Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
r0d0 wrote:
that's not what i asked for,
what do i have to with tihings as tor, transmission, provoxy and svn? i don't see why that would answer my question..

Quote:
if you would like to dig deeper

i would just a normal answer to my question nothing more or less.

we have two different expectations for "normal"
... big is bigger because it has more stuff.

if you care to read on, feel free...

I apologize for going way over your head. So, I'll attempt to explain (with links) but only on the examples I showed you over on the other thread in the configs...
privoxy
TOR
transmission
i.e. that functionality could be build it directly into your DD-WRT build to run on your router, depending on build choice. (that, along with many other things, is what makes big, bigger than mega)

SVN as referenced was an abbreviation for Apache Subversion an open source software versioning and revision control system. I tried showed you how to review the dd-wrt source code to determine the "real" differences between builds yourself.

Given you didn't know those 3 examples, I fear an expanded "normal" answer would also be lost on you. But that isn't bad news... if you don't know what functionality is, you obviously don't need it!

Without going so far as to presume (again) that the OEM stock firmware is going to meet, or exceed your needs. Allow me one question, so that we can better help you...

What are you hoping to accomplish with DD-WRT?

with that answer, someone MIGHT point you toward a build.

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
Sponsor
r0d0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I apologize for going way over your head. So, I'll attempt to explain (with links) but only on the examples I showed you over on the other thread in the configs...
privoxy
TOR
transmission
i.e. that functionality could be build it directly into your DD-WRT build to run on your router, depending on build choice. (that, along with many other things, is what makes big, bigger than mega)

Yes i know what privoxy, tor, and transmission is, but that is not where i am looking for right now.

Quote:
SVN as referenced was an abbreviation for Apache Subversion an open source software versioning and revision control system. I tried showed you how to review the dd-wrt source code to determine the "real" differences between builds yourself.

Yes i know svn to also, but not that good. i'm not that guy that can compiling the code into binary without any easy how to guide..
I know it from some other projects that are also using trac, but as i say before i'm not comfortable on working with it without any guide or some instructions that tells me what commands i need to use.

Quote:
What are you hoping to accomplish with DD-WRT?

nothings special, mainly use it for running vpn connection, together with some shell scripts that will autostart at boot for setting up iptables against any leaks.
and some script for auto reconnection when vpn connect goes down or disconnects.
And some kind of adblocker, don't know yet what kind of i will be going to use, one based on dns or based on the lists from adblock plus.
but the things that are important to me to have running on it.
an 64k version build.
recent version of openssl
openvpn client 2.3 or higher
tls 1.2
working usb function for some optware to try out

all others would be nice, but not necessary needed.
such as privoxy on the router would also be a handy feature, but i don't know how that will impact on the loads, and if that will make any effect for the vpn speed, because the router i have rt-n66u just have around 600mhz

but i love to have one of most advanced builds, with a lot features.
there is no need to use them all, but like to try to play and try things out, and discover new cool things, that i didn't know before.
things like optware and stuff
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
you wrote:
Yes i know what privoxy, tor, and transmission is, but that is not where i am looking for right now.

if that was the case then you must have not thought on it very hard... adding that (and other) functionality is why there is a size difference in MB between BIG and MEGA.

afterall remember the spirit of your original question in all the places you posted it?
r0d0 wrote:
why the big (21,24mb) version is around 3 times larger in size then the mega version that is only 7,61mb?

and HERE, where you asked for a reconciliation to detail the difference in file size.

------------

you wrote:
Yes i know svn to also, but not that good. i'm not that guy that can compiling the code into binary without any easy how to guide..
I know it from some other projects that are also using trac, but as i say before i'm not comfortable on working with it without any guide or some instructions that tells me what commands i need to use.

i never suggested you compile your own binaries. simply showed you how to identify all the differences between BIG and MEGA for yourself... using the configs on the SVN

Had i wanted someone to compile thier own i'd have said things like "Compile your own" "run the makefile".... all i said was "review (the text of) these configs" and "perhaps walkthough (the syntax with your eyes/brain) of the makefile" for a better understanding (perhaps we have a language barrier to work through)

Ultimately if you can compile your own from simple instructions, then my simple instructions on code review should have been easy for you, right?

I've only ever flat out suggested one other DD-WRT forum member should go compile their own (related to DD-WRT firmware anyway), but Fastle was a rude "know it all", arguing, and being a "pedantic ass"... HERE. I believe he deserved it.

------------

you wrote:

nothings special, mainly use it for running vpn connection, together with some shell scripts that will autostart at boot for setting up iptables against any leaks.
and some script for auto reconnection when vpn connect goes down or disconnects.
And some kind of adblocker, don't know yet what kind of i will be going to use, one based on dns or based on the lists from adblock plus.
but the things that are important to me to have running on it.
an 64k version build.
recent version of openssl
openvpn client 2.3 or higher
tls 1.2
working usb function for some optware to try out

all others would be nice, but not necessary needed.
such as privoxy on the router would also be a handy feature, but i don't know how that will impact on the loads, and if that will make any effect for the vpn speed, because the router i have rt-n66u just have around 600mhz

but i love to have one of most advanced builds, with a lot features.
there is no need to use them all, but like to try to play and try things out, and discover new cool things, that i didn't know before.
things like optware and stuff

now i withdraw my you sound like a "stock only" person and fall pack to a previous suggestion:

wrote:
r0d0 wrote:
why the big (21,24mb) version is around 3 times larger in size then the mega version that is only 7,61mb?

after reading:
-forum announcements (including the peacock thread, specifically all notes in BOLD at the top)
-your device wiki here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U
-and all of this thread...

Perhaps you could try them both & see for yourself

Also keep an eye on these types of "new build" threads:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278610
for someone with your device posting a good flash/test result. That is, assuming you don't have serial/jtag capabilities, it is a safe thing to do.

**if you can't sort it out (after reading up) to the point you feel comfortable making a decision, maybe you should stay on stock firmware**

Given you are capable of the more advanced configurations you detailed above, I am (fairly) confident in you abilities to review the configs on SNV to draw your own conclusions...

or flash your device for a "hands-on" experience

Good Luck!

PS.
In a friendly attempt to provide breadcrumbs you can use for further research:

as far as the Hosts file goes for ad blocking, please consider your source... Kong went into more detail here:
http://tips.desipro.de/2011/04/08/dd-wrt-with-integrated-adblocking-using-privoxy/

Optware, on the K3 kernel you might want to read up on the current state of that situation. optware/ipkg/opkg etc. (based on my limited understanding of your device, for various reasons you might need to research, you might find yourself on this device be between "a rock and a hard place".)

Also please pay close attention to your CFE revision, and NVRAM space. (depending on what you may try to flash)

best advice anyone can give is READ UP, good luck!

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
schitthoch2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 17:18    Post subject: Upgrade from desipro version to new driver Reply with quote
Hi
I am sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else but I could not find anything on this topic.

So, I am running on my RT-AC66U the version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/06/14) kongac - build 25015M-SP1. I flashed it about 3 or 4 months ago to that version.

Now I have seen many positive reports on 26138 with the two dev trees having merged.

I would like to upgrade to 26138.

Are there any procedures that have to be followed?

I would like to save settings to file and restore from file afterwards if possible.
madman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you flash it? If yes, how does it work?
schitthoch2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman wrote:
Did you flash it? If yes, how does it work?

Are you asking me? No I haven't flashed it just like that. Too many people using this router rely on a working connection here. I am not that young anymore in order to have enough time to spend another 3 hours debricking just because I felt adventourous for 5 minutes on a friday evening.
I could lower the risk (and therefore try) if someone could provide details on how to proceed in order to migrate from kongs builds to brainslayers. I would be very thankful for that.
TIA
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flash the latest BS, reset it, set it up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Flash the latest BS, reset it, set it up.

Ok, then.
Saved backup to file
Uploaded trx via WebGUI-Upgrade. and chose to reset to defaults.
Went smooth. Rebootet and uploaded backup file. Everything seem to be fine at first glance.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
They say you aren't supposed to use a back up. It defeats the purpose of resetting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:
There is no denying that DD-WRT is much slower than stock firmware. K3.x builds are even slower than K26 builds.

As always, "your mileage may vary".
My own experience is the DD-WRT actually works quite well.

Good (recommended) builds for ASUS RT-N66U:

Last edited by JNavas on Wed Mar 11, 2015 16:40; edited 1 time in total
JNavas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
jheide44 wrote:
wrote:
r0d0 wrote:
HUGE SNIP

In other words, you don't know. Not helpful.
There's clearly an anomaly in the K3X big build. There's no such issue in the K26 build.
Until the anomaly is resolved, I'm avoiding that build.

Good (recommended) builds for ASUS RT-N66U:

merk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope i should be posting in this thread and not starting a new one.

The information posted online regarding this router is a bit confusing.

The router db page says to use v24 sp2 beta build 24461, although clicking on that in the drop down doesn't seem to actually download the file. Below that is a link to dd-wrt.v24-24461_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx

But it says that's just for the initial flashing.

The wiki page for this router says to use
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-04-2015-r26138/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx (or the mega version).

Can someone tell me which builds are considered good/stable for this router? I do know i need to use the initial trx build file and then 'upgrade' from that to whatever the current recommended version is. Just wanted to get some clarification on what the current recommended version is.

Thanks
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you read the stickies and announcements you'll see that you are not to follow the router database.
Follow the wiki instructions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
merk wrote:
Can someone tell me which builds are considered good/stable for this router?

See my post just before yours. Idea

merk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
If you read the stickies and announcements you'll see that you are not to follow the router database.
Follow the wiki instructions.

why does the db point to an incorrect build? Is it no longer being maintained?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 150 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: