802.1q vlan range on E3000 - VIDs beyond 15 possible?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
cron2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
I think it would be best to just remove the 16 VLAN limit and keep the VID and VLAN numbered the same.

Yep, I agree with that.

It would actually simplify the patch for BCM53115 switches - just walk the whole range from 1...4094 and see whether anything is defined, and then just program it (since I'm remapping the vid in all places where it's programmed already, so no "table index" stuff here).

For "max 16 VLAN" switches, one would need to carry a "vlan_index" variable that counts vlans-in-use and is used in places where you need a vlan index (0..15) that points to the "real" VID - and if you reach 16, print a warning and ignore the rest.

My approach is basically a hack to see whether it can be done at all, and to get it done without having to touch anything in the existing userland tools for now (just setup "vlan920" manually, which is fine for our needs). Your approach needs some restructuring in the GUI (can't just display "all 15 VLANs" anymore, need to have <add> buttons...) and in the "create interfaces at bootup" code (walk to 4094, not only to 15). But that's all just some coding Cool not fundamental "figure out whether the hardware can do it at all" stuff.

gert
Sponsor
cron2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:46    Post subject: notice Reply with quote
hi,

just noticed that the patch I've posted has an oversight in there - it does "arl_entry[6] = (vid_map & 0x255);" which obviously should be "arl_entry[6] = (vid_map & 0xff);"

I'm not exactly sure whether these arl_entry settings have any effect - but *if* we poke a vlan ID there, it should be done properly Wink
cron2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 13:19    Post subject: cleaned up patch Reply with quote
Hi,

a cleaned-up patch that doesn't print so much debug info but still works Smile is attached. Functionally, it's the same changes (but with the arl_entry[] stuff fixed).

I've also tested vlan ID 4022 now (random VID >1024), and that also works (pinging from router, and adding vlan4022 to bridge groups).

gert

bcmrobo-c-patch2.txt
 Description:
patch to enable 802.1q vlan IDs >15 on BCM53115 switches, like in the E3000 (for DD-WRT's bcmrobo.c)

Download
 Filename:  bcmrobo-c-patch2.txt
 Filesize:  2.59 KB
 Downloaded:  1786 Time(s)

tangsoft
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:33    Post subject: Awesome!!! thank you. Reply with quote
hope this patch would be built into next release version of firmware.
if it does trick on 5325 that is perfect.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:04    Post subject: Re: Awesome!!! thank you. Reply with quote
cron2 wrote:
My approach is basically a hack to see whether it can be done at all, and to get it done without having to touch anything in the existing userland tools for now (just setup "vlan920" manually, which is fine for our needs). Your approach needs some restructuring in the GUI (can't just display "all 15 VLANs" anymore, need to have <add> buttons...) and in the "create interfaces at bootup" code (walk to 4094, not only to 15). But that's all just some coding Cool not fundamental "figure out whether the hardware can do it at all" stuff.

That's not really a fair statement. Both approaches need a GUI update for the GUI to be able to configure things and both approaches allow the user to configure nvram variables if the GUI isn't updated.

tangsoft wrote:

I wouldn't expect it any time soon. Right now it's a rough proof of concept that needs to be cleaned up before implemented so that it doesn't cause more problems than it solves.

I'm going to try some more to get a build environment working so that I can help out with this because I really want better VLAN support. I have a VM that I think is close to being able to build but I put it on hold half a year ago to do a lot of research/documentation about VLAN support. If anyone has a VM with a working build environment I'd really appreciate a torrent of it, otherwise if I ever get mine working I'll put a torrent up.

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:52    Post subject: Re: Awesome!!! thank you. Reply with quote
tangsoft wrote:

Check next Tomato release, it wouldn't surprise me if they pick up this patch and includes it in their next release.

Both dd-wrt and OpenWRT has stopped Broadcom development so there isn't much chance of it appearing here or there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:07    Post subject: Re: Awesome!!! thank you. Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
tangsoft wrote:

Check next Tomato release, it wouldn't surprise me if they pick up this patch and includes it in their next release.

Both dd-wrt and OpenWRT has stopped Broadcom development so there isn't much chance of it appearing here or there.

hmmm, now time here FTTH is getting more and more popular, and home WIFI router(or residential gateway) has to accommodate more services like IPTV/VoIP other than just Internet access. To put all these functions support into a single box, VLAN support is the key point, especially full 802.1q vlan feature. Maybe it is time to carry up your suspended plan and move faster.
I would be a volunteer for testing.
nicmic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:17    Post subject: WRT54 Reply with quote
That patch would also work on a Linksys WTR54 right? That would be really awesome, this feature is really eagerly awaited!
cron2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:02    Post subject: Re: Awesome!!! thank you. Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:

That's not really a fair statement. Both approaches need a GUI update for the GUI to be able to configure things and both approaches allow the user to configure nvram variables if the GUI isn't updated.

Sorry, I didn't want to sound derisive or anything. You're correct, to fully make use of the feature, the GUI has to be adapted no matter how the kernel side will look like - and in that case, your approach might be less complex.

phuzi0n wrote:

I'm going to try some more to get a build environment working so that I can help out with this because I really want better VLAN support (...) otherwise if I ever get mine working I'll put a torrent up.

My build environment is a big FAIL - things get compiled and put into an image, but the resulting kernel always panics, no matter which cross-gcc etc. I use. I feel I'm just missing a tiny bit here - so if you can get your VM running, I would very much appreciate the torrent.

gert
cron2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:04    Post subject: Re: WRT54 Reply with quote
nicmic wrote:
That patch would also work on a Linksys WTR54 right? That would be really awesome, this feature is really eagerly awaited!

It really depends on the switch chip used in the device. I know it works for the 53115, and there is a good chance that it will work for other bcmrobo chips - but we'll need to test (and if it doesn't work, you better have a serial cable around).

gert
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi cron2, thanks for your work as well.

I don't know if it helps but I've compiled some builds a while ago and I've used Makefile.brcm26.

I also need this patch for my RT-N16 to get rid off Vodafone's router, which is Crapsom (Thomson actually). Seems that Vodafone uses vlan in 110-115 range.
cron2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
I don't know if it helps but I've compiled some builds a while ago and I've used Makefile.brcm26.

Is this still working for you (and for E3000)? This would be good to know (because then I know it's something in *my* setup and not something in the DD-WRT source tree). I've used Makefile.brcm26 as well.

fggs wrote:
I also need this patch for my RT-N16 to get rid off Vodafone's router, which is Crapsom (Thomson actually). Seems that Vodafone uses vlan in 110-115 range.

The wiki http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16 states that this one also uses a 53115, so it "should" be a matter of patching bcmrobo and rebuilding the image...

gert
cron2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 0:15    Post subject: the dd-wrt way of doing things Reply with quote
Mmmh. What we have now is nice theory, but I think it won't actually work in dd-wrt, because it wants to configure the robo switch at runtime.

As far as I understand, the call sequence goes something like this:

services/networking/interface.c:
- read "vlan<num>ports" from nvram
- poke ports to /proc/switch/eth0/vlan/<num>/ports

goes from there to kernel "switch_core" module, and from there to handle_vlan_port_write() in "switch_robo" module.

switch_robo is limited to 16 vlans, but only because it tells switch_core so (driver.vlan structure), and "interface.c" has a "for( i=0; i<16; i++)" bit in there...

So if someone can cofirm that indeed this is the path that is used for run-time configuration of vlans, it might be even easier to adapt (just rebuild the modules)...

What confuses me a bit is that there is other code that does, well, "other things", like rc/vlan.c that calls "vconfig" to setup VLANs - and I don't really understand which part is being used (either? both? none) and under which conditions.

gert
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes switch_core and switch_robo handle the live reconfiguration of VLAN's for Broadcom switches if the VLAN boardflag is enabled but if these modules aren't loaded then the switch driver just loads the VLAN configuration on its own. If the VLAN boardflag is disabled then the kernel's VLAN tagging support (vconfig/VLAN tagging on the networking page) can be used for the entire switch but ports can't be separated into specific VLAN's. All the other platforms (Atheros, Ralink, etc.) only support the kernel's VLAN tagging currently.

BCM4704 CPU's + BCM5325F switches are an even odder case because it has two MII's (internal connections), one for the WAN port and one for the LAN ports, so the Broadcom specific stuff still applies to the LAN ports, but the WAN port has to use the kernel's VLAN tagging support no matter how the boardflag is configured.

cron2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, patching switch-bcmrobo.c works, and I can get my vlans 920+930+940 that way - but it's somewhat ugly (/proc/switch/eth0/vlan is prepopulated with 1024 subdirectories now), and of course I'd need to recomple the run-time environment to make it "compatible".

OTOH, for my purposes, just doing

echo "4t 8" >/proc/switch/eth0/vlan/920/ports
vconfig add eth0 920
ifconfig vlan920 ... up

perfectly well does the job from within a script :-)

The switch-robo.c patch is fully trivial:

Code:

--- switch-robo.c       (revision 15508)
+++ switch-robo.c       (working copy)
@@ -598,7 +598,7 @@
                        .interface              = device,
                        .cpuport                = 5,
                        .ports                  = 6,
-                       .vlans                  = 16,
+                       .vlans                  = 1020,
                        .driver_handlers        = cfg,
                        .port_handlers          = NULL,
                        .vlan_handlers          = vlan,

Yee-ha!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: