Extending WiFi, buying new router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Mrcepan990
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 18:18    Post subject: Extending WiFi, buying new router? Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I had two routers connected wirelessly in order to extend WiFi from the main one but some time ago connection broke and I wasn't able to get it working again. Because of that I decided to give up on Asus RT-N10 (repeating router) as it's not very well supported as firmware goes so now I'm thinking about buying a replacement.

My needs are simple: extend the signal so I can get it downstairs, only wireless is needed on second device, it has to work with main router - Asus RT-17U using WPA2 for WiFi.

Obviously I want to keep cost to the minimum without losing too much performance. So, should I go for some WiFi extender or simply buy another router that will work with DD-WRT and create repeater bridge again?

Thanks.
Sponsor
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know what you mean by performance and the sentence after you say you just want to extend your wifi so there is not much process that the second router will do. I would buy an extender. Or if you plan to use some VPN, QoS, torrenting features in the future then you could start thinking about buying a router, I mean considering that you already have one but with not much performance.
Mrcepan990
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Performance was good when second router was still working, what I meant by losing some was repeater bridge cutting the bandwidth.

From what I understand extender wouldn't have that problem?
Second device won't be doing anything heavy, not even torrents - just checking the mail on phone, some occasional YouTube maybe.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mrcepan990 wrote:
Performance was good when second router was still working, what I meant by losing some was repeater bridge cutting the bandwidth.

From what I understand extender wouldn't have that problem?
Second device won't be doing anything heavy, not even torrents - just checking the mail on phone, some occasional YouTube maybe.

Nope. And even less with that use.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#The_.22half_bandwidth.22_misunderstanding
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: