Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
TimboZero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good day all,

I am a new user of DD-WRT and have just bought a new Asus RT-N66U router. I wish to use it with a VPN service but I can ask more on that at a later date.

I have been reading up diligently and just want to post what I believe to be my correct course of action to put my first DD-WRT firmware onto a brand new stock Asus RT-N66U

1)plug PC directly into lan port 1 of the router with the pc set to static 192.168.1.12 ip and 192.168.1.1 gateway.

2) boot the router up, browse 192.168.1.1 with web browser and skip inital setup

3) go to the asus web gui update flash page and browse for my flash file

use this firmware

http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2016/01-19-2016-r28882/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-28882_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

4) let the web gui flash the file and the router automatically reboot.

5) power the router off, restart it and browse 192.168.1.1 and the dd-wrt should be there for me

Have I got this correct please or if not what have i listed wrong.

Many Thanks

Timbo
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
After it boots up select reset to factory defaults in the web gui.
Or while its rebooting hold the wps button in till the power light flashes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:

Thanks for the reply and confirmation.

Sorry to ask but is that when I reboot it before flashing, when I reboot it after the flash or both ?

The link I included was the right build for me ?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
After you flash. Yes that's the right one for your router, as to whether it's a good one, I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did you make out? I'm considering making the plunge myself.

TimboZero wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Thanks for the reply and confirmation.

Sorry to ask but is that when I reboot it before flashing, when I reboot it after the flash or both ?

The link I included was the right build for me ?
testerp1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r29059 big (02/09/16) n66u rev ​​b1
25-35 users, half by half by the local network and wifi, enabled qos, dynamic wan. From time to time for several minutes disappears internet different users (no more than 5 user), others works whithout problems. I can ping and enter 192.168.1.1. Internet disappears both wifi and the LAN users. I got same exact n66u with no problem. I'll try to enable logs, hope anything should become clearer. Maybe the problem occurs when many users ... I wrote in this post more than year ago about the memory leak, it was obvious under load of 20 users, but under ordinary number of users 1-3 - no problem (now fixed).
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
testerp1 wrote:
From time to time for several minutes disappears internet different users (no more than 5 user), others works whithout problems. I can ping and enter 192.168.1.1. Internet disappears both wifi and the LAN users. I got same exact n66u with no problem. I'll try to enable logs, hope anything should become clearer.
I had this issue on my WNDR4500v2 (same SoC) that was fixed when I reset after 26138 then upgrading w/o a reset. Airtime Fairness (nvram show|grep atf) was enabled after 26138.

Anyway, ATF was disabled in the 29048 build, but required a reset (or manually disabling them). So, have you done a reset lately? I've not tried DD on my N66U though; I've had zero issues (over a month now) running my N66U w/ Merlin's AsusWRT.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
testerp1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
testerp1 wrote:
From time to time for several minutes disappears internet different users (no more than 5 user), others works whithout problems. I can ping and enter 192.168.1.1. Internet disappears both wifi and the LAN users. I got same exact n66u with no problem. I'll try to enable logs, hope anything should become clearer.
I had this issue on my WNDR4500v2 (same SoC) that was fixed when I reset after 26138 then upgrading w/o a reset. Airtime Fairness (nvram show|grep atf) was enabled after 26138.

Anyway, ATF was disabled in the 29048 build, but required a reset (or manually disabling them). So, have you done a reset lately? I've not tried DD on my N66U though; I've had zero issues (over a month now) running my N66U w/ Merlin's AsusWRT.

Thank for your reply!!! I just now read about ATF, the description is very similar to my problem. To the router I get only next week and check, but most likely this is exactly what I need. I looked at the first router and its not enabled ATF (probably first was an old firmware without ATF). The second n66u fisrt firmware was date August 2015, I did not reset, i dont know about ATF settings so don't change them to disable. Lots of thanks!!!

Suggestion for moderators: maybe should make some warning massage in this topic or in general "Broadcom SoC based Hardware" about this issue or just delete ATF from firmware until its work properly.
TreeMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an Asus RT-N66U router and haven't upgraded the firmware on it in about three years, because it has been VERY reliable. I am thinking about upgrading DD-WRT to release r29147 (specifically dd-wrt.v24-29147_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx) but before I do I would like to ask whether anyone else has upgraded to that version and has been running it for at least a few days, and if so, have you experienced any performance issues (such as having to reboot all the time to keep it working)?

Or if you have recently updated to r29134 I would be interested in hearing from you also (same questions), but please specify which version you installed. I'd just like to hear some report that one of these versions is rock solid before I go ahead and try to do this.
worms
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I just flashed Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r29134 mega
And I'm think that maybe I flashed a non stable version because i read only last 3 pages.

What is the most stable version?!?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Just flashed last 29308.
N0URE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 22:21    Post subject: URT-N66U upgrade ? Reply with quote
I am considering upgrading from 27506 to 29134. I will try to start using NAS. Have ya-all had good/bad with 29135? Should I jump to 29308?

JC
coarser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:09    Post subject: N66U problems Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I inherited an Asus N66R (Best Buy retail version of the N66U) earlier this year which was constantly crashing due to what I believe are NVRAM issues (although it had the 1.0.1.3) or problems with the original firmware. I loaded up a version of DDWRT around January and it was rock solid up until two weeks ago at which point it began to crash repeatedly.

Since then I've been on a hunt to find a fix for this router I've read that the power adapter wasn't up to the task of supporting it so I picked up a http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Rt-ac66u-Rt-ac66r-Rt-ac66w-Asus-Router-Power-Supply/dp/B00EMO9R5E which powers my old N56U well enough (as do the old N56U and N66R/U adapters I have on hand which are identical) but the N66R/U continues to crash after an hour or so.

I managed to load a Merlin firmware onto the router and updated its CFE to 1.0.1.9US using http://www.snbforums.com/threads/cfe-bootloader-update.8259/ as a guide but that hasn't helped with the crashing issues.

Loading a new version of DDWRT with nvram cleared can sometimes keep the router up for a full 24-48 hours but inevitably it will crash. Some extended reading lead me to reading up on the wireless drivers possibly causing issues (SDK5 vs SDK6) so I loaded up a copy of http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/threads/fork-update-for-374-43-available-v17e8-v18b1.18914/ John's SDK5 Merlin build which miraculously doesn't fully crash the router but the physical LAN port lights drop out and I lose connectivity on ethernet connected machines.

The room is air conditioned and it has plenty of airflow around it, the only major recent change I can think of is playing Blizzard's new Overwatch which could be causing the crashing since I notice it while playing. Could the game be causing the issue (no other mutliplayer game does).

I'm at a loss and the last few attempts I'll try to fix it with are probably destructive (soldering on new capacitors). Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
kabadisha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:13    Post subject: RE: N66U Problems Reply with quote
Hey Coarser,

That is odd. The things I would check are as follows:

- Check the rating of power supply stated on the bottom of the router (mine says 19V 1.58A). Then try a power supply rated for higher amps. I would use at least a 2A supply.
    - Flash a stable release of Merlin or even stock firmware and do a full factory reset when you do. I know it's a pain, but worth it in this case.
    - Try it with that firmware both on the new power supply and the old.
    - Turn on and configure as few features as possible to start with. For example, I've known QOS to cause reboots after some time.
    - If that stabilises it then enable features gradually until it becomes unstable and you can zero in on the problem

I am always suspicious of power supplies from Amazon and Fleabay - they are often cheaply made and don't deliver on the ratings specified.
FYI many old laptop supplies deliver around 19v with loads of current, so maybe look for a sacrificial offering that you can splice the right connector to (just make sure you get the polarity right!).
In my experience, as long as the voltage is within a volt or two of the rated voltage, you should be fine. You can use a supply rated for any number of amps (above the rated value) as the router will only draw as much as it needs.

I doubt it is a physical issue with the board like a blown cap as it most likely simply wouldn't work at all if that were the case.

Other possibility is that it is full of dust and so getting hot. Crack it open and check - also check that the heat sink is still seated firmly and not wobbling about.
FYI, the merlin firmware shows the temp of the CPU, so that might be worth a look.
coarser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey kabadisha,

I should have mentioned in the post that I tried it with the original power adapters I have (both the N66U/R and an N56U adapter which have the same specs) and the amazon adapter I linked above, none of them help with the crashing.

Stock ASUS firmware and Merlin are also a no go, they crash anywhere from 5 minutes after restart to an hour.

I did open it up and it was pretty clean inside, not much in the way of dust and the heatsink seems to be on there solidly.

I never enable QoS on the firmwares, I only ever set up wireless SSIDs and a WPA2-PSK key. It's all very strange and I'm left scratching my head over it.

Thanks for your insights Very Happy
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 0:27    Post subject: Re: N66U problems Reply with quote
coarser wrote:
Loading a new version of DDWRT with nvram cleared can sometimes keep the router up for a full 24-48 hours but inevitably it will crash.
My bro-in-law was about to (literally) trash his N66U last winter for the same reaons...I told him to give it to me. I also updated the CFE, and put Merlin on it; then overclocked it. Benn running a-ok ever since; ~6 months now. Meanwhile, back at the ranch...my bro-in-law still had issues with his new Ubiquity setup. After various Comcast issues, he changed providers, and suddenly his network issues went away. So, just a thought that it may not be a router issue. But when I -have- had router issues...
coarser wrote:
I'm at a loss and the last few attempts I'll try to fix it with are probably destructive (soldering on new capacitors).
...that was the most constructive part. Do you have an ESR meter? Smile
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 157 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: