Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
A new fw .162 was released just a a bit ago. I just flashed it. Can one of you geniuses check if the cfe was fixed? I have no idea how to.
All my settings were erased in this flash unlike previous ones with the exception of the first fw that fixed the nvram in kernel mode.
I mean geniuses in a good way btw.

Actually it now says the nvram is back to 32k. WTH
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Going back on .151 beta.
If its official that the rt-ac66u will have 64k nvram in the cfe I want to exchange my router.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
the asus beta's are diff than the official releases as is true with most firmware, router or a diff piece of hardware. maybe the nvram extension is not ready for public release.

Some tomato developers tried to go about it the same way as asus appears to be (non cfe - kernel hack) and it wasn't working out. LOM has brought to our attention why it is not the right way to do it.

Last I heard, Asus was working an a fix for "ddwrt" users. This will involve a cfe fix. I have no idea the status.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought that as far as the latest tomato release they had implemented a 64nvram fix in the same manner that asus has.
I don't want to use tomato, I tried it on my wnr2000 and didn't care for it.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
I thought that as far as the latest tomato release they had implemented a 64nvram fix in the same manner that asus has.
I don't want to use tomato, I tried it on my wnr2000 and didn't care for it.

I meant.. tomato devs tried upping the nvram on an rt-n16.. It has been a while but I am pretty sure it was the RT-N16..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
The input voltage is 19... but does anyone know if it'll work off a nice hefty 12v?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
p_shep wrote:
The input voltage is 19... but does anyone know if it'll work off a nice hefty 12v?

I have not tried it but i don't think so.. It might.

@ 19VDC you can get yourself a nice laptop ps with x2 or more the amps pretty cheap. I have not seen that plug on any other device though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a few devices I'm powering off an ATX PSU. Hoping to do away with the inefficient, messy wall-warts.
I can use the included PSU ok. I'll certainly attempt it if I get one.

Thanks Smile
p_shep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
So Given Newegg has the AC for $200, and N for $170, I probably might as well go for the AC... I'm assume the same firmware for both of them?

I wish I didn't have to mind. Today I was moding my N16 to add a fan, something I've done before (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72517&start=15) Only this time my patient died during the procedure Sad
I'm thinking I cracked some BGA balls while twisting the heatsink off or something Sad(
Cobra1582
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
from people post I am guessing that DD WRT is not working on this router????
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
p_shep wrote:
I have a few devices I'm powering off an ATX PSU. Hoping to do away with the inefficient, messy wall-warts.
I can use the included PSU ok. I'll certainly attempt it if I get one.

Thanks Smile

Efficiency is a curve. A 500W PSU with only 20W load will waste much more power than you might think. The 80% efficiency ratings are for an average load to high load. That's why I always facepalm myself when I see people buying 1000W PSUs to power a 400W load, thinking they have a better setup than with a 600W PSU.

12V for a device that needs 19V is a very bad idea. Lower voltage = compensated by higher current (if you remember Ohm's law). It might very well fry the device.

Last edited by RMerlin on Tue Jul 24, 2012 23:20; edited 1 time in total
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
p_shep wrote:
So Given Newegg has the AC for $200, and N for $170, I probably might as well go for the AC... I'm assume the same firmware for both of them?

They are both based on Asuswrt, so basically the same features, aside from a few that Asus hasn't enabled yet on the N66U firmware releases (like HTTPS support). But anyone can recompile the code with those features enabled.

That won't mean necessarily the same DD-WRT version however. Different radios.
p_shep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
So state of the are is: AC no worky, U kinda worky if you tilt your head to the side and squint a bit.
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
p_shep wrote:
So state of the are is: AC no worky, U kinda worky if you tilt your head to the side and squint a bit.

I have not picked up one of these devices, however if someone has and can post serial output that would let us know if they fixed the cfe in the ac device. my n66u came with serial pins already attached to the board so no soldering was necessary.

I noticed new egg put it up again today,

maybe someone from the asus camp can comment.

-Fractal
p_shep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
p_shep wrote:

I have not picked up one of these devices, however if someone has and can post serial output that would let us know if they fixed the cfe in the ac device. my n66u came with serial pins already attached to the board so no soldering was necessary.

I noticed new egg put it up again today,

maybe someone from the asus camp can comment.

-Fractal

I could probably do that. The serial pins 3.3v? I have stuff at work I can do that with.

...still hovering over the buy button!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 57 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: