[Howto] Install Optware on Atheros units (such as WNDR3700)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
wgcooley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have Optware working great on build 19342. I tried upgrading to a new version of DD-WRT firmware, but the Webgui becomes corrupted when I bind the Optware /etc folder, below:

Code:
mount -o bind /mnt/sda_part1/etc /etc

I suspect the new firmware has updated files and are not compatible with the original Optware /etc files.

How do you upgrade DD-WRT firmware without reinstalling Optware? Can I copy /etc/www to the Optware /etc folder? What else would I need to copy? Or, should I start over from scratch? Thanks!
Sponsor
nisseberra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
wgcooley wrote:
I have Optware working great on build 19342. I tried upgrading to a new version of DD-WRT firmware, but the Webgui becomes corrupted when I bind the Optware /etc folder, below:

Code:

I suspect the new firmware has updated files and are not compatible with the original Optware /etc files.

How do you upgrade DD-WRT firmware without reinstalling Optware? Can I copy /etc/www to the Optware /etc folder? What else would I need to copy? Or, should I start over from scratch? Thanks!

I just perform the last few commands (from page one here) after upgrading:
cp -a /etc/* /mnt/sda_part1/etc/

If you don't copy the /etc your web will be corrupted. Also add the startup command.
Polaris75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
dynek wrote:
chronos511 wrote:
Update: I solved this. I used the packages from http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03/ar71xx/packages/ instead of the ones from the trunk.

That's what I was going to suggest. Cool you fixed it by yourself!

Sorry, could someone expand on this? I assumed it meant installing libc and opkg from 10.03 instead of trunk would resolve "opkg: can't handle reloc type 0x2f" but that didn't do it for me.
wgcooley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it possible to install asiablock or worldblock on Atheros based routers?
sdp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:58    Post subject: Please, help! Reply with quote
Dear friends! I have router wzr-hp-g300nh with DD-WRT firmware v24-sp2 (02/11/13) std - build 20675. I installed optware in it under manual in this topic. I want install optware packages. Input command in Putty: opkg install samba36-server_3.6.11-2_ar71xx.ipk and has result:
Collected errors:
* wfopen: samba36-server_3.6.11-2_ar71xx.ipk1-2_ar71xx.ipk: No such file or directory.
* pkg_init_from_file: Failed to extract control file from samba36-server_3.6.11-2_ar71xx.ipk1-2_ar71xx.ipk.
What is wrong? Thank's!
LEDunk2007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been studying things for well over two months. To date I have a TP-Link MR3020, Netgear WNDR3700, and a Netgear WNDR3800 running OpenWRT.

I have been able to setup a toolchain on Backtrack5R3 on a 32 bit platform for OpenWRT, download the entire trunk, and compile all the packages and kernel mods for the ar71xx target. I have flashed images to all three routers, installed opkg to an EXT4 mounted thumbdrive, and managed to get ACM, FTDI, and UVC functionality operational. All of this works across every router; no questions asked, no problems.

Now I would like to do the same thing for DD-WRT. Broadcom based routers enjoy the benefit of having pre-compiled mipsel.ipk packages and some of the builds even have the kernel mods built right in. A simple insmod command later and everything just works.

However all of my routers are Atheros based units and it seems I do not enjoy the same luxuries on DD-WRT that owners of a Broadcom router have nor the full functionality I enjoy with OpenWRT.

Thus far I have already downloaded the source from the SVN for DD-WRT. However I cannot get a functional cross complier to run nor find a coherent set of instructions in the wiki in order to do so. I do not want to modify a build with the Firmware Modification kit but rather compile images, packages, and the kernel mods fresh from the source. This way everything works without throwing libc, kernel version sum errors, and all sorts of other malformed garbage across my terminal.

Can anyone provide a clear set of commands to set up the cross compiler and do so without inserting comments?

If a clear set of instructions exists would you kindly post a link?

Thanks. Comments and input are greatly appreciated.
IsabellaNET
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:31    Post subject: Re: Fix libc dependency issues Reply with quote
credd144 wrote:
I was getting something like this when I tried to install anything with a libc dependency.:
Code:
root@DD-WRT / $ opkg install busybox
Installing busybox (1.19.4-5) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/busybox_1.19.4-5_ar71xx.ipk.
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for busybox:
 *    libc *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package busybox.

This happened also when trying to install miniDLNA.

The fix (SSL'd into the DD-WRT router):
Code:
root@DD-WRT / $ cd /tmp
root@DD-WRT / $ wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/libc_0.9.33.2-1_ar71xx.ipk
root@DD-WRT / $ opkg install libc_0.9.33.2-1_ar71xx.ipk

Following this libc and related were updated and my opkg installs began to work.

Note I was not able to install the new libc package using ipkg. I had to download the file to the router and install using opkg.

It's possible that the name will change for the package will be updated so you can browse http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/ to get the updated URL to wget.

I don't think it matters, but this is on a WZR-HP-G300NH2 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/20/12) std (SVN revision 19519).

I did a lot of head scratching to get this far, so I hope it helps someone else.

Thanks. That fixed it for me.
divisionados
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
How do I start, stop, enable or disable a service. The service command is not valid.
In the version "Optware the right way" in a router broadcom this tool exists.

Quote:

service - show all services (enabled/disabled)
service <service name> - if "status" parameter is supported, will show service status, otherwise will show whether specified service is running
service <service name> on - Enable the script, allowing execution (chmod +x /opt/etc/init.d/S<servicescript>)
service <service name> off - Disable the script, disallowing execution (chmod -x /opt/etc/init.d/S<servicescript>)
service <service name> start - Start/execute the script, as long as service is enabled (i.e. permissions allow execution)
service <service name> stop Stop/kill the script, if the service is running
service <service name> restart Stop/kill the script, if the service is running, and then start/execute the script, as long as service is enabled
service <service name> <parameter> - Run the script with the parameter.

Thanks
Regards
checktravis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:12    Post subject: Re: transmission-daemon Segmentation fault after update-Solv Reply with quote
reazbuet99 wrote:
After installing transmission-daemon 2.5 from http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages, transmission-daemon failed to start showing Segmentation fault.

The following method works for me:

Modify download repository in the file /opt/etc/opkg.conf( your path may not be same) as below

src/gz snapshots http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages

Then using:

opkg update

opkg remove libc
opkg install libc

opkg remove libpthread
opkg install libpthread

opkg remove zlib
opkg install zlib

if any of them failed to remove, try --force-depends.
i.e.
opkg remove zlib --force-depends

transmission-daemon (This time it should work)

You can also update other installed software. To see upgrable software, use the command
opkg list-upgradable

and to upgrade any specific package use:
opkg upgrade <package name>

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

i broke and fixed my router dozens of times this week trying to get this to work, finally your tips here did the trick. i did have to add
Code:
--force-depends --force-removal-of-essential-packages

to get the packages out of there, and for libc, i had to wget that one to get it reinstalled
Code:
cd /tmp
wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/libc_0.9.33.2-1_ar71xx.ipk
opkg install libc_0.9.33.2-1_ar71xx.ipk

not done yet, but this was a big hurdle you got me past.
xakep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for this nice tutorial but few issues.

1. Step 5 if you just do "ipkg libc_0.9.33.2-1_ar71xx.ipk opkg_618-3_ar71xx.ipk" nothing will happen prompt will give you error, you have to do INSTALL aka "ipkg install libc_0.9.33.2-1_ar71xx.ipk opkg_618-3_ar71xx.ipk" and only then you'll have "proper" errors you talking about.

2. For me personally I have one more error. After router reset after Step 8 I did opkg update and here is what I got:

Code:
root@Router root $ opkg update
opkg: '/opt/lib/libgcc_s.so.1' is not an ELF executable for MIPS
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /opt/tmp/var/opkg-lists/snapshots.
root@Router root $

Anyone know how to fix this error , cause I don't even know what it is or what it does.

Thank you.

P.S I fixed problem with that libgcc_s.so.1 file.
I installed libc_0.9.33.2-1_ar71xx.ipk using command opkg install libc_0.9.33.2-1_ar71xx.ipk and now here is my outcome.

Code:
root@Router root $ opkg update
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /opt/tmp/var/opkg-lists/snapshots.
root@Router root $

No errors. Next to learn on how to install , update and confugure all programs I can now install. (anyone said torrent client ?)

dekim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there,

Followed this tutorial, but then, cannot longer login using Telnet and i'm using same user/pass as on web gui.

Any ideas?
msantos2007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
dekim wrote:
Hi there,

Followed this tutorial, but then, cannot longer login using Telnet and i'm using same user/pass as on web gui.

Any ideas?

Please try:

- user: root
- password: <same as on web gui>

If it won't login, remove your USB flashdrive/HDD, reboot your router (or power cycle). Something might be wrong on Startup Command and it has to be redone.
facted
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 16:34    Post subject: Re: [Howto] Install Optware on Atheros units (such as WNDR37 Reply with quote
ipkg libc_0.9.33.2-1_ar71xx.ipk opkg_618-3_ar71xx.ipk

I believe the line above in your tutorial is missing "install". No? I couldn't get it to work without the install. Thanks for your great tutorial!
msantos2007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:39    Post subject: Re: [Howto] Install Optware on Atheros units (such as WNDR37 Reply with quote
facted wrote:
ipkg libc_0.9.33.2-1_ar71xx.ipk opkg_618-3_ar71xx.ipk

I believe the line above in your tutorial is missing "install". No? I couldn't get it to work without the install. Thanks for your great tutorial!

Yes, "install" is missing. Also, at step 5, "Inflating" state is no longer printed out and it should be ignored.
rebelldersonne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for this newbie-friendly tutorial!

Now, I wanted to install minidlna on my WNDR3700 because the DLNA-function from Netgear is driving me crazy... But I get the error
Code:
-sh: opkg: not found

I think this is because my router doesn't "recognize" the WAN-connection. It is connected to modem-router which is the DHCP-server and connected to the LAN-1-port of my Netgear. Is there a way to download the package and copy it on the Netgear or to get the Netgear "recognizing" the Internet connection?

thanks in advance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29, 30, 31  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 23 of 31
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: