Cantenna is rather omnidirectional?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
spconnor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:57    Post subject: Cantenna is rather omnidirectional? Reply with quote
I live across the street from campus, so I built a cantenna to get on the school wifi. It is an aluminum tube 3.25" ID, 1/8" wall, and 18" long. It has an aluminum end plate welded on it. The element is 1/8" copper, which is turned down on the bottom to fit the N-type chassis connector. I have a pigtail going to this wifi receiver:

http://www.mybolse.com/product/detail_B00EZV8ZJI.html

The thing is that inside my house on my own wifi, I get the same signal strength regardless of whether it is pointing at the router or not. It also appears the be the same speed as the wifi antenna in my laptop (3.8 Mbps). I can go about 300' before I can't connect, although it keeps the same signal strength almost that far. At 500' I lose the network completely. Once I am that far away, the direction matters, but up until that point I can point is wherever and it does not appear to make a difference.

Can anyone here see anything wrong? I was told that increasing the length of the can would increase signal strength and directionality, but mine seems to not obey this rule. Any input is appreciated!
Sponsor
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you've got a problem with your antenna, you should link the antenna and not the transceiver. Smile
spconnor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is home built, so no link really. Here is a picture if that helps
spconnor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
whoops, here it is
wa2ise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your can looks to be made of plastic or such non-conducting material. You need a metal can.
See http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:04    Post subject: Re: Cantenna is rather omnidirectional? Reply with quote
He wrote:

spconnor wrote:

It is an aluminum tube 3.25" ID, 1/8" wall, and 18" long. It has an aluminum end plate welded on it....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: