"What's the Best Router..." thread. Ask/post here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Hoofee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:18    Post subject: Best router for VPN & Wireless Range Reply with quote
Hi all,

I've been a bit confused about which router to get, some of the newer ones (Asus) appear to have CFE which stops newer dd-wrt firmware from being applied and some have other stability issues.

I'm currently using a Netgear WNDR3700 (v1) router with DD-WRT installed and it has served me reasonably well, however it is now not going to have enough wireless range for what I need. (I now have a wireless doorbell, Ring Pro, and there is very little signal at that point as it is outside by a gate).

My needs are, in order of priority:

1. Must be able to have good signal strength and throughput at ~30 meters (100ft). There are a few walls (a couple are brick) to get through as direct line of sight to the external doorbell.
2. Must be able to run as a VPN client, so good VPN performance is desirable.
3. Must have at least 4 x gigabit ports, would be nice if two can be aggregated (for my Synology NAS).
4. Does not need to use a serial cable to update firmware.

Other points:
1. I have ~12 wireless devices.
2. I have ~10 wired devices but have them mostly on switches so 4 ports in the router is enough.
3. My devices mostly if not all support b/g/n only, but would be nice to somewhat future proof it.
4. I'm not fussy what firmware to use.
5. Price is not an issue.

I'm leaning toward the higher end Netgear R9000, but got a bit turned off due to this review:

https://www.cnet.com/au/products/netgear-nighthawk-x10-ad7200-smart-wifi-router/review/2/

I'm not sure exactly how to read the graphs, but at a glance it looks like the range is a bit sub-par.

Regards,
Dave.
Sponsor
Hoofee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:49    Post subject: Settled on Netgear R7800 Reply with quote
After more looking, it seems like the Netgear R7800 X4S mostly suits what I'm after. Much better wireless range, good dual 1.7ghz cpu for better VPN processing. I don't think it has port aggregation though but that's not a showstopper.

Cheers,
Dave.
Hoofee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Argh, I can't win!

I just found that the R7800 was never brought to Australia so I'll have to ship it in from the US.

However, first, can somebody with an R7800 please tell me whether under the wireless settings you have the ability to select "Australia" from the Regulatory Domain.

Thanks,
Dave.
kanataa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 15:21    Post subject: New Router Reply with quote
Hi guys
I'm planning to buy a new router, but I'm not sure which one.
My old D-Link DIR-825 is still working fine, but I need an upgrade in speed, specially because I'm planing to setup a VPN connection.

Basic requirements:
- OpenVPN client or server (connecting two networks)
- 30+ Wifi devices
- long term usability (5+ years)
- stable connections

Currently I'm looking at the following devices (but also open for other proposals):
- ASUS RT-AC5300
- Netgear R8500 Nighthawk X8
- D-Link DIR-895L ULTRA
- D-Link DIR-890L

Money isn't really an issue, as I am quite happy to pay for quality and reliability. I just want the right / best solution for ages.

Thanks for all your suggestion! Any help is highly appreciated.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 15:51    Post subject: Re: New Router Reply with quote
kanataa wrote:
Hi guys
I'm planning to buy a new router, but I'm not sure which one.
My old D-Link DIR-825 is still working fine, but I need an upgrade in speed, specially because I'm planing to setup a VPN connection.

Basic requirements:
- OpenVPN client or server (connecting two networks)
- 30+ Wifi devices
- long term usability (5+ years)
- stable connections

Currently I'm looking at the following devices (but also open for other proposals):
- ASUS RT-AC5300
- Netgear R8500 Nighthawk X8
- D-Link DIR-895L ULTRA
- D-Link DIR-890L

Money isn't really an issue, as I am quite happy to pay for quality and reliability. I just want the right / best solution for ages.

Thanks for all your suggestion! Any help is highly appreciated.

None of those if you want the best vpn performance. According to users on the forum, your best bet would be a netgear r7800 or a linksys wrt3200acm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 17:36    Post subject: Router for running a script Reply with quote
Hi,

I am trying to run a script to enable WOL over a specified port (see the script at the bottom of the post). For this the router needs to have tcpdump on dd-wrt and the possibility to run commands. Also I would like it to have 4 gigabit ports. The router will be a secondary router so that are the only needs for this purpose. What is the cheapest router to fit this needs?

Thanks,

Patrick

-------

#!/bin/sh
#Enable JFFS2 and place script in /jffs/ then run on startup in web interface.
#You can check the log from http://192.168.1.1/user/wol.html

INTERVAL=2
PINGTIME=1
OLD_TIME=""
PORT=32400
WOLPORT=9
TARGET=192.168.1.2
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
MAC=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WOL=/usr/sbin/wol
LOGFILE="/tmp/www/wol.html"
# Never change LOGLINESTOSTORE to under 100. It will create pretty much a loop on the cleanup log procedure
LOGLINESTOSTORE=500
PURGECOUNT=0

echo "<meta http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"10\">" > $LOGFILE
echo "["`date`"] AUTO WOL Script started. <br>" >> $LOGFILE
echo "For server: $TARGET:$PORT and MAC: $MAC on port $WOLPORT <br>" >> $LOGFILE

tcpdump -q -n -i any -p -P out -K -l -O -U 'dst host '$TARGET' and dst port '$PORT'' 2>/dev/null | while read NEW ; do
# Get the line in seconds, to minimize the number of processed commands.
NEW_TIME=`echo $NEW | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'`
if [ "$NEW_TIME" != "$OLD_TIME" ]; then
# Get the source IP for logging
SRC=`echo $NEW | awk -F'[.| ]' '{print $4"."$5"."$6"."$7}'`
# If box is alive (responding to ping)
if ping -qw $PINGTIME $TARGET >/dev/null; then
echo "[`date`] NOWAKE - $TARGET accessed by $SRC <br>">> $LOGFILE
#touch /dev/null
else
echo "[`date`] _WAKE_ - $TARGET accessed by $SRC <br>">> $LOGFILE
$WOL -i $BROADCAST -p $WOLPORT $MAC >> $LOGFILE
fi
OLD_TIME=$NEW_TIME
# Cleanup log file procedure, keeping the header and the last 10 last WAKE log lines
if [ "`wc -l $LOGFILE | awk -F'[ ]' '{print $1}'`" -gt "$LOGLINESTOSTORE" ]; then
head -n 3 $LOGFILE > /tmp/www/wol.tmp
PURGECOUNT=$((PURGECOUNT+1))
echo "Log File purged $PURGECOUNT times, last one at $NEW_TIME <br> " >> /tmp/www/wol.tmp
grep _WAKE_ $LOGFILE | tail -n 10 >> /tmp/www/wol.tmp
mv /tmp/www/wol.tmp $LOGFILE
echo "<br>" >> $LOGFILE
fi
sleep $INTERVAL
fi
done
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Patrick1610 i recon Netgear R6400 or R7000 will do ...
or D-link Dir862l if it has tcpdump...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ------DD-WRT 32597 (AP,NAT,AD Blocking,Firewall,No Wi-Fi)
Qualcomm/IPQ8065
Netgear R7800 ------------DD-WRT 33010M Kong (AP,NAT,AD Blocking,Firewall,DNSCrypt x4)
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 ---------DD-WRT 33010M Kong (AP,NAT,Privoxy,Country Block,Firewall,DNSCrypt x4)
Others
TP-Link WR1043NDv2.......... Gargoyle OS 1.9.2(AP,NAT,QoS,Quotas)
Netgear ProSAFE-GS105Ev2 ....(LAN Switch)
BARONVONNETWORK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 23:58    Post subject: BEST CHOICE Reply with quote
Hi guys i have the choice of a free router from work between the Linksys 3200acm and an Asus RT-3200 and was wondering what is the better choice.

I want to know which is better for custom firmware ddwrt/merlin and espically which is better at stock firmware e.g. interface and functions

I know the Linksys has higher hardware specs and 2 partitions but will that be really any advantage against the asus at current.

Any help making this decision appreciated.
I currently run 2 archer C7s 1 as router 1 as access point. and have around 40 clients connected on average if that helps make the decision easier.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 19:21    Post subject: Re: BEST CHOICE Reply with quote
BARONVONNETWORK wrote:
Hi guys i have the choice of a free router from work between the Linksys 3200acm and an Asus RT-3200 and was wondering what is the better choice.

I want to know which is better for custom firmware ddwrt/merlin and especially which is better at stock firmware e.g. interface and functions

I know the Linksys has higher hardware specs and 2 partitions but will that be really any advantage against the asus at current.

Any help making this decision appreciated.
I currently run 2 archer C7s 1 as router 1 as access point. and have around 40 clients connected on average if that helps make the decision easier.

Well Asus has same chip like R7000 and R7000 is considered as a vary stable router operating with DD-WRT...i guess as there are drivers for it it will be just as good as R7000 but i might be wrong you have to ask in Broadcom forums about Asus... http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1
Linksys has much more processing power and specs but has a Marvell chip so ask in http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=58

Qualcomm/IPQ8065
Netgear R7800 ------------DD-WRT 33010M Kong (AP,NAT,AD Blocking,Firewall,DNSCrypt x4)
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 ---------DD-WRT 33010M Kong (AP,NAT,Privoxy,Country Block,Firewall,DNSCrypt x4)
Others

Last edited by Alozaros on Mon Aug 07, 2017 19:24; edited 1 time in total
Patrick1610
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:

Thanks! Will the Asus RT-N66U also work?
Am I correct to understand that I will need to use the Big or Mega version of DD-WRT in order to run TCPdump?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Patrick1610 wrote:
Alozaros wrote:

Am I correct to understand that I will need to use the Big or Mega version of DD-WRT in order to run TCPdump?

i would ve chosen less troublesome router easy to install
DD-WRT
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/Supported%20Models
i do not see it in Kong supported devices but there is a vary old Kong build running.. Im not sure if BrainSlayer (BS) builds have tcpdump for it but consider it has 32mb flash size you might get lucky....the only one thing as i stated before to you is, if tcpdump is stripped and runs only limited set of commands/variables, than you'd need to install it separately...

Qualcomm/IPQ8065
Broadcom
Others
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Patrick1610 wrote:
Alozaros wrote:

The rt-n66u uses only one firmware. Don't make the mistake many have made.
It will be labeled like this ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/08-03-2017-r33006/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-33006_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

The other builds were for the initial released router that had 32k nvram.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Patrick1610 wrote:
Alozaros wrote:

The rt-n66u uses only one firmware. Don't make the mistake many have made.
It will be labeled like this ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/08-03-2017-r33006/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-33006_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

The other builds were for the initial released router that had 32k nvram.

Thanks for the heads-up! Wil the version of DD-WRT you mention support TCPdump?
Patrick1610
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
Patrick1610 wrote:
Alozaros wrote:

i would ve chosen less troublesome router easy to install
DD-WRT
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/Supported%20Models
i do not see it in Kong supported devices but there is a vary old Kong build running.. Im not sure if BrainSlayer (BS) builds have tcpdump for it but consider it has 32mb flash size you might get lucky....the only one thing as i stated before to you is, if tcpdump is stripped and runs only limited set of commands/variables, than you'd need to install it separately...

Thanks!!

I can get this router for about €40 second-hand. Is there a less troublesome router in that secondhand price range with certain tcpdump?

Is the TP-Link Archer C7 a better option?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
try Netgear R6400, R7000

Archer c7 only v2 and v3 are supported...and is too old
with not enough CPU power and medium flash size 16MB...
i doubt it will have tcpdump

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

i guess to end your struggle my advise is.. send or ask BS with PM how to meet your tcpdump requirement and witch router has it, so far he (BS) and Kong compile all firmware's and will know if your requirement can be matched...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=2

Qualcomm/IPQ8065
Broadcom
Others
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 15 of 16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: