"What's the Best Router..." thread. Ask/post here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
looking for a new router to go with a new NBN Fixed Wireless connection.

guest network
connect to vpn server
create vpn server (PPTP)
i will try to have most connections on ethernet but phones tablets etc would be wifi.
wifi range around the house would be nicve... but might put an old router to use to get some signal outside

Was looking at
1. RT-AC87U but after reading this thread http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=266322&start=195&sid=55261d13f51d98cd9633273c22181e49 it appears theres a few issues.

2.R7000 have seen its a reasonable contender

3.the R6700 - not much cheaper than the r7000 so no point really.

any others im missing?

what would be the best pick?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 18:38    Post subject: Looking for a Router Reply with quote
I'm interested in a router that has the following
    Has WiFi Speeds at 300Mbps or higher

Has a USB port for NAS

Has Ethernet Gigabit ports

Has good wifi signals between 4 walls on the same floor

And can do the following flawlessly
    a VPN up to 5 devices

Wake on Lan via Internet

Download Manager for HTTP/FTP/BT Downloads/Uploads

That's all
any recommendations?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello everyone!

I'm new router firmware flashing and I was also interested in acquiring a new router compatible with DD-WRT.

I was looking and in my price range I came to the following three models: (maybe there's another good ones that I missed?)
TP-LINK Archer C7/C8/C9($110-$130) vs ASUS AC66U/AC68U($140-$160) vs Netgear R7000($150)
Clearly the TP-Link ones are much cheaper (where I'm from) than the Asus and Netgear, but as far as reviews go they are very similar..

My first question was that not all of them are in the Router Database, but I also read that the list isn't always up to date. Could you please confirm that they would all work? (I did see beta download versions for them except the C8).

I was also reading reviews of people complaining a bit about the AC68 because there were some issues with th 2.4GHz wireless. Can anyone confirm that still happens with DD-WRT?

Is the flashing kind of standard for all of them and are they mostly stable or will I have more troubles with a specific model?

I have a medium sized apartment, 150Mbit connection, and their usage will be pretty basic: Dual band, HD streaming, gaming, NAS and that's about it..

Could you please point me in the right direction or at least give your opinion on these models?

Thanks you in advance
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 16:10    Post subject: Which of these routers would be suitable for DD WRT? Reply with quote
The following is a list of routers that I can buy locally, sorted roughly in order of price from $30 to about $80. I have no experience with DD WRT, but I'm hoping that it allows for more NAT entries (more than 16) than my current router has, and can block incoming connections based on IP/port rules (possibly lots of rules). This is for a small office that currently has a 6-mbps DSL connection that will be upgraded to 25 or 50 mbps in the near future.

Ease of flashing DD WRT (without bricking the device) is also (naturally) a high priority.

I have no need for wifi functionality, so it's of no concern if wifi performance is degraded or becomes non-functional under DD WRT. So given all that, here are my current choices:

Western Digital My Net N600
Linksys AC1750 EA6500V2-RM
Linksys AC1200 EA6350-RM
D-Link N300 DIR-605L
Netgear N150 WNR1000
ASUS N300 RT-N12/D1
D-Link AC750 DIR-816L
Buffalo N600 AirStation WHR-600D
D-Link AC1200 DIR-850L
TP-LINK AC750 Archer C2
D-Link DSR-150 8-Port VPN Router

Which of those would make the best candidate for DD WRT given my use-case?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Jump to: