Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
furlonghokie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
RabidMonkey wrote:
Are you sure you want a bridge and not something else? I don't even why you would want a wired bridge, it'd basically just be a switch. Maybe you want an access point which still really would make no sense wiring them together.

Anyway, if you are sure a bridge is what you want... In stock firmware just go to the Wireless menu and the Bridge tab. Put in the MAC address of the router you want to use as a bridge then connect to the bridge and put in the MAC of the router.

here is my setup. home office on first floor is where my primary n66u is (AP). I frequently stream music to outdoor speakers on my patio and in order to stream well i need to have a solid wifi connection. When on the patio I don't get a very strong connection so i'm considering connecting a 2nd n66u to the first to extend the wireless signal. I could connect the two wirelessly or wired. Can I do either of these with stock FW?

Or - should I just install dd-wrt on my primary AP and boost the antenna strength to see if that makes a difference?
Sponsor
alternety
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the picture a little earlier of the Rev 3.2 board: I assume that the wires to the antenna connectors are a miniature coaxial cable. If so, that 90 degree bend in the cable to the center antenna may not be a good thing. It can generate an impedance "bump" which can degrade the radio operation.
keeganjacobson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I made my own personal guide on what I did to get DD-WRT loaded onto the Asus RT-N66U. I ran into a few other items that I didn't see in this thread, and I had to read a good portion of these 40 pages to come up with this so I hope this helps some others that are looking to do the same thing.

* Assign yourself a static IP on the same subnet such as 192.168.1.8 so that you can communicate with the device without DHCP.

* Start off by doing a 30/30/30 - the WPS button seems to function in regards to a reset button, but the button near the WAN port is the true reset button.

* Boot into the recovery mode by holding the reset button while you are booting up, you may need to continue to hold it while you are trying to access the recovery menu. You can initiate a reboot from within the recovery menu that will allow you to use the recovery mode without holding the button.

* Initiate an NVRAM erase and continue, and take the URL and append "commit" onto it so it appears as http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit and then press enter. Once you continue forward with this, issue a reboot. This is how you will perform a full NVRAM reset.

* Boot back into the recovery menu to where you don't have to hold the recovery button again, and if initially flashing you will need to select dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx.

* Once that finishes flashing, you will need to let the router sit for at least 15 minutes.

* After it has sat for 15 minutes, you won't be able to get to the web interface, this is normal. You will need to perform the NVRAM erase/commit/reboot again as stated previously.

* After that reboot, you will be prompted at the DD-WRT setup screen when you browse to it.

* If you would like to upgrade to the big build, you will need to perform this again save for using the big build instead of mini.
furlonghokie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
can you please explain how to perform the following tasks:

keeganjacobson wrote:
* Boot into the recovery mode by holding the reset button while you are booting up, you may need to continue to hold it while you are trying to access the recovery menu. You can initiate a reboot from within the recovery menu that will allow you to use the recovery mode without holding the button.

* Initiate an NVRAM erase and continue, and take the URL and append "commit" onto it so it appears as http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit and then press enter. Once you continue forward with this, issue a reboot. This is how you will perform a full NVRAM reset.
jumran
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 18:46    Post subject: RT-N66 Replacement Reply with quote
Looks like RT-N66 is already outdated.

Asus just announced RT-AC66U.

Quote:
Offers users new 5th generation Wi-Fi (5G WiFi) with speeds up to 1.75Gbps alongside ASUS PCE-AC66 and USB-AC53 802.11ac-capable client models

the ASUS RT-AC66U router integrates dual-band Gigabit wireless with fifth generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi technology, also known as 5G WiFi, which enables speeds up to three times faster than existing 802.11n. As one of the first routers to achieve this, it tops Gigabit wireless requirements with a combined 2.4GHz/5GHz bandwidth of 1.75Gbps. This massive data rate makes it an excellent high speed router for demanding online applications, coupled with exclusive ASUS AiRadar signal amplification and shaping technology. Easy ASUSWRT setup, multiple SSIDs, and IPv6 support further enhance networking, while strong USB-based capabilities turn the RT-AC66U into a 3G, FTP, DLNA, and printer server for genuine multi-role functionality.

Going beyond Gigabit Wi-Fi to triple wireless-N speeds

The RT-AC66U goes even further than the successful high speed RT-N66U dual-band router. Working in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, it is one of the world’s first dual-band wireless routers to support the advanced 802.11ac wireless protocol, enabling 5GHz operation at up to 1.3Gbps. These new capabilities are made possible by the inclusion of Broadcom’s powerful 5G WiFi chips. As the 2.4GHz band can work at 450Mbps on its own, the concurrent combined bandwidth of the RT-AC66U is 1.75Gbps. It uses sophisticated ASUS AiRadar technology to strengthen signals to devices, amplifying transmission in all directions to better overcome environmental obstructions and improve data rates. The inclusion of 5G WiFi makes the RT-AC66U one of the most future-proof routers on the market, ready for the next generation of high speed networks.

Extensive feature list enhances networking experiences

The RT-AC66U maintains the tradition of networking excellence established by previous ASUS high speed routers. It allows for easy and fast setup in just three steps with the ASUSWRT dashboard, and upholds strict QoS standards for the most reliable networking and download multitasking available. With QoS, the RT-AC66U has better bandwidth optimization, and offers Download Master capabilities, which mean fast background downloading even post-shutdown. Up to eight SSIDs are supported, so users can easily setup distinct networks with different access privileges and levels of security without having to compromise passwords. The RT-AC66U supports the new IPv6 standard for better packet transmission and addressing.

USB applications extend router versatility

With its twin USB ports, the RT-AC66U becomes a true multi-role device. Attaching a 3G dongle allows it to share 3G connections among several users on different devices, while full DLNA compatibility affords smooth connectivity with a variety of entertainment platforms, including game consoles, Blu-ray players, smart TVs, and set-top boxes. The RT-AC66U can also serve as a dedicated FTP server and printer server, letting users share resources for greater productivity while reducing costs as there is no need to buy standalone server hardware.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't forget that between the moment the RT-N66U was announced and the moment it was available, it took nearly a year. So, who knows how long it will take for this new product to hit the retail shelves Wink Asus have always been good at paper launches.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:
Don't forget that between the moment the RT-N66U was announced and the moment it was available, it took nearly a year. So, who knows how long it will take for this new product to hit the retail shelves Wink Asus have always been good at paper launches.

It is assuring to know that the router comes from a vendor who has experience with dual band routers. Wink
I guess it has 64KB nvram from the beginning.

Good thing is that I can now jump the planned purchase of RT-N66U and have something to wait for again.
That I have not had to spend a cent yet is one of those small things that makes life feel good. Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
RMerlin wrote:

It is assuring to know that the router comes from a vendor who has experience with dual band routers. Wink
I guess it has 64KB nvram from the beginning.

Good thing is that I can now jump the planned purchase of RT-N66U and have something to wait for again.
That I have not had to spend a cent yet is one of those small things that makes life feel good. Razz

I was also planning on purchasing the RT-N66U but with the 32kb NVRAM issue and announcement of the newer spec router, I am lucky I waited to upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:19; edited 1 time in total
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
joecop67 wrote:
So none of you thinks asus will fix the nvram issue in the rt-n66u with the next firmware as they said?

I never said that, I expect that they will eventually fix it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:19; edited 1 time in total
Kesha2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for N66U solution and not going to buy the new one, until 802.11ac specs not becomes final. First wave of 802.11ac routers based on draft specifications and there are a lot of features not implemented yet (such as MU-MIMO, which I'm waiting most of all). Moreover, looking at 1.75 Gbps speed, at first I thought they used four special streams, but
Quote:
As the 2.4GHz band can work at 450Mbps on its own, the concurrent combined bandwidth of the RT-AC66U is 1.75Gbps.
So, no surprises.
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kesha2000 wrote:
I'm still waiting for N66U solution and not going to buy the new one, until 802.11ac specs not becomes final. First wave of 802.11ac routers based on draft specifications and there are a lot of features not implemented yet (such as MU-MIMO, which I'm waiting most of all). Moreover, looking at 1.75 Gbps speed, at first I thought they used four special streams, but
Quote:
As the 2.4GHz band can work at 450Mbps on its own, the concurrent combined bandwidth of the RT-AC66U is 1.75Gbps.
So, no surprises.

Almost all 802.11ac are going to be backwards compatible just like wireless N was when it first came out...

Now that the routers are out lets see who makes a wifi card with it built in? anyone wanna guess ? (apple ?)

I can see things getting interesting unless the FCC opens more in the band... A router that takes out 80 and 160mhz channels is going to drown out any other router nearby indefinitely. Being the first on the block to unleash this massive bandwidth still has its bragging rights ...

-Fractal
Kesha2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Almost all 802.11ac are going to be backwards compatible just like wireless N was when it first came out...

Yes, I know. It's been said in quotation about combined bandwidth. I just think it's to early and pointless to buy new ac routers, there are no devices with integrated ac standard yet. And by the time when such devices will be available, they will release new routers with full feature set. IMHO.
Quote:
I can see things getting interesting unless the FCC opens more in the band... A router that takes out 80 and 160mhz channels is going to drown out any other router nearby indefinitely. Being the first on the block to unleash this massive bandwidth still has its bragging rights ...

I really don't think the hardware will be different from already existing AC routers (Buffalo & Netgear). If so, then 160mhz channel is unavailable. Also, I don't think it will be available in the near future, except governments will make some changes in legislation all over the world. So far we could barely have 1 160mhz chanell in an entire 5ghz band.
darwin2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have talk with asus support. He says with the next fw update will fixed the nvram to 64kb.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 42 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: