Need help adding wireless Links54G router to 2Wire router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mx6bfast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 0:29    Post subject: Need help adding wireless Links54G router to 2Wire router Reply with quote
To start off I have gone thru countless threads and posts on here and have not been able to get my dd-wrt WRT54G wireless router to connect to my network with internet. I previously used my dd-wrt router as a wireless bridge/ap whatever the official term is with my old ISP and another regular non dd-wrt Linksys 54G router. I had everything running perfectly and recently changed to Uverse and got one of their 2Wire routers. Since then I have not been able to get everything set back up how I previously had it. That's why I am asking for your help. Since I couldn't remember the root pw I changed it to and the router locked me out I did a 30-30-30 so I am at step 1. All I want to do is have 3 units hard wired into the dd-wrt, with one being able to connect to a pc hard wired into the 2Wire (DirecTV HR20), and our wireless units around the house will use the 2Wire.

I performed the instructions at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point and have done everything multiple times. The 2Wire's ip is 192.168.1.254 so I left the dd-wrt as 192.168.1.1 with it assigning ip's at x.x.x.100+ since the 2Wire does x.x.x.6/7x. After performing those steps should I set the dd-wrt up to DHCP Forwarder? The name of the 2Wire is Owls, do I enter that into the dd-wrt settings or something like dd-wrt owls? I did not see a place to enter the 2Wire network key, is that needed? When I plug the dd-wrt into the 2Wire for the initial connection, do I go dd-wrt Lan/Internet to 2Wire lan or dd-wrt Wan/Ethernet to 2Wire Lan?

Sorry for all the questions, and any confusion I might have caused.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are wiring the dd-wrt router to the 2wire, do a hard reset on the dd-wrt, set the IP to 192.168.2.1, and plug the cable from the 2wire into the WAN (NOT LAN) port of the dd-wrt. Set wireless ssid and security, and you are done.

There are other ways to do this, but this is simple and it works.

You will never use dhcp forwarder.

Make sure you have read and understood all of the required reading sections of the peacock announcement.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
mx6bfast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried step 15 of the peacock thread and my dd-wrt still doesn't show up on the list of devices on the 2Wire. I have 2 pc's I am working from, this one and the dd-wrt is on the other pc. The dd-wrt is going to be a wireless connection to my network.

If it matters dd-wrt v24-sp2, 54Gv2.
mx6bfast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finally got this resolved.

I followed the initial steps located at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge#Instructions and then performed this tidbit at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge#WPA_.26_WPA2. Once I did this the wireless dd-wrt router was showing up on the 2Wire and I was connected to the internet from the pc that was plugged into the dd-wrt. For good measure I went ahead and reconnected my HD-DVR so all of them would be connected, did a VOD, and streamed music from a pc connected directly into the 2Wire to a separate HD-DVR.
panchothemex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having the same problem with the 2wire router. What was the "tidbit" on the website you used to fix the problem?
mx6bfast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
panchothemex wrote:
I'm having the same problem with the 2wire router. What was the "tidbit" on the website you used to fix the problem?

Yeah, once I chose either WPA or WPA2 it finally connected.

Of course over the weekend that router lost connectivity to the network. Unfortunately and lckily I backed the settings up and will just reload them.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
mx6bfast wrote:
lckily I backed the settings up and will just reload them.

Then you will probably re-introduce the same problem that caused the problem in the first place. You would have found your initial "tidbit" on proper encryption, and the tibit to not reload settings if the router is not working, and many others, in the peacock announcement. Some sections are marked REQUIRED reading....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
mx6bfast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
mx6bfast wrote:
lckily I backed the settings up and will just reload them.

Then you will probably re-introduce the same problem that caused the problem in the first place. You would have found your initial "tidbit" on proper encryption, and the tibit to not reload settings if the router is not working, and many others, in the peacock announcement. Some sections are marked REQUIRED reading....

I have read a few wiki articles that didn't get the dd-wrt on the network wirelessly that said they would work. The links I posted above worked for me. Going back to my first post those wireless steps didn't work and I followed them. The post where I was able to get it to work was to help other people. If there are multiple posts that need to be read they need to be linked together in a "if this didn't work try this" way.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
mx6bfast wrote:
I have read a few wiki articles that didn't get the dd-wrt on the network wirelessly that said they would work. The links I posted above worked for me. Going back to my first post those wireless steps didn't work and I followed them. The post where I was able to get it to work was to help other people. If there are multiple posts that need to be read they need to be linked together in a "if this didn't work try this" way.

OR we could just put a big announcement in bold that says:

STOP! READ THIS SHORT ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE YOU POST!

and link the REQUIRED reading posts that contain the REQUIRED information.

and then tell those people who obviously didn't read them, that they NEED to.....

Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: