Spectral Scan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
onix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:03    Post subject: Spectral Scan Reply with quote
Forgive my curiosity, but is there any technical background on how dd-wrt does a Spectral Scan? The pop-up window can be brought up under Status --> Wireless --> Spectrum (button at the bottom)

The real-time graph is cool, but does it work? How does one read it?

I am running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30082 std (07/01/16) on a Buffalo AG300H ...

Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's implemented a month ago. So, it is in test phase but sure it is working. You can be the first to write ddwrt wiki article on this... in this way you could contribute to ddwrt community and to say thank you for using ddwrt firmware. I doubt that ddwrt devs has time to give you support on this or to teach you how to read it... you'll have to figure it on your own... again, this is community... you can ask for help but it is polite to give something back...
SpiderVice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's probably a representation of this: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath9k/spectral_scan
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 0:19    Post subject: Spectrum Scan Reply with quote
I have the knowledge to write the wiki article but the wiki pages requires a login name and password that the system will not allow me to create. How do I create a dd-wrt wiki account?

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
try to contact BrainsLayer or Markus... problem is spammers, so my advice to you: write article, show it to BS and ask him about creation of wiki account... ddwrt wiki is realy outdated in some segments. ddwrt firmware developed very fast and changed a lot so any help would be appriciated...
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:56    Post subject: Wiki Article Reply with quote
I just PMed Brainslayer with a draft of the article.
Here is what I have so far:

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
onix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
What a treat that this is built in to ath9k, and based on some reports, in ath10k, too. It's been there since 2013. I was simply unaware.

This still begs the question, "Does it work?", or should I say, "How well does it work?"

It would need to be benched against a Keysight (formerly Agilent and before that HP) RF spectrum analyzer, or even a simple USB-based spectrometer dongle. Also, these reference products have standard ways to display the digitized FFT information and the knobs have inputs for FFT window size, filter type (e.g. Blackmann, Hamming, etc), sampling rate, A/D dynamic range, etc. This would be important to use or know in such a tool to determine impact of aliasing, S/N, bandwidth of the measured data, etc.

Note, this mode of query is not a knock on the dd-wrt project. There is no reason to get defensive. I respect, appreciate, and benefit from all those involved. It is simply important to be rigorous and precise.

Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: