Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 160, 161, 162 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get CFE 1.0.1.9
Sponsor
la3y
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
CFE is now updated,
strings /dev/mtd0ro | grep bl_ver
bl_version=1.0.1.9

Need change MAC address after CFE upgrade?

I'm try to flash last beta dd-wrt, and again have the same problems(
Wan is not up but led is work (dhcp from RT-AC88U), telnet not work, wifi 5GHz is not work arter my settings

My install method:
1) Clear nvram from CFE
2) Flash via ASUS recovery utility fist asuswrt firmware RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376_2524-g0013f52
3) Clear nvram from CFE
4) Flash via asuswrt GUI dd-wrt firmware dd-wrt.v24-31722_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U
5) Restore defaults from dd-wrt gui
6) Then i'm try to configure my settings

Have any idea whats wrong, why dd-wrt is don't work correctly in my router?

i'm found the solution
1) Clear nvram from CFE
2) Flash dd-wrt from CFE
Wan connection is up, some problems with speed 100 Mb/s, from provider i'm have 250 mb/s, wi-fi 2.4GHz and 5GHz is 50 mb/s download 100 mb/s upload, after change Regulatory Domain settings 5GHz is down

ASUS RT-N66U - SOLD
ASUS RT-AC88U - SOLD
samsmith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have read the thread and site extensively and think that the ASUS 66u router would work best for me. I want to then flash dd-wrt. According to the site - it seems like this is the order of things to do?

Principle steps
1. Clear settings (Clear NVRAM) select Factory Default settings
2. Install the INITIAL ASUS RT-N66U version of DD-WRT (file name ends in .trx) using either the Web GUI method or the Recover Utility method. Both methods are described below
3. Clear settings (Clear NVRAM) select Factory Default settings
4. "Upgrade" to your final version of DD-WRT (filename ends in .bin) using Web GUI or Recovery Utility
5. Clear settings (Clear NVRAM) select Factory Default settings
Note: is IMPORTANT to clear NVRAM (to select Factory Default settings) BEFORE and AFTER upload of any new firmware.

I believe the INITIAL ASUS RT-N66U version of DD-WRT (file name ends in .trx) version that I want is "dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx" Correct? That's the big file not the mega file? What is the final version that I want (step 4)? Also there seems to be some issue that I need to first change the firmware on the ASUS out of the box? What do I change it to? DO I change it to ASUS Merlin? Also would original ASUS firmware support client VPN.

Sorry - if these questions sound basic - but I have read the site / threads peacock in great detail. Also not wed to ASUS 66U modem - if there is an easier one to flash to dd-wrt with clear instructions?
thanks
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just flash this from the asus GUI dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx.
It's the one I've used.
If you want to try newer they would be found here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/ in the Broadcom K3X folder.
If after flashing you can't get a LAN connection you can telnet into it wirelessly and issue an erase nvram command or hold the wps button in for 15 seconds while applying power to the router.

These routers also have an infamous power switch defect. Avoid toggling it. I just pull the plug.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 19:00    Post subject: 2.4 unstable Reply with quote
Using 30471 for months, very stable (only had 5ghz devices). Then my gf got a Huawei Honor 5X, it only support 2.4 (WTF?) and problem starts. Couple times a week the phone wifi grinds to halt. Router reboot required to restore speed. RX Rate on router get "stuck" at 1M when it happends.
Tried downgrading to recommended version 26138, still got the problem. Maybe I will downgrade further or maybe test K2.6 builds...

Seems impossible to create a stable dual band router...
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:53    Post subject: FINALLY managed to get RT-66U flashed and working. Reply with quote
I have been working with an Asus RT-66U (version B1), and it was infuriating to flash due to all of the conflicting instructions on the Web (and from Asus, too). After I spent DAYS on this, here is my advice on how to get it going.

1. Before doing anything else, boot while holding in the WPS button to reset to defaults. The power light will flicker FAST until you release the button, then all the lights will flash and the router will reboot with the NVRAM cleared.

2. Use one of the "K3.x" versions of DD-WRT (dd-wrt.v24-XXXXX_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx). The router has tons of flash and RAM, so size isn't a problem, and folks have had trouble with older Linux kernels. I used http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2016/09-29-2016-r30709/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-30709_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx, because we'd found 30709 to be a particularly good build for Broadcom chipsets. Depending upon when you read this, there may be newer builds that are better.

3. Here is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW: This router "plays possum" when it flashes itself, and takes a long time to write its flash -- especially from the CFE "mini" Web server. And during that time, it doesn't respond to pings, flash its lights, or show any signs of life at all. So, EXPECT IT TO GO CATATONIC FOR 30 MINUTES TO ONE HOUR after you've uploaded the DD-WRT firmware. Most of the problems folks have with these routers, it seems, are due to turning them off before this incredibly long process has completed.

4. Load the router with stock firmware version RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376_2524-g0013f52 first if it doesn't already have it (mine did). Then, try flashing DD-WRT from the Asus Web GUI. I did this, but when the router seemed to go dead, I made the mistake of cycling power. At that point, it would not reboot properly and I thought it was bricked. THIS WAS TOTALLY MY OWN FAULT. I should have just let it finish, but didn't expect it to take that long.

5. The Asus "recovery" utility for Windows never worked for me. In fact, it never was able to discover the router. Perhaps the software (which is old) was just buggy; perhaps it didn't like my firewall settings or the configuration of my Ethernet interface. But I was able to get into the built-in CFE "mini" Web interface at 192.168.1.1 by booting with the "reset" (not WPS) button held down. (That's the one with the strange symbol that looks like >o< below it.) The router may also fall into the CFE "mini" Web interface if it can't validate its flash, but it's not a sure thing. In any case, You can tell that the CFE Web interface has been activated when the power light flashes slowly -- 1/2 second on, 1/2 second off.

6. As mentioned above, it's best to clear the configuration NVRAM first -- either by holding the WPS button down during a boot or via the interface -- before uploading firmware via the CFE "mini" Web interface. Then, select your firmware and upload. If you do it right, it will give you a byte count and say to wait "a moment" (Hah!) before it reboots with the new firmware. Set your computer to keep pinging the router (At the Windows command prompt, use "ping -n 3600 192.168.1.1" to ping for at least an hour) so that you can watch for the router to come back to life. Then, go get a drink. Or get lunch. Or read a book. Do anything BUT disconnect or reboot the router. After the flash, you may or may not have to clear NVRAM again using the WPS button. I found that I didn't. It was quite a relief to see the router come back to life after I thought I'd bricked it.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use only build labeled like this big-RT-N66U.trx.
Don't use any mega. If your router has been flashed to a later stock or rmerlin firmware you are prevented from flashing third party firmware until you flash back to an older firmware using the cfe mini web server or the restoration utility, which doesn't have bugs because it's old. I've used it plenty of times and it works if done correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Use only build labeled like this big-RT-N66U.trx.
Don't use any mega.

Why not?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because in this case you should use the build for the rt-n66u.
How big is the file specifically for the rt-n66u? 22.5 MB.
The mega build? 7.94 MB.
Why use the mega build?
It's unnecessarily confusing. It could cause to bricking if the wrong file is used.
Just use the k3.x build labeled for the rt-n66u.
Not the k2.6.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have 250/50 internet connection, however when going through the asus RT66U (1gbit cable) the connection speed drops to 120-130/50 (Speedtest.net). If I connect directly to my cable modem I get 250/50.

I originally had the following firmware:
dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx

Then tried the newest beta:
dd-wrt.v24-31924_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx

It did not help.. I tried all cables used from my PC to cable modem, both works fine.. I have eliminated all but the Asus RT66U.

What could be the issue? Sad
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
The processor in that router cannot handle more speed.You have to get a faster router.
Terr1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess the problem is no HW acceleration support with DD WRT. I get max speed with asus stock firmware..

Which router is recommended to handle at least 500mbit with full dd wrt support?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
R7000: 400 Mbit/s
R7500: 800 Mbit/s
ripmaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the asus rt-n66u router and it has the latest asus 3.0.0.4.380_7378 firmware.My question is do I need to install an older version of dd wrt via recovery tool and then flash a newer version or am I ok to flash latest version via utility
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
ripmaster wrote:
I have the asus rt-n66u router and it has the latest asus 3.0.0.4.380_7378 firmware.My question is do I need to install an older version of dd wrt via recovery tool and then flash a newer version or am I ok to flash latest version via utility

You should be able to flash from the latest to the latest using the cfe mini webserver.
You could use the recovery tool or cfe webserver to install an older pre-lockdown asus or RMerlin then just flash dd-wrt using the GUI.
Only use the rtn66u 3kx build.

Navigation

Jump to: