Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
-DELETED_Klappis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 22:04    Post subject: Re: BrainSlayer's latest release not working for me Reply with quote
Axel Foley wrote:
Hi,

the latest BrainSlayer's versions (all three 24xxx, K3) are not working for me: after update the router goes into reboot loop, even after clearing NVRAM,resetting etc.

Using recovery mode, I can go back to latest kong's release (24200M) that works perfectly.

Did something important change into BrainSlayer's version in the last 2-3 months? I've tried all thre 24xxx releases and they produce the same problem, while Kong's versions work perfectly.

Never happened before...I've switched often from Kong's to BrainSlayer's without problems.

Thanks.

Same for me. I used the 21676 build which is quite old and i was upgrading to the latest which is the 24461 i think which didn't work. It went into a reboot loop very irritating. How do one really install them correctly without the router flipping out?

On a sidenote. What is the difference between the MEGA and the BIG versions? Which one should i use?
Sponsor
Norfolk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:52    Post subject: 3G/4G with custom firmwares? Reply with quote
Hello,

i have the RT-N66U with stock FW 3.0.0.4.374_4561 running with bugs. WAN-Connection is only done by 3G-Stick (Huawei E353) at USB-Port.

I only use 3G for WAN and while I assume lots of my problems come from the 3G-part, unfortunately, there is next to none information on this. Most guides mention like "oh, and yes, it also supports 3G/4G".

Does anyone have info on how good 3G/4G is working with custom firmware, or with which firmwares it is working at all?

Here are the problems I got with the stock-fw:

The router seems instable and requires a power off every few days. A soft restart is not enough. Sometimes, it just loses the 3G-connection or gets a bandwith of only 0,5 Mbit instead of the 6-8 Mbit the 3G should deliver (a power off/on fixes that, so it's not the network), sometimes the whole router seems to freeze with no WLAN/LAN, too. The mentioned FW is the newest which got the 3G-Stick working at all, I tried the latest one but had to downgrade, as it recognized my stick, but did not connect to my 3G-network.

Also, when changing settings at the router, the router wants to restart almost after every single command. It's like "oh, you wanna activate this tiny option or change that value here? Sure, please wait 5 mins until I did a reboot". I can live with that, but it makes my wonder, why everyone tells that this router should be one of the best. Is this better with custom firmwares?

thanks,
Norfolk
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 14:51    Post subject: Re: 3G/4G with custom firmwares? Reply with quote
Norfolk wrote:
Hello,

i have the RT-N66U with stock FW 3.0.0.4.374_4561 running with bugs. WAN-Connection is only done by 3G-Stick (Huawei E353) at USB-Port.

I only use 3G for WAN and while I assume lots of my problems come from the 3G-part, unfortunately, there is next to none information on this. Most guides mention like "oh, and yes, it also supports 3G/4G".

Does anyone have info on how good 3G/4G is working with custom firmware, or with which firmwares it is working at all?

Here are the problems I got with the stock-fw:

The router seems instable and requires a power off every few days. A soft restart is not enough. Sometimes, it just loses the 3G-connection or gets a bandwith of only 0,5 Mbit instead of the 6-8 Mbit the 3G should deliver (a power off/on fixes that, so it's not the network), sometimes the whole router seems to freeze with no WLAN/LAN, too. The mentioned FW is the newest which got the 3G-Stick working at all, I tried the latest one but had to downgrade, as it recognized my stick, but did not connect to my 3G-network.

Also, when changing settings at the router, the router wants to restart almost after every single command. It's like "oh, you wanna activate this tiny option or change that value here? Sure, please wait 5 mins until I did a reboot". I can live with that, but it makes my wonder, why everyone tells that this router should be one of the best. Is this better with custom firmwares?

thanks,
Norfolk

I have an RT-N16 and I know somebody having an RT-N66U. In my view the Asus routers are pretty good, unbricking them is a piece of cake (if the CFE is still intact). The first firmware to try would be Asuswrt Merlin, it is an improved stock firmware. Then, you'd have to choose between Tomato Shibby and DD-WRT. Tomato has a reputation of being more stable, DD-WRT is more advanced but more experimental (certainly the most recent builds).

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

n0ble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:19    Post subject: ASUS RT N66U Boot loops when attempting to upgrade to K3.X Reply with quote
Hi All,

I have the following:
RT N66U
Rev B1
Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_0

I am able to get Merlin FW running on the device without an issue, but when attempting to switch to DD-WRT dd-wrt.v24-24461_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U the device goes into a bootloop.

I have tried upgrading both from Merlins web GUI and the recovery page to the same result.

I have also tried on CFE 1.03 and 1.09 and still get the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Lee
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42    Post subject: Re: ASUS RT N66U Boot loops when attempting to upgrade to K3 Reply with quote
n0ble wrote:
Hi All,

I have the following:
RT N66U
Rev B1

I am able to get Merlin FW running on the device without an issue, but when attempting to switch to DD-WRT dd-wrt.v24-24461_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U the device goes into a bootloop.

I have tried upgrading both from Merlins web GUI and the recovery page to the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Lee

Yes try the build before that one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:08    Post subject: Re: ASUS RT N66U Boot loops when attempting to upgrade to K3 Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
n0ble wrote:
Hi All,

I have the following:
RT N66U
Rev B1

Any ideas?

Thanks
Lee

Yes try the build before that one.

Much appreciated, the build before works!
user1024
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 21:29    Post subject: network speed Reply with quote
For some reason I cannot get more than 100MBit out of dd-wrt on RT-N66U, while my provider gives me 120MBit (checked with speedtest.net). Was anyone able to get full speed out of dd-wrt? And what can be the reason? Maybe we should ask BrainSlayer to create a build with -O3 where possible, even if it will take more space?
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 23:20    Post subject: Re: network speed Reply with quote
user1024 wrote:
For some reason I cannot get more than 100MBit out of dd-wrt on RT-N66U, while my provider gives me 120MBit (checked with speedtest.net). Was anyone able to get full speed out of dd-wrt? And what can be the reason? Maybe we should ask BrainSlayer to create a build with -O3 where possible, even if it will take more space?

K3.x builds are much slower than K26 builds. My Asus RT-N16 maxed around 150 Mbps WAN to LAN download speed (with no overclocking). But this was with a Kong build. With Asuswrt Merlin I easily get 180 Mbps (my nominal download speed).

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

GH0
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 22:12    Post subject: Re: BrainSlayer's latest release not working for me Reply with quote
Klappis wrote:
Axel Foley wrote:
Hi,

the latest BrainSlayer's versions (all three 24xxx, K3) are not working for me: after update the router goes into reboot loop, even after clearing NVRAM,resetting etc.

Using recovery mode, I can go back to latest kong's release (24200M) that works perfectly.

Did something important change into BrainSlayer's version in the last 2-3 months? I've tried all thre 24xxx releases and they produce the same problem, while Kong's versions work perfectly.

Never happened before...I've switched often from Kong's to BrainSlayer's without problems.

Thanks.

Same for me. I used the 21676 build which is quite old and i was upgrading to the latest which is the 24461 i think which didn't work. It went into a reboot loop very irritating. How do one really install them correctly without the router flipping out?

On a sidenote. What is the difference between the MEGA and the BIG versions? Which one should i use?

I believe I am experiencing the same issue as you. I thankfully have a serial connection and have submitted a ticket to the SVN.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3593
david.lynch
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's the latest recommended build?

Flashing 18946 mini trx as initial firmware is still needed? (links to it are broken on the wiki).
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can flash any trailed rt-n66u k3.X build for initial flash. Don't use the latest as some have reported issues.
After flashing the first build, telnet into the router, type erase nvram, enter.
Then type reboot, enter.
Then flash Kong's last oldd or newd build.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please, links to them? they are broken on the wiki.

Thank you!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are people still getting 0.0.0.0 WAN IP's? I've tried a dozen firmware versions and it just won't work!

I'm frustrated and hoping for some instructions from someone who has recently flashed their RT-N-66U who can assist me.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nubstar wrote:
Are people still getting 0.0.0.0 WAN IP's? I've tried a dozen firmware versions and it just won't work!

I'm frustrated and hoping for some instructions from someone who has recently flashed their RT-N-66U who can assist me.

Telnet into it and type erase nvram, enter, then type reboot, enter.

I think I've typed that at least a dozen times in this forum.
I wish it would be added to the wiki for the device.

Navigation

Jump to: