Linksys E4200 Router released (test build available)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
SHoTTa35
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
ironmanco wrote:
SHoTTa35 wrote:
ironmanco wrote:
Pretty close to getting things done. Couple of questions:

1) Is there a part of this thread that talks about multiple WLAN similar to: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs but for the E4200? I ask because of the multiple radio interface configuration.

2) I would not be asking the above if there was a better way to search WITHIN a thread. This thread is getting pretty unruly. Is this typical or is there a better way to organize.

3) I'm running big build 16785. Is there a way to determine what the current best most stable load is?

Thanks for all the help from the forum.

1 - DD-WRT feature - so each radio can have i think 3-4 seperate SSIDs.

2- I agree Very Happy

3 - Test, test and more test. That's the only way to see what works for your own setup.

As or ironmanco - DynDNS has been broken for a while now. Fractal tried fixing it in 17266 but I guess that didn't work either.

Yea - it would be good to get DynDNS working - I use that a bit.

With regards to #1. There are two physical interfaces 2.4ghz and 2.4/5ghz. My question is what is the optimal way to run the wireless network. I can't find any info out there that specifies configuration when there are multiple simultaneous radios like the E4200.

Once again, what works for 1 person might not work for your situation because of your layout of your property and location and devices you need connection.

If you have 5Ghz clients then connect them to that for a better connection. You can either use:

Same SSID / Same pass
Same SSID / Diff pass
Diff SSID / Same pass
Diff SSID / Diff pass

It wont matter for "performance" anyway you do it. It's all just a matter of what you have and what is connecting to the network and all that. Your 5Ghz clients will connect to 5Ghz once you give them the credentials, if they are the same then it will just roam between them if say the 5Ghz is too weak, it'll jump over to 2.4Ghz. If you save both SSIDs and Passwords (if they are different) it will do the same. So it's all just a matter of preference, this is why you don't see any guides to configure this stuff. It really doesn't matter one way or another.
Sponsor
ironmanco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
SHoTTa35 wrote:
ironmanco wrote:
SHoTTa35 wrote:
ironmanco wrote:
Pretty close to getting things done. Couple of questions:

1) Is there a part of this thread that talks about multiple WLAN similar to: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs but for the E4200? I ask because of the multiple radio interface configuration.

2) I would not be asking the above if there was a better way to search WITHIN a thread. This thread is getting pretty unruly. Is this typical or is there a better way to organize.

3) I'm running big build 16785. Is there a way to determine what the current best most stable load is?

Thanks for all the help from the forum.

1 - DD-WRT feature - so each radio can have i think 3-4 seperate SSIDs.

2- I agree Very Happy

3 - Test, test and more test. That's the only way to see what works for your own setup.

As or ironmanco - DynDNS has been broken for a while now. Fractal tried fixing it in 17266 but I guess that didn't work either.

Yea - it would be good to get DynDNS working - I use that a bit.

With regards to #1. There are two physical interfaces 2.4ghz and 2.4/5ghz. My question is what is the optimal way to run the wireless network. I can't find any info out there that specifies configuration when there are multiple simultaneous radios like the E4200.

Once again, what works for 1 person might not work for your situation because of your layout of your property and location and devices you need connection.

If you have 5Ghz clients then connect them to that for a better connection. You can either use:

Same SSID / Same pass
Same SSID / Diff pass
Diff SSID / Same pass
Diff SSID / Diff pass

It wont matter for "performance" anyway you do it. It's all just a matter of what you have and what is connecting to the network and all that. Your 5Ghz clients will connect to 5Ghz once you give them the credentials, if they are the same then it will just roam between them if say the 5Ghz is too weak, it'll jump over to 2.4Ghz. If you save both SSIDs and Passwords (if they are different) it will do the same. So it's all just a matter of preference, this is why you don't see any guides to configure this stuff. It really doesn't matter one way or another.

I'm sure there's some parts that matter. Channel configuration. When you create the bridge to isolate a guest network (one on each radio). I was just hoping that there would be a guide to walk through a typical configuration for a multiple radio device like the E4200.
SHoTTa35
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Channel config doesn't matter. If the wiki says use channel 161(5Ghz) but there's someone else using 161 because he read the same wiki do you then use that one or use another?

Also for the advanced stuff? Well setting frameburst, or changing the receive window or beacon interval and all the options there can add some benefit but it also depend on what you have. Some clients don't work well with some settings. So to broadly recommend X would do you now good.

If you look at the builds threads you'll see, some people have it where it works great and some people have other crazy issues. There is no one build that works best for anything. You just test stuff and use what works for you.
Xenotropic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmichae3 wrote:

in order to kick the ff bug, would you be willing to catch ff 5.0 in the act of the "connection was reset" using wireshark? I have the bug report waiting for the .pcap log, I just need someone to email me the .pcap log (jmichae3 att yahoo dott com), preferably zipped because my yahoo mail has a limit of 25MB. I suppose it's already too late now. just hoping. maybe I will have to do it myself. I get a little jittery around working with firmware.

don't have the cash to buy a 2nd one.

does anyone know how to take the firmware back to stock from big or mega?

you could just flash the stock cisco firmware.
Liverpoolarn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can people verify that dyndns isn't working for any of the current firmwares available for e4200?
whoisnader
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Liverpoolarn wrote:
Can people verify that dyndns isn't working for any of the current firmwares available for e4200?

Just check the ticket (2061). It hasn't been closed yet.
JonasTh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:19    Post subject: USB - UMTS - HUB Reply with quote
Hi, i'm not shure if this is the right place to ask, don't wanna interrupt ur discussions.

Do u think there will be a support for UMTS USB Modems anytime soon?

And is it possible to add multiple USB Storages via an USB-HUB with dd-wrt?

Thanks!
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, USB modems are a go, and yes to the usb storage.

You can use a USB hub , and run a USB flash stick , A usb connected ext HDD enclosure, usb audio, usb bluetooth, usb connected modems all at once if you wanted.

Latest and greatest builds Wink
songjialin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
build 17266, DDNS(DynDNS.org) is not work.
pakoris
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please, can anyone help my why my wireless clients drop off randomly from 17201. I've posted a screen capture on my previous post.

Am I doing something wrong with the settings or is it a bug?.
khael
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
pakoris wrote:
Please, can anyone help my why my wireless clients drop off randomly from 17201. I've posted a screen capture on my previous post.

i don't know if is a bug, but i have same problem Wink
bye
songjialin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
khael wrote:
pakoris wrote:

i don't know if is a bug, but i have same problem Wink
bye

For build 17266, my wireless connection always AUTO drop off after I flash it. But, after about 1 hour, the wireless connection is very stable and never AUTO drop off in recent 24 hours. Smile
basmaf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:07    Post subject: Re: i hate to be the guy to ask this Reply with quote
dsoundmn wrote:
can we pin a build finder to the top of this post to make it easy to find the mini build - i still am having a heck of a time finding it. (and please let me know too when you add it Smile )

edit:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/06-14-11-r17201/broadcom_K26/ - that's the link i found... but to keep page 1 updated might make it faster to find Smile

Updated WIKI with Links to 16773 mini build for initial flash
Didn't add 17201 to WIKI DDNS is broken in that build.
DAVIZINHO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,
Can somebody say the exact version and configuration for wifi 5ghz with max speed and stability??

thanks a lot
SHoTTa35
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
This also depends on the client you have as well. You could say turn off WMM but in that case Intel cards wont work with it but Broadcom cards will.

So there's no broad perfect setup for anyone. It's a simple matter of reading what the functions do and then test them out. It's just a off/on kinda thing. If On works better then leave it on.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 44 of 47
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: