Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Ltalianguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
To add to my previous post, for the time being I went ahead and installed the 19342 Mega firmware.

From what I can see it appears to be working. When I installed the firmware I followed these directions precisely: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U#Upload_Firmware_via_Recovery_Utility

Is this the latest build for the N66U or should I be running something else? Thanks.
Sponsor
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Other than the NVRAM issue, how is this router performing with DD-WRT? Is there any difference over stock firmware in wireless speed and range, better or worse?
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
tkoyn wrote:
Other than the NVRAM issue, how is this router performing with DD-WRT? Is there any difference over stock firmware in wireless speed and range, better or worse?

Nvram is no loinger and issue, and I get 450mb/s on the 5ghz side.. This is now a very good router to use with great range.

-Fractal
kt_haddock
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi Fractal and thanks for this builds, I have a question:

What is different with this builds:

dd-wrt.v24-20202_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-RT-N16.trx

dd-wrt.v24-20202_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin

I use to use .bin on my rt-n16 after load .trx first.

kthaddock Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
kt_haddock wrote:
hi Fractal and thanks for this builds, I have a question:

What is different with this builds:

dd-wrt.v24-20202_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-RT-N16.trx

dd-wrt.v24-20202_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin

I use to use .bin on my rt-n16 after load .trx first.

kthaddock Laughing

you dont need a trailed build for mega for this device if you already have dd-wrt on it... I supplied both files for N16, so if you are going from factory you can use either or...

-Fractal
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since this is the N66U thread I will CONFIRM... you were talking about the N16... if you have a modified N66U 64kcfe there is a seperate folder on barrywares ftp for the new 20202 bin that has this support and its accurately labeled.

-Fractal
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
tkoyn wrote:

Nvram is no loinger and issue, and I get 450mb/s on the 5ghz side.. This is now a very good router to use with great range.

-Fractal

Did you notice any difference in the wireless throughput on DD-WRT as compared to stock firmware? When you say you get 450mb/s, that is probably the indicated link speed. What actual transfer speeds do you achieve moving files between your computers, and how far from router are you as you observe actual performance.

I have two WRT600N, one client bridged and the fastest real world speed I get over the wireless bridge is 50 megabits/sec when computers are wired to the routers and data going over one 5 ghz 40mhz wide channel across a couple rooms. How much of an upgrade will I see with this router if I bridge two of these, since I already have N? Is this now the best N class router supported by DD-WRT?

Is there a summary of how I should install, what builds, how to install the CFE NVRAM fix, etc, and how to go back to stock firmware if I wish? A wiki page? Or is it just buried in the many pages of the two RT-AC66U threads? How stable is DD-WRT running? Can I expect stable performance with the various features of DD-WRT such as AP mode, client bridge mode, dyndns support, use of startup and firewall scripts, open vpn, access restrictions to limit certain ip address off Internet, etc. what features are known to be still broken?

I am trying to decide if it would be wise to purchase this router or if I should stay with WRT600Ns I have.

Thanks
kt_haddock
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
Since this is the N66U thread I will CONFIRM... you were talking about the N16... if you have a modified N66U 64kcfe there is a seperate folder on barrywares ftp for the new 20202 bin that has this support and its accurately labeled.

-Fractal

Yes, sorry i realized after i post that. My misstake,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Optware still not running on this one?
hatemyway
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I purchased this router yesterday and have read the various threads dealing with the NVRAM issues. I have used DDWRT on various linksys routers through the years so I a little experience.

I have upgraded the router to the lastest firmware which supposedly addresses the NVRAM issue.

To install DDWRT do I just follow these procedures:
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U#Upload_Firmware_via_Recovery_Utility

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
hatemyway wrote:
I purchased this router yesterday and have read the various threads dealing with the NVRAM issues. I have used DDWRT on various linksys routers through the years so I a little experience.

I have upgraded the router to the lastest firmware which supposedly addresses the NVRAM issue.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U#Upload_Firmware_via_Recovery_Utility

The asus firmware that fixes the nvram issue is done only with their firmware. If you switch to dd-wrt unless you have actually updated the nvram to 64k, you still will only have 32k.
If you search the forum you will find the thread dealing with the nvram issue.
hatemyway
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. Appreciate the info.

Malachi wrote:
hatemyway wrote:

The asus firmware that fixes the nvram issue is done only with their firmware. If you switch to dd-wrt unless you have actually updated the nvram to 64k, you still will only have 32k.
mightyschwartz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
hatemyway wrote:

Can you point me to some info on this process?

Edit: I found info on the process. However, is there a supported 64k version of the DD-WRT for the RT-N66U? I read in the thread that you shouldn't install dd-wrt with the 64kb updated CFE.

Edit: Also found much further down in the thread. Thanks Fractal.
GH0
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
tkoyn wrote:

-Fractal

Fractal can you post your wireless, and advanced wireless settings? A long with any CLI changes?

I am still seeing sub-par wireless performance (even at times lagging/disconnecting). I have waps, and I tested to make sure it was infact the N66U by disabling all the WAPs.

I fiddled with the Bluetooth Coexistence mode, along with Afterburner, but it doesn't seem to have helped much at all.
phrequency
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 18:17    Post subject: Wifi Reply with quote
Hello,

I am also having Wifi issues, but they're different. Basically I'm having trouble receiving push notifications on my android phone while it's asleep. I can't determine if it's my router or the phone that's causing the problem. Anyone else have an HTC One S and wouldn't mind running the following test? If not, a device running Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean will work. At least I can rule out Android in general.

1. Go to settings and turn off mobile data.

2. Set the Android device to never turn Wifi off during sleep. Again under settings, go to Wifi. Bring up the menu and hit advanced. Make sure keep Wifi on during sleep is set to always.

3. Put the phone to sleep. Wait about a minute and somehow trigger a push notification on the Android device. I sent myself Google Talk messages from another account.

4. Notice that it may take from 5 seconds to over 30 minutes to get the notification. This behavior doesn't occur if the phone is plugged in. This makes me thing that it has something to do with WMM APSD. Changing this setting has no affect, however. Also, when I press power to wake the phone, the notification comes in immediately. No delay at all.

I'd really like to nail this thing down. Some of the stuff I get is fairly critical, and my data plan is not unlimited. If there's anything further I can do to help just ask. I'll try and test other routers, but it might be a little while before that happens. It would suck to have to give up this one... It's fantastic.

Edit: Running Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.246.19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 69 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: