Slow wireless, low wireless rate? possible cause...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 18:48    Post subject: Slow wireless, low wireless rate? possible cause... Reply with quote
I discovered a possible cause of slow wireless rates: smart phones, those that use GPRS or UMTS for data connections.

Some topics regarding the slow wireless issue:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=48893
http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86037

A possible situation here may be the smartphone at the belt of my pants, and the laptop on table, in this way the distance from phone to wireless PCMCIA adapter is within a foot or 30 cm.

Since some time I keep the phone on more distance when using the laptop (at least a meter away), untill now (a week or so), no more wireless rate drops. And even less minor rate changes (e.g. from 54 to 48 Mbps).

It sounds obvious that the data signal of the phone can easily interfer with the 2.4 GHz wifi signal.

Others suffering the slow wireless problem may check out their situation.
I'll keep an eye on it for my self and keep everyone updated here.
Sponsor
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 19:32    Post subject: Re: Slow wireless, low wireless rate? possible cause... Reply with quote
wouter wrote:
I discovered a possible cause of slow wireless rates: smart phones, those that use GPRS or UMTS for data connections.

It sounds obvious that the data signal of the phone can easily interfer with the 2.4 GHz wifi signal..

bluetooth can (it's 2.4 Ghz)
but neither GSM (800-900 Mhz, 1800-1900 Mhz) nor UMTS (1900 Mhz - 2200 Mhz) can interfere with wifi.

Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
It does not specifically have to be interference with the signal it self, it can also be direct effect on the electronic part of the wireless adapter.
Like you can hear the "GSM sound"(rattling beeps) through loudspeakers of various consumer electronics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: