Multiple MAC adresses on WAN port?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MrP001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 19:42    Post subject: Multiple MAC adresses on WAN port? Reply with quote
My ISP allows multiple different systems on my home network to receive different external IP-addresses. For every MAC address, you get one IP.
What I want to do is use my WRT54G to create two VLANs: one linked to one external IP and the other VLAN linked to the other external IP. In order to do this however, I must force my router to act as two different systems (so it must have two MAC addresses on the WAN port).

Is this possible? I know i could do this by adding a hub/switch and some routers, but that's just not cool (and expensive). If it is possible, is there a guide somewhere or could someone give me some pointers?

My firmware version is: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/02/09) std

Best regards and thanks in advance,
MrP001
Sponsor
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
What do you want to achieve? Two independant local networks with independant external ips? that is possible... but why that?

what you can do instead is bridge one lanport together with WAN so the connected device will get a wan ip.

Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can not assign multiple MAC addresses to an interface. You can move a LAN port into the same VLAN as the WAN port to make it switched with the modem.
MrP001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
The goal would be to assign multiple MAC addresses to one interface. If it is not possible, i'll just have to buy some more hardware...
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrP001 wrote:
The goal would be to assign multiple MAC addresses to one interface.

Ok. But for what reason? What do you want to achieve with that?

clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
MrP001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a server, which I want to give an external IP which is different from the one on which i put my local network. My ISP however only allows one external IP for each MAC address. I know i can do this by adding a switch between my modem and my router/server, but that would mean i have to go buy another switch.

A VLAN solution might also work and tips in that direction are always welcome, but i would prefer two MAC addresses because that way i can keep the two IP addresses even when rebooting the server.
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
My initial proposal is the way to go then.

bridge the lan port (e.g. add it to the wan vlan) where the server is connected to the wan interface.

MrP001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, i'll try that for now.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: