Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
merk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
merk wrote:
Malachi wrote:
If you read the stickies and announcements you'll see that you are not to follow the router database.
Follow the wiki instructions.

why does the db point to an incorrect build? Is it no longer being maintained?

Thanks - is there a link i can go to that explains the differences between those versions?

thanks
Sponsor
demi316
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 16:57    Post subject: Question Reply with quote
If I've put this in the wrong forum please let me know where I can throw it.

Situation. I have a recieved a used asus rt-n66u. I have succesfully installed, Tomato-Shibby, Stock, Merlin, and DDwrt 26446 2.6 kernel mini.

However I can't install 3.x mega or big afterwards. I have tried using the .bin file after the initial mini.trx.

I'm at the office so I don't have the router on my person at the moment. I can say that it has cfe version 1.0.0.6 so I can assume that it is a revb1 version.

I've read that with Kernel 3.x I don't have to upgrade the flash, but considering I have the initial release version of the CFE. Do you think a CFE upgrade is needed in order to get kernel 3.x working?

Thanks in advance.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 19:36    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote
demi316 wrote:

Situation. I have a recieved a used asus rt-n66u. I have succesfully installed, Tomato-Shibby, Stock, Merlin, and DDwrt 26446 2.6 kernel mini.

However I can't install 3.x mega or big afterwards. I have tried using the .bin file after the initial mini.trx.

I'm at the office so I don't have the router on my person at the moment. I can say that it has cfe version 1.0.0.6 so I can assume that it is a revb1 version.

I've read that with Kernel 3.x I don't have to upgrade the flash, but considering I have the initial release version of the CFE. Do you think a CFE upgrade is needed in order to get kernel 3.x working?

Thanks in advance.

Flash back to stock. Then forget everything about kernel 2.6 mini, maxi, mega or ginormous.
Use this file ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/03-05-2015-r26446/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-26446_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx.

From here on after only use the file found here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas, Broadcom K_3X folder, second file down.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 19:43    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
demi316 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Flash back to stock. Then forget everything about kernel 2.6 mini, maxi, mega or ginormous.
Use this file ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/03-05-2015-r26446/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-26446_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx.

From here on after only use the file found here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas, Broadcom K_3X folder, second file down.

Will do. Thanks for the information, I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight.
demi316
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 15:10    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote
demi316 wrote:
Malachi wrote:
demi316 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Will do. Thanks for the information, I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight.

Just an update. I gave it a go from stock using both Chrome, and IE. I thought it was a case of my being impatient. But it still didn't work. The last time was an upgrade from stock using IE. I let it sit overnight, but still get nothing.

Basically my router has a steady power led, and all the lights will flash from lan4 to internet" slowly and repeatedly every 10 seconds or so. I know it's not bricked so no panic at least.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the router work with Asus firmware? On it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:

Yeap it works with Stock, Merlin, 2.6mini(ddwrt), and Tomato. If I didn't love ddwrt so much and the fact that kernel 3.x supports ext4. I probably would have formatted my ext hard drive to ext3 and stuck with Tomato by now. I do appreciate your taking the time to respond to my problem.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try an earlier k3x trailed build.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
demi316 wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Yeap it works with Stock, Merlin, 2.6mini(ddwrt), and Tomato. If I didn't love ddwrt so much and the fact that kernel 3.x supports ext4. I probably would have formatted my ext hard drive to ext3 and stuck with Tomato by now. I do appreciate your taking the time to respond to my problem.

Try ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-04-2015-r26138/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx
I put it on a router two weeks ago without incident, and it's been working well since then.

demi316
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
JNavas wrote:
demi316 wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Try ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-04-2015-r26138/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx
I put it on a router two weeks ago without incident, and it's been working well since then.

I'll keep you updated with my progress after I get home tonight.
demi316
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately. I've got a case of no dice going on with 26138 either. I've used both the mini web server, recovery utility, from stock and merlin via browser and no dice.

I actually installed Tomato then jumped to 2.6 mini. I then tried jumping from mini to 3.x big and mega and neither of them were successful with versions 26138 or 26446. I did find out that I can install 26446 k2.6 mini AND big. I just kept using mini for safety.

I can't figure this out for the life of me. I am, of course clearing the nvram with each update and when I do get a working install of ddwrt(using the kernel 2.6 versions), I tell it to reset to factory defaults.

Basically my symptom with any failed install is a steady power led, followed by my lan 1 jack flashing on and off, followed, by lan 1-4 and the internet light flashing on every 5-10 seconds or so.
JNavas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
demi316 wrote:
Unfortunately. I've got a case of no dice going on with 26138 either. I've used both the mini web server, recovery utility, from stock and merlin via browser and no dice.

I actually installed Tomato then jumped to 2.6 mini. I then tried jumping from mini to 3.x big and mega and neither of them were successful with versions 26138 or 26446. I did find out that I can install 26446 k2.6 mini AND big. I just kept using mini for safety.

I can't figure this out for the life of me. I am, of course clearing the nvram with each update and when I do get a working install of ddwrt(using the kernel 2.6 versions), I tell it to reset to factory defaults.

Basically my symptom with any failed install is a steady power led, followed by my lan 1 jack flashing on and off, followed, by lan 1-4 and the internet light flashing on every 5-10 seconds or so.

Do not tell DD-WRT to reset to factory defaults! Use only the hardware reset button!

There's nothing wrong with just using k2.6 mini or big, and using mini if you don't need the additional features in big. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

demi316
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
JNavas wrote:
demi316 wrote:

Do not tell DD-WRT to reset to factory defaults! Use only the hardware reset button!

There's nothing wrong with just using k2.6 mini or big, and using mini if you don't need the additional features in big. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Thanks much...I should have made it clear that I only used that method recently(as in last night). I was prior to, purely using the WPS button and of course the reset button to get it into recovery mode.

I apologize for the confusion. My current setup(on the wndr4500v1) uses an external HD setup as a NAS so kernel 2.6 is out of the question.
JNavas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
demi316 wrote:
JNavas wrote:

I apologize for the confusion. My current setup(on the wndr4500v1) uses an external HD setup as a NAS so kernel 2.6 is out of the question.

Not if you use ext3. What's the big deal?

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem with using the mini is the he is limited to 32k nvram on a dual band router.

Navigation

Jump to: