Please confirm before I flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
mmesford
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 19:22    Post subject: Please confirm before I flash Reply with quote
I bought a LinkSys WRT54GL on Craigslist with dd-wrt already installed. Firmware version is v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mini-build 13064. Rev 9. The router has 16M ram and 4M flash ram. I want to add openVPN functionality. After reading the Peacock post several times I've decided I should use dd-wrt.v24_VPN_generic.bin. I also plan to do the 30-30-30 reset at both ends of the process even thought there seems to be some disagreement about the need for this. I figure it can't hurt. Does anyone see a problem with my plan so far?

Mike
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Even if all goes swimmingly, according to "plan", you're very likely to be dissatisfied w/ the performance (that's a crappy 200MHz processor, based on ancient architecture, circa 2005). VPNs need the best routers available for optimal performance, and even then, they rarely compare to a full-blown Windows/Linux PC.
mmesford
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it's still a good learning opportunity and it may work fine for what I need. I need to use the VPN to allow access to a remote PLC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: