Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Author Message
BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 6068
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
just to give some lights. i have this RT-66U since more than a month. the first one was just a PCB prototype. now a got the second revision. the original asus firmware doesnt seem to be finished on it, but dd-wrt works already on it. so its supported with latest nightly builds. just fixing some issues right now, but the main firmware boots and wireless works. the cpu has 600 mhz, 128 mb ram, 32 mb flash
_________________
one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

DD-WRT supported Concerts @ Bunker Dresden
18.7.2014 - London After Midnight
Sponsor
slybunda
DD-WRT User


Joined: 09 Jan 2010
Posts: 432

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
128mb ram? wonder wot happened to the 1gb ram that was advertised. 1gb is overkill.
Borage
DD-WRT User


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 420

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess that someone read the chip specs and confused bits with bytes. Smile

128 * 8 = 1024 (1 Gigabit DDR2 RAM)
kitus
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Borage wrote:
I guess that someone read the chip specs and confused bits with bytes. Smile

128 * 8 = 1024 (1 Gigabit DDR2 RAM)

I'm disappointed, I was expecting this device to be a killer because of the RAM boost, but yet it seems to be in the same league as the E4200, etc Sad

BTW BrainSlayer, do you have more information about the release date of this device?
coldfire7
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 11 Mar 2010
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sad no 1GB ram. Sad I was going to get a E4200 but then I saw this one and was waiting for it.
And now it looks like it's pretty much the same thing. Confused Rolling Eyes

_________________

1× Linksys WRT54GL v1.1
w/ DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std (SVN revision 14929) or, Tomato RAF 1.28.121006

Speedtest | Pingtest


//coldfire7
dinjo
DD-WRT User


Joined: 13 Nov 2010
Posts: 160

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got to know the DD WRT support has been added now


http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/17355
kitus
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
coldfire7 wrote:
And now it looks like it's pretty much the same thing. Confused Rolling Eyes

if this is the case, I'll rather go with the Cisco E4200. What are the main differences between the two devices now that we've seemed to find out that the N66U isn't thaaat loaded? Is it worth it anymore? what are your thoughts?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 6068
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
typo. 256MB is the real ammount
_________________
one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

DD-WRT supported Concerts @ Bunker Dresden
18.7.2014 - London After Midnight
BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 6068
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitus wrote:
coldfire7 wrote:
And now it looks like it's pretty much the same thing. Confused Rolling Eyes

if this is the case, I'll rather go with the Cisco E4200. What are the main differences between the two devices now that we've seemed to find out that the N66U isn't thaaat loaded? Is it worth it anymore? what are your thoughts?


there are some major differences. the wireless chipsets are newer. both chipsets are 3x3 (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). the linksys e4200 has just 2x2 for 2.4 ghz and has not the final broadcom chipsets. seem to be a early series from 2010. the asus has 2 USB ports and the cpu clock is also higher. ah and the asus has a internal micro SD slot which can be used in addition. i dont know if this slow is prefilled by asus, mine was empty, but working

_________________
one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

DD-WRT supported Concerts @ Bunker Dresden
18.7.2014 - London After Midnight
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 12814
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
kitus wrote:
coldfire7 wrote:
And now it looks like it's pretty much the same thing. Confused Rolling Eyes

if this is the case, I'll rather go with the Cisco E4200. What are the main differences between the two devices now that we've seemed to find out that the N66U isn't thaaat loaded? Is it worth it anymore? what are your thoughts?


there are some major differences. the wireless chipsets are newer. both chipsets are 3x3 (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). the linksys e4200 has just 2x2 for 2.4 ghz and has not the final broadcom chipsets. seem to be a early series from 2010. the asus has 2 USB ports and the cpu clock is also higher. ah and the asus has a internal micro SD slot which can be used in addition. i dont know if this slow is prefilled by asus, mine was empty, but working


@BrainSlayer..

I ran across this in trac, change set 17355, wl_generic.mk

ifeq ("$(CONFIG_WL_USBAP)","y")
82 wl_high-objs := $(SRCBASE)/wl/linux/wl_high.o
83 obj-m += wl_high.o
84 endif

I realize that this thread is about the N66U but the linksys E3200 needs drivers for the 5ghz usb radio to finish the port. Any chance of the above driver(s) working on the 3200? I'll be happy to load a test build and see.

I know you & eko were working on the 3200 but maybe the drivers were not available at the time?? The 3200 is ready to go once the 5ghz usb radio comes to life.

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
kitus
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

there are some major differences. the wireless chipsets are newer. both chipsets are 3x3 (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). the linksys e4200 has just 2x2 for 2.4 ghz and has not the final broadcom chipsets. seem to be a early series from 2010. the asus has 2 USB ports and the cpu clock is also higher. ah and the asus has a internal micro SD slot which can be used in addition. i dont know if this slow is prefilled by asus, mine was empty, but working

would you wait for this new product then? if the E4200 works reasonably good enough and does support DDWRT, I could simply go for it instead. There does not seem to be an official ETA for the N66U...

Thanks for your time Wink
BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 6068
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
i was not yet able to play with these devices since i dont have such one. in any way it would be a special build since these wl_high drivers are very HW specific and if it works in station mode is another problem. these usb host based drivers are much different from pcie/pci based ones.
for prefer the easy to support device at first

_________________
one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

DD-WRT supported Concerts @ Bunker Dresden
18.7.2014 - London After Midnight
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 12814
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
@BrainSlayer..

I ran across this in trac, change set 17355, wl_generic.mk

ifeq ("$(CONFIG_WL_USBAP)","y")
82 wl_high-objs := $(SRCBASE)/wl/linux/wl_high.o
83 obj-m += wl_high.o
84 endif

I realize that this thread is about the N66U but the linksys E3200 needs drivers for the 5ghz usb radio to finish the port. Any chance of the above driver(s) working on the 3200? I'll be happy to load a test build and see.

I know you & eko were working on the 3200 but maybe the drivers were not available at the time?? The 3200 is ready to go once the 5ghz usb radio comes to life.

BrainSlayer wrote:
i was not yet able to play with these devices since i dont have such one. in any way it would be a special build since these wl_high drivers are very HW specific and if it works in station mode is another problem. these usb host based drivers are much different from pcie/pci based ones.
for prefer the easy to support device at first

10-4.. Standing by..

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
feLixM
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey BrainSlayer, do you have some information about the DD-WRT firmware for the Asus RT-N56U too? I'm waiting for that one very long now and it seems that we don't get any information if there is someone who is developing it or not Sad
BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 6068
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
we are working on RT-N56U too but we wont release any informations until its done. (with some exceptions for sure)
_________________
one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

DD-WRT supported Concerts @ Bunker Dresden
18.7.2014 - London After Midnight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 141, 142, 143  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 143
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum