Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
BasCom
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Roffel.
TL-WR841ND @ BS-build 23919 Client Bridge ( Routed )
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
BasCom wrote:
Roffel.

Was it something I said?
BasCom
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
nope. the guy over you did try.
pietrasm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
BasCom wrote:
nope. the guy over you did try.

So, the only way to go is to do a new configuration by hand?

Thanks.
BasCom
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
didnt you ever try to restore a backup from a pc, to a completely different pc ? it wont work !pls use your brain ;D so, jes you have to configure new by hand.
pietrasm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
BasCom wrote:
didnt you ever try to restore a backup from a pc, to a completely different pc ? it wont work !pls use your brain ;D so, jes you have to configure new by hand.

Actually, it works with Macs, FreeBSD and all iOS devices as well. I am aware that it doesn't work with Windows but I don't use it.

Thanks.
Ozpa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys. I'm getting my RT-N66U this week and I have a few questions.

1) Are there different versions of this router model? (for example, the last router I bought was the Linksys WRT54G which was version 7.2, besides that there was about 8 other versions to that router starting v1.0, v2.0.... v7.0 etc. that had different RAM/flash/chip speeds, they also needed specific DD-WRT versions when flashing - or right now there's only one 1.0 version of the router)
2) What's that CFE/NVRAM thing I keep reading about on the router wiki page? That whole page is big and confusing to me (and outdated?) and from what I've read here the Kong version of the firmware is considered the way to go right now, correct?

Thanks in advance.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't flash any of these builds until you figure out this "nvram/cfe thing" or you'll end up with a bricked router.
Ozpa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
It said in the wiki that the "NVRAM is resolved" so I thought maybe Asus fixed/improved that part in the new revision of the router.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nope.
katinatez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ozpa wrote:
Hi guys. I'm getting my RT-N66U this week and I have a few questions.

1) Are there different versions of this router model? (for example, the last router I bought was the Linksys WRT54G which was version 7.2, besides that there was about 8 other versions to that router starting v1.0, v2.0.... v7.0 etc. that had different RAM/flash/chip speeds, they also needed specific DD-WRT versions when flashing - or right now there's only one 1.0 version of the router)
2) What's that CFE/NVRAM thing I keep reading about on the router wiki page? That whole page is big and confusing to me (and outdated?) and from what I've read here the Kong version of the firmware is considered the way to go right now, correct?

Thanks in advance.

1. I believe its only one version out.

2.The first batch of routers had 32kb nvram so thats why everyone was upgrading the CFE/NVRAM to 64kb. If you just bought the router what you want to do is upload Merlins(forum http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?s=b685bf86c5857d2f835820ba127a6a92&f=37) build RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_270.26b.zip then extract the zip to find the .trx file upload in web gui, after upgrading to Merlins build go to tools>systeminfo to see the bootloader CFE version. If its 1.0.1.3 then you could skip the whole CFE upgrade. I know all this because I just bought my rt-n66u, 3 weeks ago and it arrived with the newest CFE of 1.0.1.3 with 64kb nvram.

3.Again if you have 1.0.1.3 CFE already you can flash any 64kb build from fractual, or Kong build, or tomato 64kb.

4. Save you the time here is Merlins link
http://www.mediafire.com/asuswrt-merlin/#a5gwz5qgq0d3q

Fractual builds ftp://ftp.basmaf.com/Fractal_Builds/

Kong builds
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/

did not list tomato because I dont use it but Im sure you could find it. Last thing there is a mini build and rtn66u build if you flash these you will brick router(these are for the first rt-n66u routers with 32kb nvram), they have to state 64k in the name of the file these are for the 1.0.1.3 CFE with 64kb nvram.
Good luck
Ozpa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
katinez, deeply appreciated your reply. Once I get my router I'm not going to rush but be very careful to follow steps.

What would you guys say are the biggest differences between Kong and Fractal builds? I'm looking for a really strong QoS that would separate heavy connection usage (youtube/p2p at 80-90% connection max speeds) and would let me play online games with minimal impact in ping/delay.

Another question. In the Asuswrt-Merlin readme it says:
Quote:
NOTE: If you were still running a 32KB nvram firmware on an RT-N66U (which
usually mean an original firmware older than 3.0.0.4.220), the first time
you flash a 64KB-enabled firmware (such as Asuswrt-merlin) it will
wipe ALL your current settings and revert back to factory default!
This is required to upgrade the nvram storage to 64 KB.

Does this mean I don't need to "enable" the 64k NVRAM beforehand like I would need to if I was installing DD-WRT? If yes, I wonder why is flashing to Merlin so simple while DD-WRT needs extra steps to first expanding NVRAM and why is it separate from installing DD-WRT firmware. I guess you can just install Merlin to expand NVRAM and then proceed with DD-WRT/Tomato or whatever else.
katinatez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ozpa wrote:
katinez, deeply appreciated your reply. Once I get my router I'm not going to rush but be very careful to follow steps.

What would you guys say are the biggest differences between Kong and Fractal builds? I'm looking for a really strong QoS that would separate heavy connection usage (youtube/p2p at 80-90% connection max speeds) and would let me play online games with minimal impact in ping/delay.

Another question. In the Asuswrt-Merlin readme it says:
Quote:
NOTE: If you were still running a 32KB nvram firmware on an RT-N66U (which
usually mean an original firmware older than 3.0.0.4.220), the first time
you flash a 64KB-enabled firmware (such as Asuswrt-merlin) it will
wipe ALL your current settings and revert back to factory default!
This is required to upgrade the nvram storage to 64 KB.

Does this mean I don't need to "enable" the 64k NVRAM beforehand like I would need to if I was installing DD-WRT? If yes, I wonder why is flashing to Merlin so simple while DD-WRT needs extra steps to first expanding NVRAM and why is it separate from installing DD-WRT firmware. I guess you can just install Merlin to expand NVRAM and then proceed with DD-WRT/Tomato or whatever else.

Not to sure about the QoS in either build of Fractual or Kong. I flashed all three within 1 hour of opening my new router, but settled with Merlins build because I had faster wi fi speeds then the first two, also the usb storage has some bugs in the current build of DDWRT.

Yes thats the official webpage of Merlin.

And I suggested to flash Merlins first because it's the easiest way of finding out your CFE/bootloader version without using telnet/ssh.

Also Merlin build is compatible with 32kb and 64kb, first check your bootloader version before going any further.

Merlin build will not upgrade your CFE, you have to do it manually if you are going with ddwrt64kb build.
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another reason for installing my firmware first is to get SSH support. Makes it easier then to transfer files using SCP if you were preparing the CFE on another Linux machine, and also to keep your backup (make sure you DO keep a backup of the original CFE!).
Ozpa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oooh ok. The way I thought it worked is that when you upgrade to Merlin it expands your NVRAM to 64k if it's lower, but in reality it works in both 32 and 64k.
So the procedure to expand NVRAM is the same no matter what firmware I will want to upgrade to? (just in case my router is 32k)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 92 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: