 5300 client actually used 3 antennas? Because that would be required for using 3 streams, and many notebooks come with 2 antennas only.

By the way, officially, the notation 3x3 only means that 3 antennas are used for transmitting and 3 for receiving. It does not mean that 3 streams are supported. So you want to look for explicit "3 streams" statement. Or sometimes this extended notation is used to specify support for 3 streams: 3x3:3.

True, I can't find any explicit indication that they were able to get a 3 stream connection.

edit: There's a followup that indicates it was only 2 streams but also strongly indicates that the CPU is a limiting factor on wireless throughput even with the stock firmware.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31402-cisco-linksys-e4200-maximum-performance-wireless-n-router-review-followup

neo2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
neo2 wrote:

True, I can't find any explicit indication that they were able to get a 3 stream connection.

edit: There's a followup that indicates it was only 2 streams but also strongly indicates that the CPU is a limiting factor on wireless throughput even with the stock firmware.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31402-cisco-linksys-e4200-maximum-performance-wireless-n-router-review-followup

So he didn't test 3 stream because he used 2 stream client. I would like to see 3 stream tested. The CPU limit he observed was in simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio use, it could still perform well when only 5GHz 3 stream radio is used.
Picchioni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just plugged in my new E4200. I can't do a disassemble of it just yet, but if anyone would like pictures that I can take of it while assembled, let me know.

Does anyone happen to know if the latest gen i5 macbook pros have a 3x3 antenna setup? It's macbook pro 6,2 but system profile and google have been less than helpful in figuring that out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd like to see a picture of its underside if possible! I now know that there are no screwholder, but i'm just curious to see what it looks like.
Picchioni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here ya go. Sorry about the quality, it's from my iPhone 4. Can't seem to figure out which box my Nikon is in...just moved into a new place, and still unpacking.

There is a way to post them as thumbnails?

[edit:phuzi0n] See the forum guidelines on pic sizes. Use an image site if you want thumbnails + full size.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
He, lots of ventilation holes ;)

Is this thing running hot?

Anyway, I think it will be easy enough to do wall mounting with some small modifications.

Thanks for the pics!

I'll get myself one as soon as its available in canada.
Picchioni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes the entire bottom is loaded with ventilation holes with a mesh feeling.

The bottom does feel a bit on the toasty side especially in the center right above the cisco logo. The top of the router is hard rubber, with the white cisco pulsing during startup and solid during normal operation. I would probably suggest some sort of fan mod before overclocking.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone know if DDWRT is working on supporting the device?
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
x-cimo wrote:
Anyone know if DDWRT is working on supporting the device?
The development will need an actual unit in hand to know for sure. But initially it looks like it should be possible. Very Happy

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:

The one astounding thing is that the E4200 stock firmware somehow gets triple the routing throughput using the same BCM4718 CPU @480MHz and BCM53115 switch as many other models have. It will be interesting to see what they did to be able to achieve this.

They use a fast packet handler, Broadcom Cut-Thru Forwarding (BCMCTF).

Google Cut-Through Forwarding for more info.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
phuzi0n wrote:

The one astounding thing is that the E4200 stock firmware somehow gets triple the routing throughput using the same BCM4718 CPU @480MHz and BCM53115 switch as many other models have. It will be interesting to see what they did to be able to achieve this.

I thought the benefit of using cut-through is reduced latency, not higher throughputs. Besides, if all the competing models use the same chips, why does the Linksys stand out?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
phuzi0n wrote:

Last time I checked cut-through forwarding is a switching method, the BCM53115 switch is only a layer 2 switch, and the review showed almost 700mbps of WAN<->LAN (layer 3) throughput.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45, 46, 47  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 47
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: