"What's the Best Router..." thread. Ask/post here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
criscocube
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 16:50    Post subject: Re: v24 router capable 200,000+ actual throughput and wirele Reply with quote
I ended up going with the Archer C9. I had no trouble getting DD-WRT running on it with no problems, so far everythign works fine, and the very much needed VLAN for the Telekom fiber works just fine, the router is crazy fast and I'm maxing out my fiber connection limits at over 300000 throughput with no problem.

criscocube wrote:
Hi all,

Looking for a router, and getting a bit stumped by the huge choices.

Criteria:

Very fast actual throughput - I have 200000 up/down fiber.
Wireless N (prefer dual band)
External antenna
Big build (prefer mega)
Highly stable (v24???)
Availible in EU/Germany

Abstract stuffs:

I am looking all over and in the router wiki and otherwise, it is becoming a headache to find a v24 or otherwise highly stable build for a router that has been tested at a MINIMUM of 200000+ actual throughput (prefer higher as it is both 200000 up and down) [i have a fiber connection].

I have used ddwrt just a tiny bit for many years but never too seriously, anyway I need to buy a new router because my current one only gets around 93000 throughput and is a total waste of my new fiber connection, and I want one that can use ddwrt for me to mess with sometimes, but mostly wanting stability.

It is highly preferable to be availible in EU (germany specifically) via amazon or similar.

Thanks for your suggestions, in the meantime I will keep browsing router specs and builds....
Sponsor
guiniol
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 20:44    Post subject: [Solved] DD-WRT compatible and nice wifi sub 100€ Reply with quote
I found this thread http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1000729 which seemed to have the right answer for me, except that I can't get my hands on a 862L here.

I have a small flat with a fast cable/fiber connection, but the WiFi in the providers router lags a lot. There are a lot of WiFi network around us, so we need something strong enough. There are usually 4 or 5 devices connected, 3 support ac, but not the other two. I was thinking of setting two networks, one on 2.4Ghz for those without AC and one on 5Ghz for those with AC, unless it's better to just have one network on both bands and let the router/devices handle which band they use.

Anyhow, what should I get?
Should I go for the Archer C7 mentioned in the thread above as an alternative to the 862L?

Cheers

EDIT -- SOLUTION

Went for a R6250
The options were, in order from worse to better performance:
- 682L or archer C7: 682L unavailable for me, archer C7 new 100€ or used 70€ but version unsure
- R6250: new 100€ on sale
- RT-AC68P: used ~125€ (maybe a bit more, shipping not totally sure)
Since the advantage of the RT-AC68P over the R6250 is mainly the range and I live in a small flat, I went for the R6250. That way I also get the warranty.

Thanks Malachi for his help
@m0eb@
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was living a peaceful life with my Belkin F6D4230v1 till someone started hacking my data. I learned how routers could be hacked, how to protect from this and bumped into a new term "dd-wrt". In next 3 days, I purchased a new router, with least hurt to my pocket - the E900. By then I studied dd-wrt to a fair extent and in another 2 days I had this router up and running with dd-wrt configured as two networks (br0 + br1) - one running TorGuard and the other open.

All's fine - except that my 10 MBPS ISP is now available to me at <2MBPS when using the TorGuard Server. Kind forum members clarified that it's the processor speed ... 300MHz is simply not enough to receive encrypted data and transmit - that too over a second wlan.

Now I may need to make an investment again !! I need suggestions from experienced members on what the right course of action would be?
    Will overclocking the E900 resolve my problem?
    Do I buy another router and use both to transmit the two channels? What is the minimum config I need?
    Can the old Belkin F6D4230v1 be used in any way (2MB Flash - no dd-wrt support and vulnerable to hacks)?

I've been studying for past 48 hours - and any tips from the gurus would be most helpful in providing the right direction. Thanks in advance !!
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ @m0eb@, is eBay an option? There are some outstanding deals to be had. I like the Archer c7 v2 or dir-862l. They're the same hardware, but the 862l can be found new open box on eBay for $30-40 quite easily. I'm not sure on the exact speed with the 720mhz processor when running openvpn, but the c7 I setup with it for a friend is able to stream Netflix HD while other clients are browsing the web and there are no issues.

If you want more power on a budget, I don't have experience with broadcom yet, but netgear seems pretty good from the reading I've done, as Kong works with many of them. I have a used ac1450 on the way, which has a dual core 800mhz processor and 256mb ram. The ac1450 and r6300v2 (avoid v1) are the same hardware. WiFi performance on the ac1450 is just restricted by the stock firmware. The r6250 has the same SoC as well, its just double stream 2.4ghz and is missing the second USB port. Factory refurbs can be found for $60-70 pretty easily.

It seems like other brands with similar specs are available for similar prices, but the Netgear models supported by Kong have a dedicated developer adding commits specifically on devices he uses. It'll be a bit before my ac1450 gets to Vietnam, but I'll be flashing immediately and can offer feedback at that point if needed.
@m0eb@
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found an interesting link comparing routers w.r.t. speed and range. This is old - but for most of us with a limited budget - it's what they call 'state-of-the-art'

[url] http://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-smart-wi-fi-router-r7000/2/ [/url]

This compares the R7000 with other routers. You may like it
dth5767
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trying to decide on a router for OpenVPN. I seem to get more undecided the more I read. I know the higher processing speed the better. This router will be set up as a access point and only the handle what I want to go thru the OpenVPN.

Looking at
Asus AC68U
Netgear R7000
WRT1200AC
WRT1900ACS

Right now I am leaning towards the WRT1200AC price is good and processor speed in 1332MHz.

What are your thought on this?
phlegmer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
What I want in a router
-----------------------
1. Front facing LED for all the ports and wifi
2. The LED's are multicolor to indicate 100 / 1000 on each port
3. The LED's shows activity.
4. Switch is Gigabit
5. 2.4 and 5 ghz radios

WNDR4500 almost got it but missed on #3.

Thanks
marquisexb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 22:12    Post subject: Cheapest N/Gigabit DDWRT Compatible Reply with quote
I'm looking for 1-3 cheap DDWRT compatible routers with gigabit and 300N (300Mps) for indoor use.

I frequently have lots of wifi devices connecting, and I think my WRT600N is taking a beating. Have had to reset it twice last month. Would like a few to connect to my wired connection and spread the love.

Don't need any bells & whistles as this will only be used for wifi (no printers, NAS, etc.)

I'd consider ebay, but would prefer new.
GreyDoc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:50    Post subject: Re: Cheapest N/Gigabit DDWRT Compatible Reply with quote
marquisexb wrote:
I'm looking for 1-3 cheap DDWRT compatible routers with gigabit and 300N (300Mps) for indoor use.

I frequently have lots of wifi devices connecting, and I think my WRT600N is taking a beating. Have had to reset it twice last month. Would like a few to connect to my wired connection and spread the love.

Don't need any bells & whistles as this will only be used for wifi (no printers, NAS, etc.)

I'd consider ebay, but would prefer new.

dir-862l used from ebay or wr1043nd v2 if you want new
jrussell88
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to replace my Asus RT-N16 with something better. I've added quite a few services to the Asus and it tends to lose its settings when powered down - the NVRam issue. As I'm not always present to restore them, and I need remote access to my NAS, I'd like a more capable 5GHz router.

There are more 2.4GHz networks around than there used to be, as well as a hotel next door with multiple APs and a few on 5GHz too. My house has thick stone walls and is surrounded by buildings so contention has become a problem.

I'm looking for an AC router with:
    Three data streams
    Maximum range in both bands - this is a priority
    USB 3.0
    Gigabit ethernet
    A solid dd-wrt build
    Stability

Routers which appear to fit the bill are:
    Netgear R7000 - SNB measures high range, other reviews say not
    Asus RT-AC68U - hardware specs not quite as good as R7000; SNB reports slightly lower range, but others say it's higher
    Linksys EA8500?

Are there any other strong contenders?

Can you comment on the comparison?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
The r7000 and rt-ac68u are great routers and a new rt-ac68u in stores is likely to be the new revision with the same cpu as the r7000.
I have the new rt-ac68u and the ea8500. I've had the r7000. The Asus and netgear, right now are better with dd-wrt than the ea8500.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. Was there any particular reason you replaced the R7000?

Out of the three, which do you think would keep a connection at the greatest range on either band?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
To me the rt-ac68u and the r7000 are interchangeable so no need to keep both.
I prefer the Asus as it has a mini cfe webserver and a firmware restoration utility.
I have the Asus which is Broadcom, an ea8500 which is atheros and a wrt1900ac which is Marvell.
I like to play with all three but to me the Asus is the best on dd-wrt. My personal preference.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
dth5767 wrote:
Trying to decide on a router for OpenVPN. I seem to get more undecided the more I read. I know the higher processing speed the better. This router will be set up as a access point and only the handle what I want to go thru the OpenVPN.

Looking at
Asus AC68U
Netgear R7000
WRT1200AC
WRT1900ACS

Right now I am leaning towards the WRT1200AC price is good and processor speed in 1332MHz.

What are your thought on this?

Any feedback on this?
mchahn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:21    Post subject: best second router? Reply with quote
I have been using my fios router with a second router as just an AP for years but the second router is old and only has 2.4GHZ with N. The AP is connected to the main fios router through wired ethernet. They provide two SSIDs to cover my entire house.

I now want to replace my second AP router with AC and 5GHZ. Nothing fancy. Will any router running dd-wrt work this way for a second SSID? I know that when I first looked into stock routers years ago some didn't work for this. Please give me suggestions. Of course I want it cheap. (grin)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: