Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
coarser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey jwh7,

That does sound similar to my case, but out of the blue it just started going nuts on me. My ISP hasn't made any firmware updates to my cable modem since December 2015 but, then again, they could be sending malformed packets down the pipe and I wouldn't know how to figure that out but my Asus N56U seems to be holding up fine.

I could probably borrow an ESR meter, anything to look for in particular?
Sponsor
Thireus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your WAN doesn't work on your ASUS RT-N66U:

Code:
nvram set vlan2ports="0 8"
nvram commit
reboot

For some reasons the "nvram get vlan2ports" returned "0" for me on a fresh install with cleaned NVRAM, I fixed it with the above commands and my WAN port is working now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have just recently installed DD-WRT on my Asus RT-AC66U and I was looking to secure it and add some additional features. Attempting to do so has caused me to run into several issues.

Upon installing any of the newer betas I am not able to use ipkg. It fails to update with no error messages at all. So after trying several versions, I saw a post recomending an older version I now have installed, 26339.

I had seen the posts for Optware the Right Way and OTRW2, however both of these projects seem discontinued and all links are dead. I had specifically wanted to secure my router and saw all of the work and thought that would be the way to go, now I am not sure what to do to best secure my router as some scipts, like asiablock, spamhammer, and others were all lost when the links died.

Additionally, several programs from optware seem to require FPU emulation, and I think that is now disabled by default. Do I want / need FPU emulation? Is it now disabled for a reason?

Any help or guidance would be most appreciated.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
@lordveovis This is the N66U thread; you want the AC66U thread.
coarser wrote:
I could probably borrow an ESR meter, anything to look for in particular?
Probably worth a call to the ISP first to have them run some tests on your line...

As for caps, I just check the (bigger) voltage regulator caps, but if I find they're bad, I'll check the smaller ones too, if any. You have to remove the PCB for access, and look for high ESR; like ~>0.1-0.2 for a 16-25v 110-440uF (or a capacitance off by >25% but that's a less reliable indicator). Power supply caps don't need a low ESR vs motherboard CPU power stage caps.

A low ESR does not necessarily mean its good though (nor a tolerant farad reading); it could be in parallel with another good cap, or a resistor, etc. You'd have to remove it to confirm. However, a high ESR does mean its bad. ESR meters are not very common though. Also unfortunately, none of the bad router caps I've replaced had visible degradation.

That said, I'd be more skeptical of bad caps on newer routers; even my WRT54GSv6 was fine; but pretty much -all- the older ones I have (and have had) needed replacements.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
454Casull
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a stable build for the RT-N66U that has decent WiFi and a working implementation of fq_codel-based QoS?

I flashed OpenWRT CC, turned on QoS with all the fixings, and was able to bring my dslreports bufferbloat rating from a consistent F to an consistent A or A+... the only problem is, OpenWRT doesn't have working WiFi on this router.

Thanks in advance.
454Casull
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
454Casull wrote:
Is there a stable build for the RT-N66U that has decent WiFi and a working implementation of fq_codel-based QoS?

I flashed OpenWRT CC, turned on QoS with all the fixings, and was able to bring my dslreports bufferbloat rating from a consistent F to an consistent A or A+... the only problem is, OpenWRT doesn't have working WiFi on this router.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried the latest?

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/07-01-2016-r30082/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-30082_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
454Casull wrote:

Thanks in advance.

what qos settings did u try with ddwrt? & whats the upload speed on ur internet plan?

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

rdb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello everyone. First of all: congrats to the developers Very Happy I believe it's my first post here despite having a forum account for so long Shocked

Last Saturday I got a used Asus RT-N66U to replace my TP-Link 1043ND that has been running OpenWRT for quite looonnnng.

I had a look at the wiki and did some googling and felt confident that it would be as easy as "firmware upgrade" with dd-wrt.v24-30082_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx and all went well (anyway, yesterday I spend several hours reading all those 150 pages of this topic!).

My setup: the RT-N66U is behind a DSL connection provided by the telco router (in fact I’m doing a double NAT since the telco router provides me with a LAN connection), so the ASUS WAN has a static IP address pointing to the telco router, and behind the Asus I have a bunch of wireless devices, powerlines, and IPTV box, etc for my private LAN. The RT-N66U is running OpenVPN server and doing some port forwarding (has been doing some IPv6 over he.net but I disabled it for the moment) and all went well. No QOS for now and for the rest just the DHCP server with a bunch of static addresses and nothing fancier.

And now, some comments and some questions Wink

1) On the place where the RT-NJ66U sits now, I had my Tp-Link 1043 running WDS and supporting a small remote lan (bridging) via another TP-Link 841, that as far as I understand that uses some proprietary Atheros feature. Is it possible to make the Tp-Lin 841 work with the RT-N66U? (for the time being, I'm still running the TP-Link 1043 just for the old WDS)

2) Before doing the upgrade to DD-WRT I did a small test with my mobile phone copying a file to a wired NAS and was able to achieve 5 MBytes/s of transfer rate, but with DD-WRT it dropped to 1 or 2 Mbytes/s. I’m not sure if any of the early test were on 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz because before both with the stock and the DD-WRT the 2.4 ghz and the 5 ghz were running on the same SSID and I didn’t bother look, so I start trouble shooting DD-WRT (all those test were done 2 rooms away, less than 10 meters apart).
After changing the 5Ghz SSID to a different and manually connecting the mobile phone it things improved a bit, and after reading all those pages looking for solutions I tried changing mixed to N-Only, to 40Mhz on different channels and managed to get 3 Mbytes (closer to the stock firmware)
I read some comments that default parameters from the stock firmware might be different from the default of the DD-WRT (for instance transmit power 80 vs 71) so I tried fiddling around with the DD-WRT menus but the signal strength on the mobile phone looked like it was the same (I tried 80 and 100 mw). There was a comment somewhere that the drivers weren’t able to change the power of the chipset so the setting would be useless. Can anyone comment on that?
I also change frame burst and some ACK setting and thing seemed to improve to somewhere 4 to 5Mbytes. Anyway, not as steady as the stock performance but enough to leave it for now. Any suggestions on how to further troubleshoot the performance?

3) “Hardware-NAT” – As far as I understood, both Asus and Merlins build have a “native” hardware NAT that improves the internet performance by doing NAT on the hardware, something that isn’t available on DD-WRT. But even the stock and Merlins firmware it will be disable if one uses QOS. I wasn’t sure if that applies only to the LAN+WIRELESS => WAN, or also on the WIRELESS => LAN. Can anyone comment?

best regards,
Wildwild
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

I just got a used Asus RT-N66U version B1 and I have been trying to update it to the dd-wrt.v24-30082_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx firmware through the Web GUI with no success and the router could not get to the DD-WRT screen.

I have tried all the suggestions in the Wiki below Sad

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=Asus_RT-N66U#Installation_Instructions

I could flash the latest Merlin firmware but could not update it to DD-WRT firmware without bricking it Sad

How long should I wait before manually rebooting it? Is 20 mins long enough?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
What CFE version do you have?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=163479

ps. You should ask your question making a new topic.
Wildwild
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assumed it has the latest CFE version.

I will start a new topic now..
-DELETED_Klappis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's the best latest version you could recommend?
Wildwild
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used CFE 1.0.1.9 and it solved all my issues Smile
AllonZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 18:38    Post subject: Has anyone tried builds newer than 30082? Reply with quote
-
Has anyone tried builds newer than 30082 and found them to run successfully?

Just wondering if I should start with 30082, that others have stated worked successfully for them, or try something newer like 30432.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 158 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: