Dlink DIR-825 slow over WIRED ethernet - POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ultralame
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 18:24    Post subject: Dlink DIR-825 slow over WIRED ethernet - POSSIBLE SOLUTION Reply with quote
I am running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896 on a Dlink DIR-825, in gateway mode.

I have both wireless radios enabled, but I turned all the clients off (and verified) to troubleshoot this problem.

Essentially, I noticed slow download speeds this morning, here's what I can tell you (I have been testing with both a window7 laptop and a windows7 desktop).

-I hooked my laptop up to the modem, bypassing the router and I get 20Mb speeds.
-I connect through the router via WiFi on my laptop and I get 20Mb speeds.
-I removed ALL other ethernet clients (both wired and wifi) and connected my desktop through the router and I get 2-3Mbit connection.
-I did the same for my laptop (wired, through the router) and I get 2-3Mb connection.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the router's wired ethernet switch? What can I do about this?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by ultralame on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:58; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
ultralame
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, I just transferred a large file between the two computers, through the Dlink, over a wired connection and got ~100Mb connection (limit of the laptop ethernet port).

So the issue appears to be only when downloading from the internet through the wired port of the router.
ultralame
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
And just to stem any questions, I didn't do any advanced configuration to the firmware, just enabled wireless (DHCP and DNS are performed elsewhere) and set up the internet connection.

It's possible that something is set incorrectly, but I had not changed any settings in weeks, and only noticed this issue today (saw decent download speeds 24 hours ago).

And I have tried power cycling.
Lerxst2k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 20:16    Post subject: Slow wired WAN Downloads Reply with quote
I see the same behavior on my DIR-825.
I have tried the 15962 build as well with the same slowness downloading from the WAN to a wired LAN port. I get no faster than perhaps 2Mbps download speeds.

Both WiFi bands seem unaffected by this.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?
hi-tech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMA the router. Its defective. (had the same issue)
Lerxst2k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 23:52    Post subject: RMA? Reply with quote
hi-tech wrote:
RMA the router. Its defective. (had the same issue)

Thanks but I don't think the router has a hardware problem. The stock firmware works fine. I get full download speeds form the WAN on the wired LAN ports using the latest D-Link firmware.

What hardware revision did you receive when you RMA'd your DIR-825? I currently have revision B1.
dorsey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same issue, just noticed transferring an iso off of my server with a supposed gigabit connection capped at 2 megabytes per second exactly. I don't think it's a router issue; it caps transfer at exactly 2MBps and that seems like a weird symptom for a random failure...
Lerxst2k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 13:45    Post subject: WAN --> Wired LAN Reply with quote
dorsey wrote:
Same issue, just noticed transferring an iso off of my server with a supposed gigabit connection capped at 2 megabytes per second exactly. I don't think it's a router issue; it caps transfer at exactly 2MBps and that seems like a weird symptom for a random failure...

Souds like you are having a different issue tha I am. I am only experiencing slow WAN --> Wired LAN downloads. LAN <--> LAN transfers are fine for me.
dorsey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 16:13    Post subject: Re: WAN --> Wired LAN Reply with quote
Lerxst2k wrote:
dorsey wrote:

Souds like you are having a different issue tha I am. I am only experiencing slow WAN --> Wired LAN downloads. LAN <--> LAN transfers are fine for me.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. My issue is slow wired LAN to wireless transfers. I need to test and see if I am having an issue with LAN-to-LAN and WAN-to-LAN as well. I thought this was the thread I saw for this exact issue the other day, I might have just found the wrong thread though Smile
misterph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 18:45    Post subject: Wired speed problem with DIR-825 B2 Reply with quote
I have exactly the same problem with my DIR-825 B2:
WAN <=> WLAN Ok
but
WAN => LAN very slow (about 1-3mb/s)
WLAN => LAN very slow (about 1-3mb/s)
LAN => WAN Ok
LAN => WLAN Ok
LAN <=> LAN Ok

There was the same bug with OpenWRT, but the latest version (r25121) solved it: there was bad initialization values in the switch's driver (https: / / dev.openwrt.org / ticket/7988 )

I hope this could help the DD-WRT development team to solve the problem in the next version ...

Last edited by misterph on Mon Feb 28, 2011 22:42; edited 1 time in total
dorsey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I posted a ticket in Trac at http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/1950 so hopefully someone can help Smile
Lerxst2k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 13:57    Post subject: Why Closed? Reply with quote
dorsey wrote:
I posted a ticket in Trac at http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/1950 so hopefully someone can help Smile

Looks like the ticket was closed.
I still have no idea how to fix this. I am running the latest build but I still have the problem with slow WAN -> wired LAN downloads.
misterph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 21:02    Post subject: Unsolved Reply with quote
I don't understand why the ticket has been closed, the problem is still there!
It seems to concern only the B2 version of the DIR-825, but not the B1 and neither the Netgear WNDR3700 (i've one too, and it works fine on DD-WRT).
Perhaps a different revision of the switch...

The symptoms are excactly the same with the older versions of OpenWRT, but they solved it on the last version. Why can't the DD-WRT team solve it too?

With such a bug, the DIR-825 B2 is unusable with DD-WRT, only 1-3 Mb/s WAN to LAN, when my connection goes up to 100mb/s with the stock firmware and with my WNDR3700!
Lerxst2k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 22:07    Post subject: Re: Unsolved Reply with quote
misterph wrote:
It seems to concern only the B2 version of the DIR-825, but not the B1 and neither the Netgear WNDR3700 (i've one too, and it works fine on DD-WRT).
Perhaps a different revision of the switch...

I have the B1 version and have this problem.
dorsey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I feel like an idiot now. Turns out my problem was unrelated, after tweaking my wireless settings I'm getting proper throughput around 10 MB/sec, and LAN->LAN speeds are through the roof off of my server. Sorry for being misleading Embarassed, and good luck with your WAN issue.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: