Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
lazik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 21:33    Post subject: Re: Shibby Tomato v96.3 or 97; Where? Reply with quote
SHKaminski wrote:
Where can I get Shibby Tomato 96.3 or 97? I have 95 (http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/), but can't find anything newer.

v97 is RC - not public yet
Sponsor
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:06    Post subject: Re: Shibby Tomato v96.3 or 97; Where? Reply with quote
lazik wrote:
SHKaminski wrote:
Where can I get Shibby Tomato 96.3 or 97? I have 95 (http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/), but can't find anything newer.

v97 is RC - not public yet
Only available to experienced testers, to make sure nothing major happens.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
jucytec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 15:13    Post subject: To revive my borked router Reply with quote
maybe someone with a lot of exp can help me.

Symptom 1: router reboots 5 times before staying ON.
Symptom 2: 5GHz LED is off, and the MAC Address is missing from the Config Page. Radio is definitely NOT on.
Symptom 3: even when the router's MAC Address is re-written via "nvram set wl1_hwaddr=30:85:AXXXXXX" It gets cleared during any FW Flash.

Anyone know how to get this router back in working mode?
Mirageknight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
New offical firmware 3.0.0.155 Release.

Changes:

AiCloud
WOL (can't start)
HTTPS acces (warning: will allow anyone to bypass authentication)
64K NVRAM
?

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20120618163819786&board_id=11&model=RT-N66U+%28VER.B1%29&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Wish this time it really changes NVRAM to 64k.
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mirageknight wrote:
New offical firmware 3.0.0.155 Release.

Changes:

AiCloud
WOL (can't start)
HTTPS acces (warning: will allow anyone to bypass authentication)
64K NVRAM
?

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20120618163819786&board_id=11&model=RT-N66U+%28VER.B1%29&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Wish this time it really changes NVRAM to 64k.

It's not an "official" release, it's a beta version someone dug out of their Russian FTP server, in a folder labeled "for testing". And it's the exact same 64K implementation we've been discussing for a few weeks already in this thread.

Last edited by RMerlin on Mon Jul 09, 2012 18:14; edited 1 time in total
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 18:13    Post subject: Re: To revive my borked router Reply with quote
jucytec wrote:

Symptom 2: 5GHz LED is off, and the MAC Address is missing from the Config Page. Radio is definitely NOT on.
Symptom 3: even when the router's MAC Address is re-written via "nvram set wl1_hwaddr=30:85:AXXXXXX" It gets cleared during any FW Flash.

Interesting. You're the second person that reports his router has no MAC assigned to the 5 GHz interface, and (therefore) 5 GHz doesn't work.

Personally I would RMA that router.
jomsjoms
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I am from the Philippines and would want to watch Netflix-USA so i plan on getting a VPN subscription.

However, it seems that my apple TV doesnt have a client VPN and the only way to connect to the VPN is through a VPN router.

In this regard, I purchased the Asus RT-66u.

Question is:

1) Do i need to patch it with DD-WRT firmware to be able to connect to VPN? (I usually see in VPN sellers that their VPN only works with DD-WRT firmware. Why cant it work with asus firmware?)

2)I intend to use only PPTP as I am not concerned with security. There's nothing that we do or hide in our computer that hackers or thieves would want.

Also, I decided to stay away from OpenVPN as i've read that it greatly reduces the speed of the internet. Internet speeds here in the Philippines are relatively slow. I am using a 3Mbps DSL line but i think our 3Mbps here is not as fast as 3Mbps in the USA.

When i use speedtest.net i get the following download speeds to:

server USA-LA: 0.52Mbps
server USA-San Francisco: 1.42Mbps
server USA-New York: 0.45Mbps

See how slow it is? Thus i intend to maximize the speed, thus PPTP VPN.

Note: My DSL plan is one of the highest already.

Question now is, can this router use PPTP with asus firmware to connect to VPN sellers? Or do i need to still use dd-wrt ?

If I use PPTP, will the NVRAM issue affect me?

Thanks

Note: I haven't gotten the router yet (its on its way via shipping) thus i cant test outright
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Asus doesn't include a VPN client in their firmware. DD-WRT would be your best bet in this area.
FTP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:
Asus doesn't include a VPN client in their firmware. DD-WRT would be your best bet in this area.

Are you sure? Shocked
Quote:
VPN Support:
IPSec Pass-Throuth
PPTP Pass-Through
L2TP Pass-Through
PPTP server

http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66U/#specifications

I'm not saying DD-WRT would not be a better option, no OpenVPN for sure, but I think the stock firmware can handle his needs Rolling Eyes
DHowett
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
FTP wrote:

Are you sure? Shocked
Quote:
VPN Support:
IPSec Pass-Throuth
PPTP Pass-Through
L2TP Pass-Through
PPTP server

Not one of those things is a VPN client. Three of them are firewall passthrough options and one of them is a VPN server.
FTP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHowett wrote:
Not one of those things is a VPN client. Three of them are firewall passthrough options and one of them is a VPN server.

Ok.
And this?
Quote:
WAN Connection Type
Internet connection type : Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP
Multicast Proxy support
ArCan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 14:52    Post subject: Re: To revive my borked router Reply with quote
jucytec wrote:

1. Switch OFF router.
2. Press "WPS" button and don't release it (not "Reset" button!).
3. Switch ON router.
4. Continue press "WPS" button during 30 seconds.
5. Release "WPS" button…

(after reboot all sets will go back to default)
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
FTP wrote:
DHowett wrote:

Ok.
And this?
Quote:
WAN Connection Type
Internet connection type : Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP
Multicast Proxy support

He wants to use a VPN connection on top of his Internet connection, not as his Internet connection, so that won't help him. He would have to do a lot of tinkering to manually setup a VPN connection on top of his ADSL connection. Not saying it's impossible, just that there is no simple to use VPN client in the router. It would all have to be manually configured, therefore DD-WRT would be a better choice.
phrequency
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:06    Post subject: Issue with UNC and wireless Reply with quote
Hi all,

First off, I'm loving the RT-N66U. I do plan on flashing to DD-WRT just as soon as this 64K NVRAM thing is fixed. This could very well fix my problem. In the meantime, I'd like to see if it can be resolved and/or confirm it's a bug.

I have the N66U running Merlin build version 3.0.0.3.144.11 connected to an XP desktop and a Win7 64-bit laptop's docking station via ethernet. Both of these computers have a couple shares. A Win7 32-bit laptop is connected using WiFi.

All can access the internet just fine. The problem is that the ethernet connected devices can access each other via UNC paths, while wireless clients cannot.

Pinging the host name as well as the IP from the desktop to the laptop on the docking station works. But once I go wireless with the laptop, I can only successfully ping the IP. I've also tried pinging from the Win7 32-bit laptop connected via WiFi while the 64-bit one is docked and using ethernet as well as undocked using wireless, but no go with using host names. Just in case someone may ask, isolation is off in the wireless settings, and all computers are on the same subnet.

Is there a setting I've overlooked or is this a possible case of the sniffles with the firmware? If someone has a little time, perhaps they could try a test with a couple devices connected via ethernet, then one on ethernet and one wireless.

Thanks a lot for any help,
Blake
P.S. On an unrelated note, XP keeps popping up a balloon telling me that the N66u was added to the network. I know this has to do with UPNP, but I'd like to keep it on. Another thing to look into I guess.
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 13:49    Post subject: Re: Issue with UNC and wireless Reply with quote
phrequency wrote:
All can access the internet just fine. The problem is that the ethernet connected devices can access each other via UNC paths, while wireless clients cannot.

I've had a few reports of SMB-related issues with the 144 base. I suspect it's a new bug in Asus's code, I'm waiting for them to release newer GPL code to rebase my work on it, and hopefully resolve those issues.

The UPNP popup has to do with some weird change Asus did in newer firmwares, where they restart the upnp daemon every hour. No idea why, I haven't looked into that yet. Their latest betas (151 and 155) also have the same behaviour.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 51 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: