Local DNS questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
drsprite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 18:50    Post subject: Local DNS questions Reply with quote
I can't quite figure out the local DNS, even after reading a few rtfm's on how to do it.

I have defined my LAN Domain, and have turned on DNSMasq for local DNS.

If I give a device a static lease, or DHCP, then DNS is working fine.

However, I have a few devices which are statically defined. If I define them in the "Additional DNSMasq Options" section as below, then I cannot nslookup/ping nor access them either by hostname or fqdn.

Code:
address=/printer/192.168.0.51

Any thoughts?
Sponsor
Max Hopper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 14:35    Post subject: Not quite the syntax expected by dnsmasq Reply with quote
Quote:
address=/printer/192.168.0.51

Perhaps it is dhcp-host=printer,192.168.0.51, which according to conflicting information here - http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html, is in error.

Quote:
-G, --dhcp-host=[<hwaddr>][,id:<client_id>|*][,set:<tag>][,<ipaddr>][,<hostname>][,<lease_time>][,ignore]

dhcp-host=192.168.0.51,printer

Quote:
--dhcp-host=lap,192.168.0.199 tells dnsmasq to always allocate the machine lap the IP address 192.168.0.199.

Regardless of the syntax, the purpose of the dhcp-host directive is to assign a predetermined IP address when the device issues a DHCP DISCOVER request. Should a device ('printer') not request a DHCP DISCOVER request, e.g., the device has not the capability, dnsmasq will never add the hostname to it's DNS resolver. Also, if the IP address is assigned by a 'competing' DHCP server. e.g., in the WAN modem/router, the DNS resolver of dnsmasq will never know.

Now, if the IP address of 'printer' is manually configured in the device then the directive host-record is required to create the DNS A and PTR records in the dnsmasq DNS resolver.

Quote:
--host-record=<name>[,<name>....][<IPv4-address>],[<IPv6-address>]
Add A, AAAA and PTR records to the DNS. This adds one or more names to the DNS with associated IPv4 (A) and IPv6 (AAAA) records. A name may appear in more than one host-record and therefore be assigned more than one address. Only the first address creates a PTR record linking the address to the name. This is the same rule as is used reading hosts-files. host-record options are considered to be read before host-files, so a name appearing there inhibits PTR-record creation if it appears in hosts-file also. Unlike hosts-files, names are not expanded, even when expand-hosts is in effect. Short and long names may appear in the same host-record, eg. --host-record=laptop,laptop.thekelleys.org,192.168.0.1,1234::100

N.B. use of the host-record directive in r23598 crashes dnsmasq (I shall report this)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: