G300N dif wifi settings = signal in/decrease wierdness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
meocene
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 14:34    Post subject: G300N dif wifi settings = signal in/decrease wierdness Reply with quote
i noticed this when trying to figure out the wireless settings.

after a reboot, with these settings my wifi signal strength seams way too low for a router with an amp and 3 antennas.
wireless status shows Tx power: 16dBm.

if i then switch to (in this order): G, 20MHz, apply settings, mixed G/N, apply settings, 40MHz, apply settings, my signal strength jumps ~30%, and Tx power reads 21dBm.

a reboot resets whatever's happening here.

also, i know there's forums full of these questions, but... antenna chains? Very Happy
from what i've read 1+2/1+3 will dedicate an antenna to Tx and Rx?
1 being the internal, 2 and 3 the externals?
I'm guessing this config would be useful for WDS?
1+2+3 for both Tx and Rx enables diversity?

can't find any definitive answers - or at least consistent descriptions of how each chain operates, and its affect on the amp.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
With regards to the antenna chains...

There is alot of people that think setting it different will make it better, but most times, it doesn't

Those chain settings work in regards to what mode and what kinda MIMO setup the router has.

Example...

I have a WRT400N, its a 2x2 MIMO N router, its default chains are set to 1+2 | 1+2

If you set it any other way, it will not function properly because it needs the 1+2 chain setting in order to use the antennas properly.

And another diff example...

I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, its a 3x3 MIMO N router, its default chains are set to 1+3 | 1+2+3 which if you ran it in N mode, you would need those chains for it to work properly in regards to it using the 3 antennas to do the MIMO streams that this N unit does, now if i ran it in G-mode only, i could then use a 1+3 | 1+3 chain setting and it still work properly because G only uses a rx and a tx antenna for G specs.

Hope that helps.

Best regards.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
After more researching on that unit, its a 2x2 MIMO unit, so a chain setting of 1+2 | 1+2 is best for that unit, i am probably about to order one of those today, i been curious about testing it just on the removable antennas fact alone.

And on a side note, even changing the settings etc, clicking apply and it changing to 23dBm or whatever means nothing, as you see it doesn't survive a reboot, thats because the 'report' number doesn't mean shit. Its not what its truly at. If you observe the signal with something like Xirrus wifi inspector or inSSIDer, you'll see that changing that means nothing.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
meocene
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
i wasn't manually changing the tx power in the wireless settings tab. the dBm reports i was referring to were from the wireless status page.

and it's an great little router. range is very good.
transfers well - had two iplayer streams on 2 pc's (one wired, one not), a 300+MB transfer wireless to wireless, and an android streaming youtube without a hitch.

still surprised it only cost me £45.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well i am pretty sure it won't top my WZR-HP-G300NH, but i wouldn't mind trying it for the external antennas to better my neighbor's link to me. I installed a WL520gU at my neighbor's house as a repeater, so she could use my wireless for her and her children. It does a great job with 55% signal. But i wouldn't mind getting one of these WHR-HP-G300N and putting it in place of the Asus and see if it would do better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: