"What's the Best Router..." thread. Ask/post here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 14:58    Post subject: "What's the Best Router..." thread. Ask/post here Reply with quote
Of course, this question has no "right" answer. Best depends on your needs and budget and no one can answer this for you. However, in spite of that, people seem to ask this question several times a week and don't search for the hundreds of other threads in this forum that ask the same thing.

So, post your needs and recommendations here. Hopefully this will cut down on redundant posts.

Here are my thoughts on this:
1. If you want absolute stability, you need an older router that can handle the k24 builds, and use those rather than the k26 builds. However most new routers need a k26 build and many people do have success with these builds.

2. If you want signal range, get something with external antennas. Those linksys ashtrays (e2000 e3000 etc.) don't seem to have the range. Nor does 5ghz btw.

3. If you want power for high speed connections or high demands, get something with both a lot of memory and a strong CPU. A router such as the Asus RT-N16 has these. So do many, but not all, newer routers. Routers with the same Speed and memory will perform similarly.

4. To find out some of this information, or to find out if a router you are interested in can run dd-wrt, check out the supported devices wiki.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

5. If you want to know about a SPECIFIC router, search for it. Most routers have a thread devoted just to that router and how it works with dd-wrt.

Once dd-wrt is installed on a router, the BASIC features that dd-wrt allows you to have are mostly the same for all dd-wrt supported routers. For broadcom devices, there are some differences in the features in the different sizes of dd-wrt available (which depend on the FLASH memory of the router, not the RAM). To understand the differences of the file versions and available features for Broadcom devices, see the peacock announcement, note 4: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

On a completely unrelated issue, if you are asking a question about setting up or problems with a specific router that you own, you should NOT be posting in this General forum! READ this:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54959

MOD EDIT: Posts that contain vague information (I want a router for my house with three computers and do video streaming... Rolling Eyes)that ask people to help make a choice that can only be made by you, or that go for a week with no response, or that show you haven't read the thread will be deleted to keep the thread of a readable length for those who ARE seeking information to use to make their own choice. NO one can tell you what router YOU should buy! Similarly, don't ask people to do your research for you! (Which router have these qualifications?) Read the thread. Check the supported devices wiki. Make a choice

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread got Long and a bit dated, so I reset it. Posts that were split off are here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=277589

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
zilexa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 14:46    Post subject: 11AC and DD-WRT Reply with quote
I have spend an hour trying to match cheap AC routers and the DD-WRT database and, if I found a match, search for the experiences in the forum. Unfortunately, the cheap AC routers from brands like D-Link, Linksys and Netgear are not supported by DD-WRT. I found this one from Buffalo but experiences with DD-WRT are not good: Buffalo AirStation WZR-1166.

Who can recommend a cheap AC router that does have DD-WRT working properly? With 'cheap' I mean <€90 or at least <100.
oneeyebear
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am trying to choose a router that is 100% reliable and able to work with DD-WRT as a network extender. Needs to be wireless N at least.

I last had a TL-WR841ND v9.0 that I bricked while trying to return it to stock firmware because I had very frequent drops in connection while using the router as a routed client bridge. My current primary router is a Netgear WNR1000v2, not fully compatible with DD-WRT.

Any suggestions?
greydwarf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 17:27    Post subject: Router to support dairly complex proxy server Reply with quote
Summary
What would be a good router where the driving requirement is to support a fairly complex squid configuration and a USB drive?

Details
My primary reason for wanting to install DD-WRT on my router is that I want to limit access to specific sites depending on the time of day. This is for both me and my children. All of us could stand some "enforced discipline" when it comes to visiting "fun" sites when we should be working. My first question is "does this seem like something DD-WRT could do"? Is there a better way to achieve my goals? Assuming this is an appropriate solution, the next question is "which router should I buy"? The three routers I am considering right now are the ASUS RT-AC66U ($99), the TP-LINK Archer C7 ($150), and the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 ($180).

My network consists of the following:
    2 main PCs w/ a 1GB wired connection (primary use, surfing, gaming, video, the gamut)
    1 networked printer w/ a direct wired connection
    1 laptop w/ a wireless N connection (primary use, the gamut, but significantly lighter BW requirements)
    1 HTPC w/ a wireless AC connection (primary use HTPC stuff)
    3 mobile devices w/ very poor cell service, so mostly wireless N connection (primary use audio, very little video)
    I want to add a 1TB USB 3.0 drive to the router to allow easy file sharing between the devices.

The heaviest expected simultaneous usage would be the two primary PCs and the laptop involved in a game while the HTPC was streaming video.
I believe any of the routers I am considering will handle the bandwidth requirements easily, however I am concerned about the CPU/memory requirements of the proxy server and the USB drive. I also a little worried about making sure the network will be adequate for the next 5 years so I don't want to go much lower in terms of bandwidth than the 1750 routers, either. Does anyone run a proxy server on their router? How much horsepower does it take? Will I be happy with the ASUS or should I upgrade a bit?
As an aside, what do you think of the USB drive for file sharing? Is this the right solution or should I do something else?
lethalsniper007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
i,m looking for a router where it allows me to do full Control or manage the bandwidth for each device
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
lethalsniper007 wrote:
i,m looking for a router where it allows me to do full Control or manage the bandwidth for each device

A router that runs k24, (as opposed to one that requires k26) can run a special build of dd-wrt that brainslayer has released to the public and has some functionality in this regard. You will have to research the special builds further, and find out what they do.

Also, I believe you can do with with one of the optware packages, which should also run on k26 builds, but require a USB equipped router. Search for "OTRW".

There is tons of information on this if you search for it.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
lethalsniper007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which router would that be I can't seem to find any.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: