PPTP VPN tunnel unable to load some websites

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
nitrocs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found a link to this thread due to my suffering from a similar issue. Although the elegant fix is phuzi0n's ip-up command...i really dont want to reboot my router!

I wrote a down & dirty script that can be used to fix the problem. Figured I'd share with all in case anyone wants to use it:

Quote:

#!/bin/sh
#
echo " "
echo " "
echo "SET MTU OF ppp0 - ppp5 to 1420"
echo " "
echo " "

echo "Fix ppp0 MTU"
ifconfig ppp0 mtu 1420
if [ $? -gt 0 ];
then
echo " "
else
echo "OK"
echo " "
fi

echo "Fix ppp1 MTU"
ifconfig ppp1 mtu 1420
if [ $? -gt 0 ];
then
echo " "
else
echo "OK"
echo " "
fi

echo "Fix ppp2 MTU"
ifconfig ppp2 mtu 1420
if [ $? -gt 0 ];
then
echo " "
else
echo "OK"
echo " "
fi

echo "Fix ppp3 MTU"
ifconfig ppp3 mtu 1420
if [ $? -gt 0 ];
then
echo " "
else
echo "OK"
echo " "
fi

echo "Fix ppp4 MTU"
ifconfig ppp4 mtu 1420
if [ $? -gt 0 ];
then
echo " "
else
echo "OK"
echo " "
fi

echo "Fix ppp5 MTU"
ifconfig ppp5 mtu 1420
if [ $? -gt 0 ];
then
echo " "
else
echo "OK"
echo " "
fi

paste code in web GUI: Administration/Commands
save as custom script
execute by command:
Quote:
sh /tmp/custom.sh
Sponsor
okachobi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 16:15    Post subject: Mac OSX Reply with quote
I was having this same issue with recent (build 19154) of the Buffalo version of DD-WRT for the WZR-HP-AG300H.

The fix that someone mentioned of forcing 128 bit encryption under Mac OSX worked. I don't know why. It looks like locally the MTU on the mac side is set to 1440 for the ppp0 device, and on the DD-WRT side it is set to 1446.

Previously the MTU on the DD-WRT was being set to 1442 by default, and changing it did not appear to have any affect. (presumably because both sides of the connection matter??) I didn't check the other side of the pptp connection in the past, so I'm not sure what OSX had for it before....but setting encryption to 128 bit forced (or in version 10.6+ of OSX "maximum") seems to have worked.

thanks!
deanobdsm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: RT-N16
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std-usb-ftp

Just wanted to say Nitrocs script worked 100% for me. Follow his steps and your https tcp packets will get through no problem.

tags for google: https secure login vpn dd-wrt pages site wont load
nttwi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
i changed the MTU to 1000 and everything went well. i could open webistes without any problem.

by default it was 1420..change it to 1000 and everything will work Smile

good luck
nttwi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
i changed the MTU to 1000 and everything went well. i could open webistes without any problem.

by default it was 1420..change it to 1000 and everything will work Smile

good luck
Pidgey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dfury wrote:
This may help someone else...so I figured I'd post it.

I came across this same problem today where I couldn't get all webpages to load over my Windows 7 PPTP connection to my DDWRT at home. After some searching around I came across this site:

http://windows7themes.net/how-to-change-mtu-on-windows-7.html

Going through this process, I ended up changing the MTU on my Windows 7 "VPN Connection" down to 1372. Everything seems to be working now over PPTP. I was having problems with drudge and usaa.com. They are working now.

This worked also for me!
Easiest fix I think!!
I also changed the mtu to 1372 and now it works perfectly! Thanks a lot!

Just open command browser and find you VPN interface:
netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

Then set MTU:
netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "NAME OF YOUR INTERFACE" mtu=1372 store=persistent
teddy_irish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 20:58    Post subject: 100% fix for PPTP VPN tunnel unable to load some websites Reply with quote
Let me share with you one elegant simple way to make your Windows PC to work 100% with the DDWRT VPN PPTP Server on your router. Usually as you know some or many websites are unavailable when using DDWRT VPN connection.
First: Download and install Citrix Deterministic Network Enhancer - DNE for 32 Bit Windows 8 and 8.1; DNE for 64 Bit Windows 8 and 8.1. You must REBOOT after finishing installation.
Second: Download and install Cisco VPN 64-bit v5.0.07.0440 for WinXP, Vista, Win7
You must REBOOT after finishing installation. And that's it! You dont't have to change any MTU size values or whatsoever on your DDWRT PPTP server router. Leave everything by default. Just install these 2 files on your PC and reboot after each installation.
Now when you log in to your VPN connection you will open every website without exception - just like on Linux machine.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: