Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
John5788
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
ColonelSplendid wrote:
Zwirek wrote:
I`m considering buying the asus rt-n66u. When doing some research I have found multiple articles describing different ways of flashing this router with dd-wrt and each one of those articles says that if I dont follow exactly this i can brick the device. They are slightly different though.

I am getting confused a lot there.
What is the most recent way of flashing the rt-n66u? Do I have to still be mindful on which model I am buying?

Is it still a router you would buy today or would you consider something else instead?

I already own one running the stock asus firmware and am looking to get some dd-wrt on it, and am having the same issue, doesnt seem most things have been updated for a year or so and I assume things have changed quite a bit.

Basically I'm looking for a guide to install for current builds, I've installed before but on routers where it is pretty simple, just find the right build and upload through the web ui.

I had some success with this last night. I am a first time DD-WRT user and recently bought the RT-N66U.

I first wiped the settings by holding the WPS button while powering on, then loaded this through the web interface:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/05-27-2013-r21676/broadcom_K3X-EXPERIMENTAL/dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx

Then the firmware update asked me to manually reboot the system which I did. After that loaded, I went ahead and updated to the latest BrainSlayer build through the updater utility with the restore factory settings option selected:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/04-18-2014-r23919/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-23919_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx

After it booted up, the router couldn't establish a WAN address, even with DHCP. I power cycled my modem and the router and then everything was fine.
Sponsor
garethsargeant
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 22:46    Post subject: Can't establish WAN address Reply with quote
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/04-18-2014-r23919/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-23919_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx

After it booted up, the router couldn't establish a WAN address, even with DHCP. I power cycled my modem and the router and then everything was fine.[/quote]

Hi - I followed these instructions today and was able to flash both firmwares (thank-you). I am able to control all the settings but I seem to be stuck establishing a WAN address. I have tried every combination of power-cycling to no avail. I have a fixed IP address which I am adept at configuring with my ISP on various routers. Is there an area I should investigate further? A direction to go in (like a different firmware/some switch that needs to be configured, etc)?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Gareth
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 22:55    Post subject: Re: Can't establish WAN address Reply with quote
garethsargeant wrote:
Hi - I followed these instructions today and was able to flash both firmwares (thank-you). I am able to control all the settings but I seem to be stuck establishing a WAN address. I have tried every combination of power-cycling to no avail. I have a fixed IP address which I am adept at configuring with my ISP on various routers. Is there an area I should investigate further? A direction to go in (like a different firmware/some switch that needs to be configured, etc)?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Gareth

As said, test builds are not guaranteed to work at all. Use this firmware: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC/23900/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_OLDD.bin

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

simpz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still can't make any progress on my port forwarding issue, I upgraded to:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC/23900/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_OLDD.bin

, seems to be the most stable from discussions. Blanked the nvram. Only configured a password, LAN address and my WAN setup (PPPoE). Added a single SSH port forward. As soon as I SCP from the outside to the inside via this port forward, it hangs at 2112KB.

testfile 9% 2112KB 0.0KB/s - stalled

Revert my firmware back to dd-wrt.v24-21625_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx. The scp goes straight through with no stall.

I know issues like this are usually associated with MTU values, but on the WAN side it's the same on both firmwares - 1492 (which I saw recommended originally for my ISP BT Infinity on PPPoE).

Note I'm just using scp to test, this happens with SMTP too.

Any thoughts I'm totally stuck, does this work for other people?
dopke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the reason for flashing with the .trx for K3x and then after that, "uprading" or flashing again with the .bin (the .bin is just renaming the .trx right?)?
simpz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't know why it's called .bin over .trx just what it's called on the website that it's distributed on.

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC/23900/

The reason for flashing again is that the
dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_OLDD firmware is claimed to be the most stable version, but I had to revert my previous version to get my port forwarding back.
dopke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
simpz wrote:
Don't know why it's called .bin over .trx just what it's called on the website that it's distributed on.

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC/23900/

The reason for flashing again is that the
dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_OLDD firmware is claimed to be the most stable version, but I had to revert my previous version to get my port forwarding back.

I guess my question was aimed at these instructions on the wiki:

"Principle steps
Clear settings (Clear NVRAM) select Factory Default settings
Install the INITIAL ASUS RT-N66U version of DD-WRT (file name ends in .trx) using either the Web GUI method or the Recover Utility method. Both methods are described below
"Upgrade" to your final version of DD-WRT (filename ends in .bin) using Web GUI or Recovery Utility

Note: is IMPORTANT to clear NVRAM (to select Factory Default settings) BEFORE and AFTER upload of any new firmware."
simpz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I probably did.

But surely the blank before the firmware change would only be in this procedure to fix any potential issues with the installation procedure/reboot itself.

A blank AFTER should clear all config information, there can't be any "hidden" config left to screw this up? If you have a running firmware and you fully blank, it should be *clean*, and any issues in a new setup will be inherent to the firmware version, and not the config?
survient
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Currently flashed an RT-N66R(same but best buy) to DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/18/14) mega (SVN revision 23919)

and it seems to be running ok aside from being a slight bottleneck:

I've tested directly connected to my modem I get my full speed:

Looking for some pointers on what to do at this point, any help would be appreciated. QoS is disabled, and most settings are default.
simpz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I double checked with a new round firmware versions. Blanked before and after the firmware change. It's still hanging on my port forward at 2112KB of data transferred with dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_OLDD.bin.

I sadly think this router despite how good it is hardware wise, will have to head to dumpster, as I'm just stuck.
Mibuix0r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a firmware that allows for full 1750mbit speeds? I am getting a max of about 20mbit on all 4 firmwares I have tried for this router. I am getting close to 1750 with the newest asus firmware.
kabadisha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:06    Post subject: Re: QoS causing re-boots Reply with quote
kabadisha wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have just updated to the latest of brainslayer's K3.x builds (23598) and all seems well except for QoS.

Basically if I enable QoS (tried lots of different QoS configurations) and then run a test using speedtest.net, about half way through the downlink test, the router stops responding to pings and all clients (wired and wireless) get booted off for about 30 seconds.

Strictly speaking, I don't think the thing re-boots, but definitely kills any open connections.

The speetest is a reliable way to reproduce the issue, but it happens regularly without running the test.

Anyone have any insight? - I found this bug, but not sure if it is relevant: http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/2943

I don't know if I can tail a log or something to diagnose, so please let me know if I can provide any more information.

BTW, I can confirm that with the K.3 builds the MMC card works and I can install OTRW 2 fine.

Thanks Smile

Hi All,
Can anyone confirm if the QoS bug I mentioned a few months ago (above) has been resolved by either the Brainslayer or Kong builds?

Just wondering if it's worth the hassle of an update.

Thanks
kabadisha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 22:11    Post subject: Re: QoS causing re-boots Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

Have managed to hook up serial for debugging this QoS issue,

To reproduce:
1) Enable QoS with the settings in the attached image.
2) Run speedtest.net speed test
3) Wait for reboot.

My router is an Asus RT-N66U and I am on build 23598

Here is the snapshot of the serial output, starting just as the QoS settings are saved:
Code:

[APPLY] QoS (null) (null)
submit_button=[QoS] submit_type=[save]
name=[QoS] type=[save] service=[filters] sleep=[1] action=[5]
deadlock detected, try to fix it
deadlock detected, try to fix it
SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
IMQ driver loaded successfully. (numdevs = 2, numqueues = 1)
   Hooking IMQ before NAT on PREROUTING.
   Hooking IMQ after NAT on POSTROUTING.
RTNETLINK answers: No such file or directory
Decompressing...done
tmp_ret= 0

CFE version 5.100.127 based on BBP 1.0.37 for BCM947XX (32bit,SP,LE)
Build Date: 五  9月 14 17:47:35 CST 2012 (boyau@localhost)
Copyright (C) 2000-2008 Broadcom Corporation.

Init Arena
Init Devs.
Boot partition size = 262144(0x40000)
et0: Broadcom BCM47XX 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Controller 5.100.127
CPU type 0x19749: 600MHz
Tot mem: 131072 KBytes

CFE mem:    0x80700000 - 0x80839350 (1282896)
Data:       0x80733120 - 0x807363E0 (12992)
BSS:        0x807363E0 - 0x80737350 (3952)
Heap:       0x80737350 - 0x80837350 (1048576)
Stack:      0x80837350 - 0x80839350 (8192)
Text:       0x80700000 - 0x80733118 (209176)

Device eth0:  hwaddr 08-60-6E-BA-9A-28, ipaddr 192.168.1.1, mask 255.255.255.0
        gateway not set, nameserver not set
Null Rescue Flag.
Loader:raw Filesys:tftp Dev:eth0 File:: Options:(null)
Loading: TFTP Server.
Failed.

QoS Settings.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.14 KB
 Viewed:  16180 Time(s)

QoS Settings.png

andrewcoja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 18:30    Post subject: Re: QoS causing re-boots Reply with quote
kabadisha wrote:
kabadisha wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have just updated to the latest of brainslayer's K3.x builds (23598) and all seems well except for QoS.

Basically if I enable QoS (tried lots of different QoS configurations) and then run a test using speedtest.net, about half way through the downlink test, the router stops responding to pings and all clients (wired and wireless) get booted off for about 30 seconds.

Strictly speaking, I don't think the thing re-boots, but definitely kills any open connections.

The speetest is a reliable way to reproduce the issue, but it happens regularly without running the test.

Anyone have any insight? - I found this bug, but not sure if it is relevant: http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/2943

I don't know if I can tail a log or something to diagnose, so please let me know if I can provide any more information.

BTW, I can confirm that with the K.3 builds the MMC card works and I can install OTRW 2 fine.

Thanks Smile

Hi All,
Can anyone confirm if the QoS bug I mentioned a few months ago (above) has been resolved by either the Brainslayer or Kong builds?

Just wondering if it's worth the hassle of an update.

Thanks

I just updated to 23919 this morning and turned on QoS. I haven't noticed any crashing. I don't know if it's doing anything though as the only way I knew it was on before was that my router crashed every several seconds. My router has beenup for 3 hours so far with no problems.
kabadisha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 18:58    Post subject: Re: QoS causing re-boots Reply with quote
andrewcoja wrote:
I just updated to 23919 this morning and turned on QoS. I haven't noticed any crashing. I don't know if it's doing anything though as the only way I knew it was on before was that my router crashed every several seconds. My router has beenup for 3 hours so far with no problems.

Thanks dude, let us know if you have any trouble Smile
I'll try it myself next weekend if I get the chance.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 141 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: