100 pages of RT-N16 post Condensed.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
mchaley
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:
mchaley wrote:
I got to 19519. If there is more USB hdd support (auto-mount, format, etc) in a more recent version I might upgrade higher. That'd be a nice feature but it's too much work to get going right now.

Did 19519 help with your issue or are you still experiencing the same issue?

I've actually not tried it. Will give it a shot and report back.

Thanks!
Sponsor
ctracy33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 19:50    Post subject: Wifi speed issues Reply with quote
I recently installed an Asus RT-N16 that I flashed with 19519 Mega. I am not the most technically savvy person, but I can usually figure things out. A great friend of mine suggested I buy the Asus and flash it with DD-WRT. I tried it with the build 14896 suggested in the router database. I had some issues and then spent nearly 2 days reading all the different forums to try to fix my issues. After reading, I thought the best solution was to upgrade to build 19519 based on the recommendations of this thread.
I don't use my router for anything crazy other than streaming media throughout my house. I upgraded the antennas to 3 8dbi antennas on the Asus. The reason was my reception in different parts of my house was always poor with my Linksys E4200 router. After flashing my router, my friend suggested making the following changes:
- Change local ip address to 192.168.60.1
- Increase TX to 71
- Use Channel 11
- Use 40mhz Upper for Channel width
I think that is all the changes I made. I used 71 TX because it gave me a strong signal on the other side of my house where we were having low signal issues. I no longer have signal issues anywhere in my house. The problem I have and I can't for the life of me figure out is my WIFI speed. My wired cpu gets 36mbs. The problem with my WIFI is that I can get 7mbs max about 3-5 feet from my computer. Then when I go to the other side of my house is might go as high as 3, but then drops to under 1. This morning when I tested the speed next to the router and the wifi hit 1.3mbs. I unplugged the router and restarted it, but it really doesn't help.
Can anyone point me in the right direction on what I should do to fix this? Should I use a different build? Is there a setting I can change in the router admin? Could it be my router is bad? I am driving myself crazy and can't solve the problem.
chillo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same Problems with two rt-n16 connected with wds. After a while the signal strength goes down. Only a reboot helps
use latest version kong 22000
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
most advanced version I am on is 3.x 22118. if you are not using OTRW, give that a try.
Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
chillo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can put the direct link to the firmware?
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
instructions for going to 3.x 22118 are on page 12 of this thread.
Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.

blueman2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Valkener wrote:
Can anyone confirm that OpenVPN runs as per official guide? I've had a reset happen to me during the install and am wondering if the 32K NVRAM are sufficient or if I need to store the keys somewhere else.

Thank you.

I just ran through this problem myself. You are correct in that the NVRAM on the N16 is too small typically to hold all the OpenVPN info such as keys. You have to run a script in Startup that clears out the NVRAM by deleting unused variables. I use this in my startup command
Code:
 for line in `nvram show  | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done

Gets me down to about 22K used. Installing the RSA keys and variables for OpenVPN takes about 4-5K, and puts me back up to 26K which still leaves some breathing room. But I did turn off traffic monitoring and uPNP.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
with the 3.x version of 22118, it bumped up my NVRAM to 64K. I can;t verify if OpenVPN works on it but if NVRAM exhaustion is your problem, this is a possible solution.

So give it a try and let us know if it works for you.

I have been running the 3.x version of 22118 for about 5-6 weeks now with no issue.

Common F.A.Q.

hching
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:
thought this would be useful to be contained in this thread for those interested in going to the 3.x kernel version on this model.

We seem to have an issue where going directly to the latest version from a 2.6 version causes a brick. so the prerequisite step is to flash 3.x 21530 even though it;s not usable.

This guy seemed to have wrote it the best. Thanks again.

kingsmill wrote:
Based on previous notes from Mazout360 and madman999 this is how I got the latest K3.x image installed and working on my ASUS RT-N16

1/ Install and configure the latest version of K2.x
For example,
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/07-24-2013-r22118/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin

2/ Install dd-wrt.v24-21530_NEWD-2_K3.x_big.bin
This image can be downloaded from the first note in http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86437&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1487.

3/ Upgrade to the latest version of dd-wrt K3 using the .trx file. I did NOT select reset to factory defaults. Currently the latest version is dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N16.trx
This image can be downloaded from
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/07-24-2013-r22118/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N16.trx

Everything seems to working fine except that the LAN and Wireless MAC address were the same. I was not able to fix this from the Setup, MAC Address Clone GUI. To fix this I added the following line to Administration, Commands, Save Startup.
nvram set wl0_hwaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx && nvram commit
Substitute xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx with the LAN MAC address + 2. The LAN MAC address can be seen from the Status, Sys-Info page.

Everything seems to work fine. Note that I have not tested PPPoE.

Geoff.

I got it to work roughly following this guide but would like to point out a few nuances.

* In step 1, you should reset the router to default before going to step 2. I didn't use the 30-30-30, just reset it from the Administration tab.
* Immediately follow step 2 without changing any settings (probably obvious). However, when you upgrade the firmware, do not choose the "reset to default" option but this doesn't seem important.
* Immediately follow step 3 without changing any settings (probably obvious). However, when you upgrade the firmware, do not choose the "reset to default" option. I soft bricked my rt-n16 the only time I did that. It could just be bad luck.
* If the router boots, you will probably get the MAC address problem and no WAN address as mentioned. That happened to me. Try to manually reset your rt-n16 now to default from the Administration tab.

Reboot and your rt-n16 should get an external MAC address and connect to the internet. No hacks, just works. So there is no need to change the command/startup page.

I didn't test this extensively so hopefully it works for you. My additional steps are pretty low risk compared to what will have to do so I think they are worth a try.
Doddy81
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:12    Post subject: RT-N16 Wifi Reply with quote
Hello people,
I just installed and configured my RT-N16 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/24/13) big - build 22118 and I noticed that the WIFI turns off after some time (I am not sure how long it lasts but I am sure I have to reset the router every time the WIFI goes off).
I left the WIFI settings as default (except the password setup), so it is possible that there are some settings to be done...
Is there anyone that experienced the same problem? How did you solve it?
Thank you!
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
are you running the 2.6 kernel version? it;s been noted that there are wifi issues in that version on multiple routers. if so, switch to 21676.

or you could switch to the 3.x version of 22118.

Common F.A.Q.

Doddy81
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello madman,
thanks for your reply. I tried both the firmwares you indicated but no luck.
21676 makes the router CPU working over 100% load so I can't see if it solves the wifi problem.
22118 3.x bricked the router so I rolled back to the original firmware until I find a more reliable version of DD-WRT.
By the way the original firmware makes a lot of problems with the FTP server I have in my NAS, since I am using FTPes and the router doesn't like the packets Filezilla sends/receives I think...
Bye!
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
when you upgraded to 3.x 22118 that bricked, did you follow the advice to go to from 2.6 kernel version to 3.x 21530 first then to 3.x 22118? Atleast 4 or 5 of us have done this and not had a brick condition.

Common F.A.Q.

abvogel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the instructions here madman. Do you have a recommendation for initial trx firmware to install to be able to follow the instructions to get to 3.x? I work in IT, but I haven't used dd-wrt before.

It's odd, the router database has a much older version of trx and NEWD files listed than I've seen in this thread. Just trying to figure out what's going on so I don't brick my router.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
it should not matter what 2.6 Mini TRX file you use to initially get DD-WRT on the router. I would just use the one in the wiki-i think it 14929?

Once you get DD-WRT on, you can then update to the latest 2.6 version(i think the last version that worked without issue was 21676), then go to 3.x after you are confident your router is working okay. The important thing is for the NVRAM to get formatted correctly to 64K-which I believe 3.x 21530 does but 22118 does not.

Common F.A.Q.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 21
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: