"What's the Best Router..." thread. Ask/post here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 14:58    Post subject: "What's the Best Router..." thread. Ask/post here Reply with quote
Of course, this question has no "right" answer. Best depends on your needs and budget and no one can answer this for you. However, in spite of that, people seem to ask this question several times a week and don't search for the hundreds of other threads in this forum that ask the same thing.

So, post your needs and recommendations here. Hopefully this will cut down on redundant posts.

Here are my thoughts on this:
1. If you want absolute stability, you need an older router that can handle the k24 builds, and use those rather than the k26 builds. However most new routers need a k26 build and many people do have success with these builds.

2. If you want signal range, get something with external antennas. Those linksys ashtrays (e2000 e3000 etc.) don't seem to have the range. Nor does 5ghz btw.

3. If you want power for high speed connections or high demands, get something with both a lot of memory and a strong CPU. A router such as the Asus RT-N16 has these. So do many, but not all, newer routers. Routers with the same Speed and memory will perform similarly.

4. To find out some of this information, or to find out if a router you are interested in can run dd-wrt, or it's features and build types check out the supported devices wiki.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

5. If you want to know about a SPECIFIC router, search for it. Most routers have a thread devoted just to that router and how it works with dd-wrt.

6. Dd-wrt will not install on modem router combination units. There is a buffalo modem combo available at the dd-wrt store, but that is the only one. NO other modems can use dd-wrt.

Once dd-wrt is installed on a router, the BASIC features that dd-wrt allows you to have are mostly the same for all dd-wrt supported routers. For broadcom devices, there are some differences in the features in the different sizes of dd-wrt available (which depend on the FLASH memory of the router, not the RAM). To understand the differences of the file versions and available features for Broadcom devices, see the peacock announcement, note 4: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

On a completely unrelated issue, if you are asking a question about setting up or problems with a specific router that you own, you should NOT be posting in this General forum! READ this:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54959

MOD EDIT: Posts that contain vague information (I want a router for my house with three computers and do video streaming... Rolling Eyes)that ask people to help make a choice that can only be made by you, or that go for a week with no response, or that show you haven't read the thread will be deleted to keep the thread of a readable length for those who ARE seeking information to use to make their own choice. NO one can tell you what router YOU should buy! Similarly, don't ask people to do your research for you! (Which router have these qualifications?) Read the thread. Check the supported devices wiki. Make a choice

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread got Long and a bit dated, so I reset it. Posts that were split off are here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=277589

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
lethalsniper007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
i,m looking for a router where it allows me to do full Control or manage the bandwidth for each device
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
lethalsniper007 wrote:
i,m looking for a router where it allows me to do full Control or manage the bandwidth for each device

A router that runs k24, (as opposed to one that requires k26) can run a special build of dd-wrt that brainslayer has released to the public and has some functionality in this regard. You will have to research the special builds further, and find out what they do.

Also, I believe you can do with with one of the optware packages, which should also run on k26 builds, but require a USB equipped router. Search for "OTRW".

There is tons of information on this if you search for it.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
jweaks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 17:29    Post subject: router for my situation... Reply with quote
Decisions, decisions... Just when I pick one I read something that makes me think again.

I'm getting new service, 50m cable modem, and my current trendnet router will be inadequate.

When all setup I will have 4 wired clients and 10-12 wireless clients. Two of the wireless will be streaming video so I was thinking 5ghz/11ac.

The building is three floors, about 2500sf, and the router has to go on the bottom floor. My old trendnet running DD-WRT covers it okay but not great.

I think external antennas are a must.

It's not a deal breaker, but I'd like VPN potential as well.
omgitsgela
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:53    Post subject: Speed / Removable Antennas Reply with quote
I'm managing the network for a technically inclined friend of mine, and I need to find hardware to bring him up to the modern era of wifi speeds. This is kind of what I'm looking for:

CAT 6 or Gigabit physical ports
802.11 g/n/(ac would be nice for future, but not needed)
Enough memory and processing power to handle local DNSMasq caching and standard features for up to 10 client devices
Optionally removable antennas to run aftermarket antenna/coax for better coverage (We're hams, we know what we're doing.)

Reasonably low cost, budget $100 is acceptable for the router itself, but if you suggest things that are outside that range, the suggestion is certainly more than welcome.

Thank you for your assistance and time
QuadraQ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
From my searching around, it looks like the Netgear N7000 would be a great choice for my needs (AC wireless, dozens of wired connections, 100 MBS internet, limited wireless connections). Anyone else have experiences (good or bad) with this router and DD-WRT?
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
@omgitsgela
@QuadraQ

I am very happy with the R6300v2, a broadcom dual core ARM cpu device that is similar to the R7000 (but with internal antenna). the R7000 has external antenna.

these Broadcom ARM devices recently got a wifi driver update (about a month ago) and really became stable/reliable. I'm sure a lot of the folks on the broadcom forum would recommend the R7000, (Costco has the R6700 new for 159.99 basically the same thing as the R7000 but only one USB port, i think)

Atheros:
Also KrypteX & tatsuya46 made some good atheros chip device recommendations here recently (but i think these are internal antenna deals)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279242

depending on what you are comfortable doing... if the "price was right" on an internal antenna uint, you could probably modify them with "U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA" cables... see image here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=953749#953749

i.e. you might be able to find a refurbished R6250 and add your own antenna mod a lot cheaper than the R7000 (i.e. if in the US there is a guy that has sold almost 300 refurbs on eBay for 73.99 and free shipping, see HERE)

(if you want to see one of my R6300v2 units cases/boards taken apart, i have one cracked open right now... i could upload pictures)

see this for actual device specs:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Netgear

good luck!

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 26500M 03-23-2015
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 26500M 03-23-2015
Loc_2.1: WRT54G v6 -- 12548 micro (AP)
Other: DIR-615 C1 | DIR-615 C1
_.-:Spares for Testing & Historical:-._
WNDR4500v1-- BS 26424 | too many others to list

Current & Historical Build/Device Observations HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
HalfBit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
jheide44 wrote:
I'm sure a lot of the folks on the broadcom forum would recommend the R7000, (Costco has the R6700 new for 159.99 basically the same thing as the R7000 but only one USB port, i think)

You're correct:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Everything is the same, minus the USB 2.0 port on the R6700.

WRT54Gv8.2 - V24 Micro Build 22118 configured as AP
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
fwiw,

R6700 on "sale" at Costco for $139.99

Mfr's instant rebate through 3/29/15

(a picture is worth 1000 words...)

R6700_Costco_Sale.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.32 KB
 Viewed:  3141 Time(s)

R6700_Costco_Sale.jpg

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 26500M 03-23-2015
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 26500M 03-23-2015
Loc_2.1: WRT54G v6 -- 12548 micro (AP)
Other: DIR-615 C1 | DIR-615 C1
_.-:Spares for Testing & Historical:-._
WNDR4500v1-- BS 26424 | too many others to list

Current & Historical Build/Device Observations HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
mitchrapp99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, what im looking for is a router that i can use as a repeater. I work in an all metal office building. I would like a router recommendation that I could use the router as a repeater either off of a comcast hotspot (my login of course) or as a repeater from the local free "guest" wifi that are around me. sub$100 or less is preferred, and replaceable antennas (for better signal) would be awesome.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any ddwrt should be able to do repeater. There have been some problems with repeater mode with specific builds. However, a router cannot easily logon to an HTML webpage, but that is not a hardware issue. Search for information on this. "College dorm" search would be a good start.

freejack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am looking for a router that will support Vlan's for each ethernet port seperate from WAN. Any suggestions? I need to replace a Sophos UTM with a low power consumption unit to run off solar power.

I have a D-link 615 that has DD-WRT on it but it does not have the ability to do VLAN.
Saintj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone help me out.
I currently have a couple of wrt54gl's and I'm really happy with them but I seriously need an upgrade to a gigabit router.
What it needs to do is, have enough vram so I can flash whatever I want on it (and works on it obviously), it has to be able to transport video (1080p, 4k, in whatever encode) to various wired HTPC's internally and externally, preform well with high bandwidth usage (gaming, filesharing etc.), be able to have a solid and faster then G wireless connection and obviously have the ability to run dd-wrt on it with as many options as available (if I want to run a vpn build I want to be able to, if I want to run a std build it should, whatever), vlan support on each port for the future, oh and it would be nice if it didn't require like 40 watt to run my router lol.
Any model suggestions are welcome. I don't really mind what I need to do to flash it except for JTAGing it right out of the box, it's just for home use and that's more of a "if I have some extra cash I'll buy one to "hobby" around with" model Razz.
Any suggestions are welcome. I'm very pleased with the linksys's I had in the past (only had 1 fail on me but that was my own fault) but I'm not really stuck on the brand.
Thanks!
crx88ia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 20:58    Post subject: Cheap Client Bridge. Reply with quote
FWIW I just picked IP a E2000 (n300 on 2.4 or 5) router at a thrift store for $10. Great for my home theater to have a Ethernet connection to my WiFi.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: