Deciding on a DD-WRT -capable router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Ligence
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 15:42    Post subject: Deciding on a DD-WRT -capable router Reply with quote
Hello!

I've had a DIR-825 with DD-WRT for some years now, and have loved it. I've set it reboot once a week, and thus it has been practically maintenance-free all this time.

I'm now looking for another wireless router (for a yacht club), preferably something compatible with DD-WRT, and also preferably something that can be "left to its own devices" just like my DIR-825. A few requirements though:
- At least 2 detachable antennas, as the building has an already-installed external antenna
- Wall-mountable
- VAP-capable (for a separated-from-club-network visitor wlan)
- Capable of handling quite a few clients, as the upper floor of the building is very often used for occasions like weddings so there may well be a hundred people present.

I created a VAP on my own DIR-825 and set the necessary firewall config as instructed in this article, and it worked excellently. I then took the device to the yacht club and replaced the other stock antenna with the external one, and everything seemed to work. The signal strength, however, was slightly lacking. There is another building they'd like the wlan to work in as well, a guard tower, and the signal is 40-50% in there with the DIR-825. A separate repeater is of course an option if necessary.

However, the DIR-825 is no longer produced...so, what would be a suitable router in this case? I'm sure there's a plethora of routers that are capable in this respect, I've mostly looked at some Asus routers. Apparently RT-N16 is one recommended fairly often and the DD-WRT support is apparently quite mature, but RT-N66U and RT-AC66U are promised 50% more range (150m vs. 100m) than that. I wonder if that promised increase in range would have any real-world effect with the external antenna in place of one of the originals?
However, the DD-WRT Wiki presents some issues with RT-N66U but makes mention of none with the RT-AC66. Is the RT-AC66 a "safe buy" in this regard, or should I perhaps look at some entirely different device?

I'll also need to hook up a desktop computer to the wlan (while mentally opposed to desktop computers using wlan, it's easier than neatly routing 20+ meters of cable in this case), I reckon any USB-WLAN stick will do, but if there's a specific one that's worth a mention then I'm all ears.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
The antennas work together (MIMO), so replacing one with an external one is a bad idea.

Are you going to have outdor coverage in the harbour, outdoor APs is better.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/?categoryid=216

These have two antennas and send in a 60 degree window.
They are also powered by the ethernet cable (PoE).
gahelm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 19:43    Post subject: DD-WRT Reply with quote
There isn't a version of DD-WRT worth putting on a new router right now. Much too unstable for reliable service!

Stick with the manufacturers firmware. (And get the R7000) Sad
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 19:50    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT Reply with quote
gahelm wrote:
There isn't a version of DD-WRT worth putting on a new router right now. Much too unstable for reliable service!

Horse Manure. There are many stable and reliable builds for many available routers.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
gahelm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 17:36    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
gahelm wrote:

Horse Manure. There are many stable and reliable builds for many available routers.

That's your opinion, but all anyone has to do is read the forums both here and at myopenrouter.com to learn whats really going on. I'm not saying DD-WRT is bad, I'm just saying that if you need a solution that you don't have to check on daily, then you don't want DD-WRT right now.

However, if someone has the time and inclination to check on the router every day and possibly reboot it, then DD-WRT is a great solution. I just don't have the time anymore.

While I could use the additional features DD-WRT provides, the stability issues cannot be justified by the additional features.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an Asus RT-ac66u with build 24200. I do not reboot for weeks.

There have been reports of reboots on the R7000 and ac68u, that should all be issues of the past.

Dd-wrt supports 4096 NAT Connections. If you exceed this the router will crash. Count about 30 connections for each client.
Ligence
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all the replies, both en- and discouraging! For now we'll proceed with the RT-AC66U, and see how it copes with one antenna being replaced by the external antenna. If it's not satisfactory in that or other respects, I can always re-flash the ASUS firmware and return it.

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
The antennas work together (MIMO), so replacing one with an external one is a bad idea.

Are you going to have outdor coverage in the harbour, outdoor APs is better.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/?categoryid=216

These have two antennas and send in a 60 degree window.
They are also powered by the ethernet cable (PoE).

An excellent idea, thank you. I never imagined those would be so affordable. We'll thus most likely look into adding an outdoor AP to the setup a bit later on.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=216&model=TL-WA5210G
"12dBi dual-polarized antenna to build long distance WiFi connection up to 15km(9.3miles)"
Huh.

EDIT:
I was assuming DD-WRT is necessary for VAP, as I don't think my DIR-825 had that feature with stock firmware, but apparently the RT-AC66U does. Isn't this "guest network" exactly the same, just with a bit less settings available?

In this specific scenario, the only reason to install DD-WRT would probably be the scheduled reboots, though the I'm not sure about the necessity of those with the stock firmware.

Navigation

Jump to: