Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
GH0
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
So is anyone running Ext2/3 USB Drives off of this router?
Sponsor
petertfm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just browsing a link here:
http://www.techinfodepot.info/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U_vB1

there is a mention of:
nvram Size = 32kb (victek reports firmware w/60kb)

EDIT:
also this link shows victek mentioning the rt-n16
running a 60k nvram?
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asus-rt-n66u-issues.37123/

and this post sugests a person using the 60k version on the 66u:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/toastman-rt-n-tomato-firmware-on-asus-rt-n66u-dark-knight-dual-band-wireless-n900-gigabit-router.36959/#post-180603
kt_haddock
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
DO NOT FLASH 60K NVRAM VERSIONS ON TO ROUTERS OTHER THAN THOSE WHICH THEY ARE INTENDED FOR.
THEY WILL SHOW 60K IN THE DISPLAY BUT YOU WILL BRICK THE ROUTER IF YOU TRY TO ACTUALLY USE MORE THAN 32K.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 18:22    Post subject: wireless bridge question Reply with quote
can you connect multiple n66u's with one acting as the AP and the other as a wireless bridge.....with them connected through 5GHz?

If so, how? Anyone know if that can be done with their out of the box firmware?
bccbryan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
GH0 wrote:
So is anyone running Ext2/3 USB Drives off of this router?

I tried, but it didn't recognize the usb drive I connected. Tried ext3 and fat32 partitions.
Überkinger
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
has anyone two N66U configured as wirless bridge and have done speedtests?

at moment i use two e4200 in wireless bridge config. i have ~290-310mbit real transferates over 5Ghz-band (ch157). Can two N66U top this rates?
petertfm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still think there is a way to configure dd-wrt to create a 128KB jffs2 partition, and then reference that instead of nvram?

we would lose the ability to press reset button to reset as far as the cfe is concerned but we still have the ability if something goes wrong to reflash via rescue console built into the cfe. reset button in dd-wrt could reset the new 128KB partition instead.

does that seem fee-sable?
furlonghokie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:23    Post subject: need of serious help Reply with quote
i probably bricked the router, but since i've never done that before i'm hoping that's not the case.

I own 2 n66u's. One with the stock FW. The 2nd one - well that's what I need help with.

My desktop is an iMac running OSX 10.6.8

I want to make the 2nd n66u a wireless bridge. Well...here goes. I downloaded the appropriate dd-wrt versions by following the instructions via the router database. The initial flash went off without a hitch but something went wrong in the big flash. I have tried everything I know how to do to try to get back to the stock asus FW but nothing i'm doing seems to work.

If anyone can guide me down the correct path I'd be most appreciative.
bccbryan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 14:10    Post subject: Re: need of serious help Reply with quote
furlonghokie wrote:
i probably bricked the router, but since i've never done that before i'm hoping that's not the case.

I own 2 n66u's. One with the stock FW. The 2nd one - well that's what I need help with.

My desktop is an iMac running OSX 10.6.8

I want to make the 2nd n66u a wireless bridge. Well...here goes. I downloaded the appropriate dd-wrt versions by following the instructions via the router database. The initial flash went off without a hitch but something went wrong in the big flash. I have tried everything I know how to do to try to get back to the stock asus FW but nothing i'm doing seems to work.

If anyone can guide me down the correct path I'd be most appreciative.

Put router into recovery. Go to 192.168.1.1. Click clear nvram. When that is complete change the URL from nvram+erase to nvram+commit. Then reboot. It should now boot into dd-wrt
htowngtr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an e4200 and I'm ditching it for this router. I was debating between it and the netgear 4500, but I like the external antennas because I always have issues with transmit range in my house. The E4200 also had a ton of dropouts and network issues lately for me so I'm hoping this solves that problem.

I don't really do any openVPN stuff, but I just want something that will be easy to configure (UPnP, port forward, wireless setup, etc.) and have great throughput with great range. Did I make the right choice? I have had the best success with Broadcom based routers so that's why I went with it as well.
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
htowngtr wrote:
I have an e4200 and I'm ditching it for this router. I was debating between it and the netgear 4500, but I like the external antennas because I always have issues with transmit range in my house. The E4200 also had a ton of dropouts and network issues lately for me so I'm hoping this solves that problem.

I don't really do any openVPN stuff, but I just want something that will be easy to configure (UPnP, port forward, wireless setup, etc.) and have great throughput with great range. Did I make the right choice? I have had the best success with Broadcom based routers so that's why I went with it as well.

I wanted to post an update since I have been using this router for about 3 weeks or so with 18946 firmware on it.

Range: -30 @ 55ft on 2.4ghz 40MHZ
Throughput: 24mb/s Sustained on 1gb file xfer to SSD Nas
Ram: Never Runs out
CPU: Load never goes about .07
Interference Mode: Works
Afterburner: Works
USB: Works with some tinkering

Now, for the bad side: we all know about asus's 32k nvram problem. I run BIG build on this device at most times I have less that 4k available.
In the last 3 weeks I have had to power cycle the router twice because it was dropping packets on the wired and wireless side, a power cycle was able to fix it.

The Show Stopper:
I compiled and flashed 19105 firmware to it last night. The Router took it, all was well.. HOWEVER a nvram erase does nothing from user space.. I flashed and reset to defaults and it did nothing, it kept all my original settings. Only way to get a good flash with fresh nvram is to break into the CFE every time you flash a new build.

I believe this may have to do with some write protection once partition is mounted that some parts cannot be erased. Again only erasing from the CFE guarantee's you a fresh and clean flash/upgrade.

My Overall Rating:

Ability to flash dd-wrt: D-
Link Speed + Range : B+
Throughput: A-
Nvram Space Allocation: F
Stability: C-
2.4ghz overall: C+
5.0ghz overall: C+

I compare these to my E4200 V.1.0 with same settings network ect.

-Fractal
htowngtr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
htowngtr wrote:

I wanted to post an update since I have been using this router for about 3 weeks or so with 18946 firmware on it.

Range: -30 @ 55ft on 2.4ghz 40MHZ
Throughput: 24mb/s Sustained on 1gb file xfer to SSD Nas
Ram: Never Runs out
CPU: Load never goes about .07
Interference Mode: Works
Afterburner: Works
USB: Works with some tinkering

Now, for the bad side: we all know about asus's 32k nvram problem. I run BIG build on this device at most times I have less that 4k available.
In the last 3 weeks I have had to power cycle the router twice because it was dropping packets on the wired and wireless side, a power cycle was able to fix it.

The Show Stopper:
I compiled and flashed 19105 firmware to it last night. The Router took it, all was well.. HOWEVER a nvram erase does nothing from user space.. I flashed and reset to defaults and it did nothing, it kept all my original settings. Only way to get a good flash with fresh nvram is to break into the CFE every time you flash a new build.

I believe this may have to do with some write protection once partition is mounted that some parts cannot be erased. Again only erasing from the CFE guarantee's you a fresh and clean flash/upgrade.

My Overall Rating:

Ability to flash dd-wrt: D-
Link Speed + Range : B+
Throughput: A-
Nvram Space Allocation: F
Stability: C-
2.4ghz overall: C+
5.0ghz overall: C+

I compare these to my E4200 V.1.0 with same settings network ect.

-Fractal

So you like the e4200 better? Do you think the Netgear would be the more likely choice?
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well,

TBH I have never had to reset or power cycle my E4200, and it was a easy upgrade to dd-wrt and always easy to flash upgrade to newer builds... usb works, and the device has 60k nvram.

Also if you wanna save some bucks, maybe a E1550, it has 64mb ram/usb/ and is about half the price.

-Fractal
htowngtr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
Well,

TBH I have never had to reset or power cycle my E4200, and it was a easy upgrade to dd-wrt and always easy to flash upgrade to newer builds... usb works, and the device has 60k nvram.

Also if you wanna save some bucks, maybe a E1550, it has 64mb ram/usb/ and is about half the price.

-Fractal

I've had to reset my e4200 a few times and my port forwarding has been hectic at best. Check your PM's, btw.
infecticide
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure if I caught this further up in the thread or not.

Will work continue on this to work around some of the issues?

Could the fine folks at DDWRT create a bootloader and flash that uses all 128Kb with the explicit warning that you can NOT go back to stock after doing the flash?

Thanks for the info.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 27 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: